Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 PM

Default Electritian's advise please

I'm instaling a hydraulic cattle squeeze with a 5 HP single phase 220 V motor, I'm not sure of the power draw off hand. It is 220 ft away from power.
I plan to take power from before the existing breaker box and instal a breaker box near the squeeze.
The new box would power the squeeze (5 hp motor) and 2 waterers 5 amp each as well as a couple plugs 20 amps each.
Questions
Is that a good way to do this ?
What size breaker box is recommended ?
What size cable should I use for this 220 ft run direct burial ?

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
I'm instaling a hydraulic cattle squeeze with a 5 HP single phase 220 V motor, I'm not sure of the power draw off hand. It is 220 ft away from power.
I plan to take power from before the existing breaker box and instal a breaker box near the squeeze.
The new box would power the squeeze (5 hp motor) and 2 waterers 5 amp each as well as a couple plugs 20 amps each.
Questions
Is that a good way to do this ?
What size breaker box is recommended ?
What size cable should I use for this 220 ft run direct burial ?

Thanks for any input you can offer.
I think i would i use a 3/0 And run a 100 amp Sub panel. Depending on what you plan on running all the time ? and in the future ?
How bigs your main panel ? How much is it drawing now ?

Also that would allow you to upgrade in the future if you ever needed it. Which happens Often but i dont know your situation.

Last edited by BBKiller; 07-12-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 AM

Default Electrical

More information would help

Size of existing cable
Length of run to the new location
Size of main breaker
Do you have a combo meter/breaker in your yard feeding the existing load

Pictures would help
Old 07-13-2013, 08:01 AM

In the yard we have a transformer feeding the power companies meter which then feeds several buildings and their sub panels also the well has its own breaker box.
The run is 220 ft and no existing cable there yet that's what I need to size.
What size and type cable for direct burial ?

Thanks for all the help. I hope I'm answering your questions.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 AM

Motors are a bit tricky to size for. It calculates to a #1 AWG copper, based on 160A starting current. The problem you will likely have is the utility's transformer size and its limitations for inrush current. You may have to "hot-rod" the motor for better start up but it is a hydraulic application so starting torque is not as significant as some other conditions.

Wire size for 67m is #1 AWG or larger, in 35mm conduit minimum
Source breaker should be 100A
Panal ampacity rating of 100A, circuit count 12 minimum
Cattle squeeze breaker should be 50A and #8AWG
#12 AWG for your 20A plugs, #14 for the waterers

Wiring method can vary. Conduit and wire is the most versatile as it can be upgraded, but also the most expensive. Personnally I would install a 2" PVC but I always install larger conduit for all underground installations. I put 2" to all locations for power, water, communications etc. You can also use DB-II conduit in lieu of PVC and save some money.

Several cables will work.
NMWU is acceptable and the most economical. Depth and protection will depend on location and vehicle traffic. I would recommend 1m deep but it could be less.
Tech cable is an upgrade to NMWU as it has an armour and exterior jacket, but it is more expensive, likely close to the price of conduit and wire but less labour to install overall.

That is code calculated. If it was mine, I would save on the wire cost and install #3 in 2" PVC and add 50% to the starting capacitor of the motor if the transformer won't carry the 5HP start up.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:38 AM

Default Wiring

If your pole service is the usual combo meter with a splitter under it I would run a # 2 USEB to the new location Install a panel and throw in a ground plate.It doubtful that you will be using all of those loads at the same time so it should work fine.Be careful when you backfill so no rocks fall on the cable and cause damage.A 5HP motor is not all that large so I wouldn't worry about starting current.I will say that some farms have less than 100 amps for a main breaker and if loaded to much will trip.The utility company wants extra cash per month to upsize

I could never understand that.You have to pay extra money per month to get a larger breaker and the ability to use more power.Great to be the power company!!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
If your pole service is the usual combo meter with a splitter under it I would run a # 2 USEB to the new location Install a panel and throw in a ground plate.It doubtful that you will be using all of those loads at the same time so it should work fine. Be careful when you backfill so no rocks fall on the cable and cause damage.A 5HP motor is not all that large so I wouldn't worry about starting current.
Experience tells me that you ignore starting current at your own peril. The hydraulic system might be OK since it starts at minimal load, maybe not, depends on the size of transformer, less so the wire size. A cattle squeeze and other equipment would LIKELY all be used at the same time. Your suggested wire size is fine, but the motor (or utility transformer) may need some attention.

Quote:
I will say that some farms have less than 100 amps for a main breaker and if loaded to much will trip.The utility company wants extra cash per month to upsize

I could never understand that.You have to pay extra money per month to get a larger breaker and the ability to use more power.Great to be the power company!!
You pay for the larger transformer (and installation charges), not just the breaker. Same as you do when you get the basic service equipment installation.

Anyway, GL RC.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 AM

Default Last post on this

The OP asked for opinions
I gave mine

5 HP motor will require a 2 pole 30 amp breaker
The reason the power company charges extra each month for a increase in breaker size is greed and because they can
Every farm or acreage in the country has it's own transformer on the pole very capable of delivering 100 amps. In 99.99999% of the cases it really is just changing the breaker
Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the comments that's just what I was looking for.
I've got great input on the thread and by PM.
I think we've got it covered now. This board is very helpful for stuff like this.