Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-12-2011, 08:35 PM

Default Locating hunting land in Alberta?

Evening all,

Been reading a long time and am very impressed with the knowledge and helpful attitudes on this forum.

It's my first post here, and I'd like to ask about something that is driving me up the wall here. I'm really gunning for coyotes, but having a hell of a time finding where to go to hunt them.

I searched around this forum and got great suggestions for WMU, learned about the green zone area thanks to a helpful person posting the map, and still do not know where to go.

I looked on the Alberta SRD "map" (if you can call it that). I hit all the buttons and did as much as I could with that useless thing, I still cannot determine where the crown / private lands are. When I think I finally found a decent looking area, I check google earth only to find it's a farmers area or someone/somepersons have property on it.

Does anyone share my frustration? Where do I go? I don't want to plan something only to drive a few hours out and find out that it is not public land.

Are there helpful suggestions? Perhaps a suggestion of a region I could explore on a map? Not asking for your own secret hunting lands of course, but a point in the right direction. I just do not know where to go to hunt and every search I make on a forum/Alberta SRD map/google earth turns up nothing.

I would really love to get my first coyote. Looking forward to hearing from those experienced in hunting in Alberta.

Thank you all very much in advance

cheers
Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 PM

Can't really help you with locations but the best way to find out if land is private or crown is to pick up a county land ownership map for the area you're considering.

You can usually get them from the county office or from Maptown, you'll pay more at Maptown but don't have to wait for it to be shipped or drive to said county office to get it.

Edit: Forgot to mention, a lot of county websites have PDF versions of their current county maps if you don't wanna pay for a paper copy.

Last edited by Slannesh; 05-12-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: forgot to mention...
Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 PM
sheephunter

Here's a great resource

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/de...-guide/search/
Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM

I have definitely shared ur frustration. Best option, find a county, and google that counties map. I still do that to this day. Paper copy is good, but webpage is free and convenient. Hope this helps. Down with Yotes!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 PM

Go for a drive, and knock on some doors. Most ranchers are happy to let you shoot the coyotes. Just have to ask, nicely.
As far as areas, all over the place. I see them walking in pairs, and on one particular farm there WAS a pack of 9.
Tullfan
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM

Thank you all so much! I finally have a starting place at least now. I never thought to use county maps. I came from Ontario, and had buddies who had hunted there for a while, so they simply took me to or suggested areas for me to go. Having been here only a few months, I was pretty much alone and confused.

Between the map (great site btw) and the ideas for county maps, I think I can piece everything else together.

The rancher idea is a great one as well. I think I may take a look at the ranches north of Lancaster Park and see whats up.

Thanks again everyone
Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Administrator

In the June issue of Alberta Outdoorsmen, TJ has an excellent article on the Do's and Don'ts of asking for permission of private land. When it hits the stands late this month, early June, make sure you pick up a copy.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:53 AM

Thanks Rob look forward to next months issue!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:51 AM

coyotes are all over the place, they like to bunch up at feedlots, farms, places that have dead piles in winter. most people hate coyotes so if u ask nicely you should be able to get permission. good luck