Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 PM

Question Gaining Land Access?

Wondering what the best way to go about asking for permission onto other peoples property for Hobby Metal Detecting? Is just showing up at their door acceptable or is it better too call so it's not so intimidating? Foot access only of course. I'm sure there is farmers out there that would be interested in seeing my finds after I'm done on there property and letting them have there pick on any items/heirlooms that may be found.

Anyone have any info regarding the legality of taking coin/items dug up from County/Provincial/Crown land? Wouldn't want too be guilty of theft or trespassing.

I'm new too the whole metal detecting thing but i understand the importance of replacing the plugs i dig, taking all trash i find, and making it look like i was never there.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 PM

I'm a landowner and I don't mind if someone comes to the door to ask permission. Most landowners want to see who you are and what you drive for security reasons. Then at least if something happened we know who you are. Just make sure when you ask you don't drag on too long of a conversation at the door. I hate it when people do that. Most guys are busy and don't have all day.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 PM

X2
Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRange View Post
I'm a landowner and I don't mind if someone comes to the door to ask permission. Most landowners want to see who you are and what you drive for security reasons. Then at least if something happened we know who you are. Just make sure when you ask you don't drag on too long of a conversation at the door. I hate it when people do that. Most guys are busy and don't have all day.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Banned

OP... yer going about it all wrong.
If you want to find coins you need access to couches and under truck seats... thats where I find most of mine.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 PM

Default Gaining Land Access?

I believe in being up front, I started printing off small business cards with basic information.
name
vehicle description
phone number

Not saying it will get me access, but it hasn't hurt to date.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 PM

done some detecting too and seems when you first bring up the word, most land owners will say..."Awwwh You wont find anything" then its like a lil light bulb comes on in their head..."hmm..what if he finds something..." Second thing they generally say is "ok I get half of what you find" I reply "deal" ...Ill detect, you do the diggin." it ends right there lol and I cant recall being refused entry. yep Be sure mention the respectful points like plugs trash and show the treasures, [just like you mentioned in your OP.] What machine you runnin? have fun and digdeep chain
Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 PM

im looking to obtain permission to hunt on land around the grande prairie area.im am very ethical and just sick of hunting public land.i am primarily a bo hunter so i make very little noise
Old 07-14-2013, 06:07 PM

Just an FYI ( my buddy who is an archeologist just wrote this on another site)... It would apply to historical artifacts found on private or public land through activities like metal detecting, hunting, fishing, quadding, hiking, Etc!

I know some people are aware, but just thought I'd send a quick reminder, about the Historical Resources Act of Alberta. With the flood, numerous archaeological and paleontological sites have either been exposed or further exposed. According to the Act, it is illegal to remove any artifacts with fines up to $50K. If you happen to come across a find, please report it to Alberta Culture at (780) 431-2300. The best thing to do is take photos and a GPS waypoint to send to them. If you have any questions you can contact them. Please pass along the word as the minute we take these objects away, we loose all information associated with them and, according to the act, are destroying the site. While I know these objects are pretty amazing, please let professionals record the contextual information and contribute to helping preserve our past. I compare it to poaching. We don't like to see fish poached from our rivers, and my fellow colleagues don't appreciate seeing these items poached from their context. There is a great article from the Herald that highlights this and it reminds us that both fossils AND archaeological artifacts are protected: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...179/story.html