Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-08-2016, 09:34 PM

Default Hand Held Priming Tools

After 40,000+ rounds my round Lee Auto Prime finally bit the dust. I would gladly replace it with the same but presume they are no longer available.

Any recommendations on a replacement RCBS, Lyman or Lee?
Old 08-08-2016, 09:35 PM

I use the RCBS Universal Priming Tool. It is not cheap, but it is very smooth, and no shellholders are required.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 PM

I concur with Elk... RCBS is top notch.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2016, 09:53 PM

Smile

Why argue with success replace it with LEE

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 08-08-2016, 09:58 PM

The older style lee hand primer with the round tray is the best I have ever used.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:58 PM

Been using the Lee priming tools for longer than I can remember and have no plans to change even though I have tried several other brands
Cat
Old 08-08-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222rem View Post
Why argue with success replace it with LEE
I would if they made the older round model.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:05 PM

Default Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
The older style lee hand primer with the round tray is the best I have ever used.
My favourite as well.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:10 PM

I really like my Lyman hand primer but I also like the idea of not needing shell holders!
Old 08-08-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
After 40,000+ rounds my round Lee Auto Prime finally bit the dust. I would gladly replace it with the same but presume they are no longer available.

Any recommendations on a replacement RCBS, Lyman or Lee?
I am like you I wore my lee priming tool out. I am not a lee fan, but this is the best priming tool I have used, (it was the old round one).
I have replaced it with a new RCBS tool. It works ok, but is no where as smooth or easy to use as the Lee tool is.
I would rather have the Lee tool back. I thought I would never say that LOL.
The RCBS one I have is the newest one. The Lees with there shell holder is easier and quicker to use.

I didn't think it would be possible to wear a priming tool out. But obviously it is which is a good thing it means we are loading enough ammo.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:59 PM

Smile The new Lee

My experience is that the new one is better. I know it is hard to believe but it has a square tray which takes a box of primers better and a small feed ramp which makes it harder to jamb 2 primers when feeding. I have both and like the new one better. I think the old handle fits both.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:05 PM

X 2 on the new Lee handheld. Like Densa44, I also have one. While I am not gonna argue and say it is better than this or that, I will say that it works exceptionally well, and I can probably buy three for the cost of some of the others. I've primed thousands of rounds with it and it is as good as new. I am generally not a Lee fan, but they got it right with this one for sure. Whenever it does wear out, I will not be entertaining getting any other brand, as there is just no good reason for me to.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I use the RCBS Universal Priming Tool. It is not cheap, but it is very smooth, and no shellholders are required.
+1
Old 08-09-2016, 10:29 AM

I have old and new Lee, old RCBS with shell Holders, new RCBS with no shell holders (Both RCBS do not have a tray) and the RCBS strip fed and Dillon. The Lee are the cream of the crop, and that is the only Lee product I say that about. The new square tray is easier to load primers to and works as well as the older round tray model. I can't tell any difference when loading.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:44 AM

Lee
Old 08-09-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have old and new Lee, old RCBS with shell Holders, new RCBS with no shell holders (Both RCBS do not have a tray) and the RCBS strip fed and Dillon. The Lee are the cream of the crop, and that is the only Lee product I say that about. The new square tray is easier to load primers to and works as well as the older round tray model. I can't tell any difference when loading.
The RCBS Universal Priming Tool does come with a square tray that makes it very easy to load primers..
Old 08-09-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The Lee Auto-Prime XR with the square trays is the only tool I have used a lot.
It works just fine but the plastic tray cover tabs have all broken off, so I just use an elastic band to hold the cover in place which works even better.

IIRC, I needed to grind extra clearance for 338LM, and as typical for Lee products, did a bit of finish grinding to the handle and lever to remove the sharp edges and smooth the mold parting lines.

The Ergo prime looks like it would be more comfortable, but I have not tried one and they are a lot more $$ so will just keep using what I have.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:42 AM

I still have some round tray Lee's. They do wear or break eventually. I tried an RCBS and a Hornady, both wound up in the garbage. I would try a square tray Lee before anything else again. And if you don't like the feel of it, 21st century makes a body you can use with the square trays (used to have them for round ones too), just save the trays & shellholders and swap them over to the new body. Not the cheapest option, but, you won't have to buy anything else, and they are made the way a good unit should be made. They are worth the money.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:16 PM

I use the rcbs universal, so far it's been great
Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Gone Hunting

The autoprime is still made. It looks a little different but still does the same job in much the same way.

They have a new product out that sounds interesting.

I've used a Lee safety Prime for years. It works but I'm thinking of switching to the Autoprime for better feel when seating.

I buy what works because I don't read gun magazines.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-09-2016, 01:47 PM

I used a Lee for years until it wore out, then an RCBS until I lost the large primer rod, now I use it for small primers and the newer RCBS style for large. Not having to change/buy shell holders is a plus. The tube style priming system that came with my Pacific 007 press was most frustrating for a new reloader, there were more primers on the floor than in the cartridges.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
^this!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 AM

My favourite is the Lyman 310 tool but you need dies for every case size. Otherwise the Lee hand prime works.