Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2023, 08:39 PM

Default Goat draws

Anyone know why no tags for goats the last couple years?
Old 10-24-2023, 08:48 PM

Ya what is going on with this? Any communication? We were the last guys to shoot a nice old Billy in 400 and the next year they shut it down. Wondering how much Indian harvest there is? Ran into a few guys hunting goats.
Old 10-24-2023, 09:23 PM

G-bear population increase certainly isn’t helping.

I know of a girl a few years ago doing goat counts got mauled by a grizz and survived luckily by stabbing it.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:30 AM

Poor numbers due to a couple reasons, regulated hunting being the least concern. Low population numbers, which could be paretially because of poor population counts/low priority of population counts. One of the biggest reasons is the non-regulated harvests of goats including nanny's.
Old 10-25-2023, 04:52 PM

Sheep hunting is great because it gives an opportunity to chat with a number of conservation officers as well as fish and wildlife officers. Visited with a fine young officer just the other day. G bear subject came up first, initiated by me of course. He spends a good portion of his time dealing with bears.....too much time. He and I very much agreed on the solution to the problem.
After that conversation was over I happened to say "so what's up with the goat tags or lack thereof"?
He told me straight up. I now know why there haven't been any tags as of late....
Old 10-25-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Sheep hunting is great because it gives an opportunity to chat with a number of conservation officers as well as fish and wildlife officers. Visited with a fine young officer just the other day. G bear subject came up first, initiated by me of course. He spends a good portion of his time dealing with bears.....too much time. He and I very much agreed on the solution to the problem.
After that conversation was over I happened to say "so what's up with the goat tags or lack thereof"?
He told me straight up. I now know why there haven't been any tags as of late....

Let’s hear it
Old 10-25-2023, 09:57 PM

It was interesting. Where we were last week we saw more goats than anything else. One basin had 9 another had 8. The one with 8 was 4 kids and 4 adults. Thats as far as my goat anatomy goes! haha
Old 10-27-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Let’s hear it
I never realized goat was traditional and tasty table fare. Sad. A hunting opportunity lost for many Albertans
Old 10-27-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
If it's the same "fine young officer" I chatted with some months ago, he didn't seem very savy on bears, couldn't believe a Grizzy made it all the way into Calgary. Must have been a Black. Buddy's dead cows were not conclusive, even though one was nicely buried.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8