Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Default Fishin buddy 120 with pontoon boat?

Does anyone here use the Fishin Buddy 120 for their pontoon boat? I was wondering if the 24 inch transducer is long enough to get into the water when attached to the boat.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDirty View Post
Does anyone here use the Fishin Buddy 120 for their pontoon boat? I was wondering if the 24 inch transducer is long enough to get into the water when attached to the boat.
Fish cat makes a buddy holsters for the boat. Dont buy the one from hummingbird themselves, its not wide enough to work with a pontoon or Vboat. 24" is not a problem. I have the 140c and use it with my pontoon and vboats quite a bit.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 PM

How is the battery life on the 140c? Other than colour and the 40' teloscopin transducer, what other features make it worth forking out the extra $100+ for that model.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 AM

I have a 120 Jerry rigged on my Scadden 'toon boat. Works great. I had to Jerry rig it to mount on the cross bar/foot rail. It was the best position for it so it didn't interfer with the oars while rowing.

Battery life on it isn't too bad. Better than I thought actually. 3 maybe 4 full days on the water at 8 hours at a time. Costco always has good deals on AA batteries.

Not sure if you need to fork out the extra cash on colour though. My monochrome display works great in any light.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 AM

I had an original Fishin buddy (2200?), and now have the Hummingbird 130 that I have used with the float tube, and on three different pontoons and my 14ft boat..
For the pontoons, I used a single strut, bicycle rat trap mount that has a split collar to mount to the bike, drilled a hole on the end of it for the plastic cone on the Fishin Buddy mount for boats. It has a plastic collar inside the split collar, that happens to be exactly the right size for the oarlock hoops on the
Outcast boats. I can swing it up and back to row, or down and out to kick or anchor, it has about a 22deg bend in the strut a few inches out from the split collar and the strut is square tubing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike rack.jpg (3.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Sweet, thanks for the info guys. One other question about stability.....if you had an electric motor on your toon, and were planning to travel from point a to point b...can you go max speed without the fish finder busting off? Or are you more limited to a medium speed when the fish finder is attached.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDirty View Post
Sweet, thanks for the info guys. One other question about stability.....if you had an electric motor on your toon, and were planning to travel from point a to point b...can you go max speed without the fish finder busting off? Or are you more limited to a medium speed when the fish finder is attached.
Hi BiggDirty, I have found that my 120 wants to come loose from the collar it sits in and cock sideways (potentiallly causing it to fall in the drink) at higher speeds. It's easy to slide it out of the collar and place it in the boat when you're on the move though. Then when you get to the next fishin spot, just drop it back into the collar and you're set! Really like mine....use it on my 12' aluminum, pontoon boat, and am now rigging my sit on top kayak to accept the 120 also. Versatile unit.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I had an original Fishin buddy (2200?), and now have the Hummingbird 130 that I have used with the float tube, and on three different pontoons and my 14ft boat..
For the pontoons, I used a single strut, bicycle rat trap mount that has a split collar to mount to the bike, drilled a hole on the end of it for the plastic cone on the Fishin Buddy mount for boats. It has a plastic collar inside the split collar, that happens to be exactly the right size for the oarlock hoops on the
Outcast boats. I can swing it up and back to row, or down and out to kick or anchor, it has about a 22deg bend in the strut a few inches out from the split collar and the strut is square tubing.
Do you have any pics of this mount for your pontoon? I'm curious.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 PM

I see I managed to break the pocket mount again. Just have to reglue it, and I have another one anyway, might drill it and put a thrubolt in it. This one first got broke coming into shore in a very large wind, got caught on a bush. Glued it back together and it held for a long time, it is about 16-17 yrs old now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h&h and fishinbuddy mount 001.jpg (61.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg h&h and fishinbuddy mount 003.jpg (60.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I see I managed to break the pocket mount again. Just have to reglue it, and I have another one anyway, might drill it and put a thrubolt in it. This one first got broke coming into shore in a very large wind, got caught on a bush. Glued it back together and it held for a long time, it is about 16-17 yrs old now.
Thanks for the pics. I was curious how you mounted the finder's cone/craddle to your extension. I assume you just put a bolt through the existing hole of the vertical part of the craddle.