Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-09-2022, 06:17 PM

Default Catarack creek

Since 2017 the numbers fish in the creek have decreased every year an the last few years there is virtually none. I believe the logging in lost creek (main tributary) has caused so much sediment in the creek there is no food for them an they have starved. I have contacted the head fisheries bio in Alberta an she doesn't think there is a problem. I also talked with people from the Alberta Conservation Association an they told me to talk to the fisheries bio. I contacted the trout unlimited people an An there bio an they were going to Mabe look into it. What can be done? I know this area very good an it’s sad to see the creek dead of fish where my kids would catch dozens every day we fished.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:58 PM

Whirling Disease!
Old 08-09-2022, 07:18 PM

Nope
Old 08-09-2022, 10:26 PM

Are you speaking about the upper meadows section? Isn’t Lost creek a trib of the oldman?
Old 08-09-2022, 11:22 PM

Did you get up past where the old big beaverdams used to be? Havent been up there for a couple years now but still got some 12 plus inchers in some of the deeper pools way upstream last time we hiked way up where we always used to fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Since 2017 the numbers fish in the creek have decreased every year an the last few years there is virtually none. I believe the logging in lost creek (main tributary) has caused so much sediment in the creek there is no food for them an they have starved. I have contacted the head fisheries bio in Alberta an she doesn't think there is a problem. I also talked with people from the Alberta Conservation Association an they told me to talk to the fisheries bio. I contacted the trout unlimited people an An there bio an they were going to Mabe look into it. What can be done? I know this area very good an it’s sad to see the creek dead of fish where my kids would catch dozens every day we fished.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:58 AM

The AB government doesn't think there is a problem with the habitat destruction caused by resource extraction?....boy that is surprising.

Like when they allowed clear cutting in the valley with the most important bull trout spawning stream in Oldman drainage with inadequate buffer zones??

Fish don't fill bank accounts....they actually just get in the way
Old 08-10-2022, 07:00 AM

I have explored from the headwaters down to the trunk road including lost creek The last two years in the fall I went an looked into some of the big pools where they winter in an basically you could count them on one hand, those pools would have hundreds of fish in them in the past. If this has happened an no one really cares or finds out what caused it. The upper old man drainage is only 10 km or so away everyone’s loved Livingston river highwood river? If the fish were disappearing in those watersheds you know there would be something happening.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:07 AM

I seen hidden creek flowing mud into the clear old man an nothing was done. If it was oil an gas development they would be hung but forestry is aloud to rape the land. I made this post to make everyone aware. Don't believe me? go try an catch a fish in Catarack.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:56 PM

Default Whirling disease... affecting char?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Whirling Disease!
Don:

I thought whirling disease affected mostly cutts and rainbows,..."true trout", as you well know.

Are you aware of any studies that detail WD's effects on char? Didn't think it was even close to being as devastating to bulls and brookies as it is for trout.

Just curious.
Smitty
Old 08-10-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
I seen hidden creek flowing mud into the clear old man an nothing was done. If it was oil an gas development they would be hung but forestry is aloud to rape the land. I made this post to make everyone aware. Don't believe me? go try an catch a fish in Catarack.
My suggestion is to keep hammering away at the bios. You could send an email / letter to the ministry...for all the good it will do.

Keep on this; your anecdotal observations are not taken too seriously by AEP and by bios, nevertheless, it's important to keep on top of it.

Love Cataract; but I'm not a guy who can help a lot here, being based out of Edmonton. Plus, we TU guys here are trying to keep an watchful eye on the Pembina watershed (amongst other projects).

Good report; thanks.
Smitty
Old 08-11-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
My suggestion is to keep hammering away at the bios. You could send an email / letter to the ministry...for all the good it will do.

Keep on this; your anecdotal observations are not taken too seriously by AEP and by bios, nevertheless, it's important to keep on top of it.

Love Cataract; but I'm not a guy who can help a lot here, being based out of Edmonton. Plus, we TU guys here are trying to keep an watchful eye on the Pembina watershed (amongst other projects).

Good report; thanks.
Smitty
What is the status on the Pembina and it's tribs? Closed forever?
Old 08-11-2022, 12:00 PM

Is it really a bad thing if the brookies are wiped out?

Maybe this is a secret rehabilitation project between Forestry and SRD?

Use forestry to eliminate non-native fishes so natives can be re-established down the road....

Could be a solution to Prussian carp too?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-11-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
What is the status on the Pembina and it's tribs? Closed forever?
Year number 7 now. I hear rumor that people are fishing it despite the closure, or perhaps in spite of the closure.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:11 AM

I spent a day in cataract a couple of weeks ago as I had never fished it before. I did not see a trout in the ~2kms I walked, let alone catch one. Some nice pools too, but all empty.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:36 PM

That’s a bit shocking because the last time I fished there maybe 3-5 years ago (timeline is a little Fuzzy) as the years can blend together the creek was filthy with small 4-8 inch brookies near the campground