Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Default 4th class PE exam question

Hi, another quick question about the 4th class PE exams, there is allot of formula in the text books to do with acceleration, velocity, mechanical advantage, the standard kg to g, km to meters, velocity ratio, areas, power, work done, surface area of cylinders and spheres, along with the common ones that most people are familiar with like area, diameter of a cirlce, ect, what I was wondering is do we have to have all those formulas memorized before going in for the test or is there a formula book thats available to a student to take in to the exam so that you can refer to all these equations and formula.
As of right now I only have the workbooks and the part A1 A2 B1 and B2 books, the boiler and pressure vessels act,
Im going to have to make seriuos room in the brain if we are expected to remember all those formula
Old 07-13-2013, 02:21 PM

I think it best that you contact the boiler branch that is in your province. Besides, this is stuff you should know if you don't I wouldn't attempt to tests.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:50 PM

Check but they used to let you take in the Handbook of Formulae and Physical Constants
Old 07-13-2013, 05:55 PM

they supply the handbooks, there is one copy of the code books that the whole exam room has to share. For the edmonton exams that is. When you apply for an exam, all of this information is given to you.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Banned

from what I remember, the 4th is heavily weighted with codes and not so much about the course.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:12 PM

Each exam is different,on my fourth 15 years ago we had lots of math/physics /technical question with code stuff mixed
Old 07-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
Each exam is different,on my fourth 15 years ago we had lots of math/physics /technical question with code stuff mixed
lol....my 4th was longer than that ago. I wouldn't use my example as gospel for sure.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
lol....my 4th was longer than that ago. I wouldn't use my example as gospel for sure.
That and things do have a way of changing dont they
The fourth exam isnt really all the tough if a person is properly prepared
Old 07-14-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripnaxel View Post
they supply the handbooks, there is one copy of the code books that the whole exam room has to share. For the edmonton exams that is. When you apply for an exam, all of this information is given to you.
The last paper I wrote was in Lloydminster and they didn't provide one. It was a good thing the I brought mine as the guy next to me didn't.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:14 PM

The exams for absa are easier than the exams you have to write for nait if you took any courses through them. I was pretty relieved when I looked througb my test booklets each time. I think you need to study more for part B because it has all those picky little questions about refridgeration etc where in part a you can get some easy marks on the math.

I finished my fourth just over a few months ago, it isn't near as bad as people make it out to be yet some how 1/3 fail according to their stats?
Old 07-14-2013, 05:30 PM

Perhaps it's time for a power engineering sub forum. Cripes, is it something with that job that makes you go online to an unrelated web page to ask questions?
Old 07-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Perhaps it's time for a power engineering sub forum. Cripes, is it something with that job that makes you go online to an unrelated web page to ask questions?
I have another idea , they could come up with a general forum where people can rant about politics, ask about broken iPhone screens and CCW... or anything for that matter. It would be like general discussion asking peoples opinions on any topic.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM

You will never be "Power Engineers"
I have been in the industry with a ticket for near 28 years now.
I have never been called, nor referred to myself as a PE, and likely neither will any one else with a ticket.
Maybe plant operator, field Op, steam engineer, shifty, or just an Operator.
Power engineers is a term the wanna-be's like to use.

TBark