Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2016, 08:21 PM

Sup ply and demand
Old 10-07-2016, 08:40 PM

Found a good deal from older pals that had friends that were replacing there 4 year old truck in mint condition with 130.000 kms.

Picked it up for $14.000.

Not a fully loaded unit, but it has AC, crures control and very comfortable seats,,, little motor that is good on fuel so far.

Keep your eyes open as it will work out for you.

Don
Old 10-07-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Lots of demand for used Canadian vehicles in the states.
yup. My 09 went to the states 2 years ago and my 13 went this year.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
What are you expecting for $2000? That's the price of what, maybe 2 fitted suits, some shoes and a few shirts? People pay $2000 for a nice mountain bike. I saw one for $8000+ when I looked at United Cycle. And $200 won't even buy a rifle scope that most guys would put on a 30-06 any more.
Truck prices are getting crazy. What do I expect? I expect to pick up a used 68-80 pickup for under $2000 that is safe and reliable. Just a few years ago I wasn't even looking for a truck, came across a 1990 stepside 2wd, had a little body work done, put on a ram air hood, different tires and rims, and stayed under $2000 for a very reliable and fun to drive truck. Now that I am actually looking for a low budget truck, there seems to be nothing under $2000 that still has floorboards, and what I said is prices are getting out of control. It is not the price of used body panels either that is expensive, it is getting someone to install and paint that gets pricey. I looked the other day, and there are great deals on the older motorcycles everywhere I looked, only I don't need any more cycles, but the fact is those prices have not skyrocketed. As far as your scope comment goes, I live in Mennonite country, and "most guys" here don't want to dish out $200 for a scope.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewsm View Post
I am shopping for a decent used truck. Looking online at what is offered and checking sites like Blackbook and VMR I think I am getting an idea of current wholesale and retail prices.

My local dealers are listing trucks in the 2008 to 2010 range at up to $10K above average retail for basic units. Are they nuts or are people paying those prices nuts or am I nuts

example: 2008 XLT 4X4 125 K Ford average retail 14k they are asking 24K
Think I will wait till February when things are dead. They might be a little more reasonable I hope.
Out rageous price for that truck. I bought my 2013 XLT 4X4 new 200 km on it, in March of 2014, clear out price was $30,000 Only $6,000 more than the one your talking about. Wait till Jan / Feb. and start looking at last year new models. I'm sure you will find some good clear out prices of the new vehicals.

My son's was simialar for his 2014 , bought in March 2015 and payed $32,000 and he has many more options on his that I don't have.

You have to find a dealer that is willing to work for you and tell them what your looking for as far as options. They will search the computer system for inventory across the province and can bring one in from another dealer if need be.
I like Waterloo ford in Edmonton, they have been very good to us for many years.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:07 AM

Have a buddy who's now on about his 4th new ford in last 2 years. Runs em for 1/2y and 25-30k and ships it south. Turns around and buys a new one and it might cost him 2500-3000$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Save a few hundred and get a TH350. Turning that TH400 is a waste of fuel. No crate 350 needs a TH400. Better yet just get an old farmer 4 speed. No need for them fancy muncies.

I am actually thinking of spending 80 grand to redo a 72 suburban with a duramax and Eaton. A/C, cruise, the whole nine. 80 grand buys a new suburban that is worth 28 used in 5 years. A restored 72 suburban with most of the newer creature comforts may only depreciate to 65 in 5 years.
You may be right there, but just a few examples as a talking point.

You'll never get back what you put into it, but at least it'll be unique and have some more collector/enthusiast value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
Truck prices are getting crazy. What do I expect? I expect to pick up a used 68-80 pickup for under $2000 that is safe and reliable. Just a few years ago I wasn't even looking for a truck, came across a 1990 stepside 2wd, had a little body work done, put on a ram air hood, different tires and rims, and stayed under $2000 for a very reliable and fun to drive truck. Now that I am actually looking for a low budget truck, there seems to be nothing under $2000 that still has floorboards, and what I said is prices are getting out of control. It is not the price of used body panels either that is expensive, it is getting someone to install and paint that gets pricey. I looked the other day, and there are great deals on the older motorcycles everywhere I looked, only I don't need any more cycles, but the fact is those prices have not skyrocketed. As far as your scope comment goes, I live in Mennonite country, and "most guys" here don't want to dish out $200 for a scope.
Well most guys don't live in Mennonite country, especially on AO....

Point is, you don't get much for $2000 now, especially if it's getting into antique or classic territory. There are still some deals to be had on the newer less desirable trucks.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 10-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Banned

There are still some good deals out there. I got this 2008 F150 off a guy who is here on a work visa that expired November 17 and he has to leave the country. No dents, everything is tight and works, rides and runs smooth with lots of pep. I paid way, way, way under $14k. Way.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Banned

I've bought my last couple of vehicles from a very good independent used dealer in Edmonton. My last purchase was low mileage 2008 Trailblazer that I bought in 2013 that he had listed for $10000 (but because I had dealt with him before he came down a bit).
It was loaded and would have probably sold for $40000 new, so I figured it was a great deal. So far the only expenses I've had (not counting oil and such) has been a serpentine belt and brakes.
Anyhoo...I sent a friend to him a couple of months ago. He told my pal that he had very little on the lot because, as has been mentioned here all the good stuff seems to be going to the 'States, and that to stay in business that he was marking up the good vehicles he got more to stay afloat.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:54 AM

I buy new now. At the end of the year. My last truck was $16000 off sticker for a 3/4 tone the one before that $13000 on a half tone and I dont buy loaded trucks either. I look on kijiji and see used trucks selling for what I payed.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:12 AM

I have had a LOT of trucks, and the last one I bought was a new '16 F150 eco boost lariat. It was almost $15g off retail, they gave me great trade for my '12, and I got zero (0 nada, none) percent interest, $300 per month.
I can't be bothered to fix someone else's trouble when you can get a deal like that?
I am done buying anything used, unless it is just a boot around beater or snowplow truck that will get thrashed anyway.
There are deals to be had in this economy, and zero percent is a wonderful thing with the warranty they give.