Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-29-2021, 07:03 AM

Default Wabamun Lake Fishery Update

For those who fish Wabamun Lake, I've uploaded to my blog my latest fishery update.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:31 AM

Nice write up.

It’s hard to notice that the Govt royally screwed up that lake.

Introduced so many walleye, that the trophy like fishery collapsed and there is virtually no new recruitment. In 5-10 years these walleyes will die and what will be left?

They should’ve never introduced the walleye, and left the lake for the pike. Pigeon and Lac St. Anne are close and offer great walleye fishing.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:08 AM

So if they had just left things alone we wouldn’t be in this mess perhaps? Or maybe if they had socked a few million perch and forage fish we would be sitting on a true trophy pike fishery.

These are the same people that are tossing around the idea of stocking Channel Catfish into some Alberta lakes?
Old 05-29-2021, 10:14 AM

The over stocking of walleye is a horrible trend in Alberta. Myself I believe they should have left wab as a pike fishery.

Stocking of perch would have been an improvement but in my opinion it would have just limited the damage. Should have left the walleye out and focused on pike
Old 05-29-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
The over stocking of walleye is a horrible trend in Alberta. Myself I believe they should have left wab as a pike fishery.

Stocking of perch would have been an improvement but in my opinion it would have just limited the damage. Should have left the walleye out and focused on pike

I should clarify. I was thinking a few million Perch and forage fish and no walleye.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I should clarify. I was thinking a few million Perch and forage fish and no walleye.
Yup that would likely seen interesting results. Might have people complaining the pike were too hard to catch because they were well fed lol

Tags
pike, wabamun, wabamun fishery, walleye, whitefish