Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2022, 08:30 AM

Default beauty day

On the Bow. decided to enjoy the sunshine and drown some worms, it was a slower fishing day but the walleye decided to do lots of bait stealing so I ended up catching 4 or 5 of them 2 types of suckers, and my first dino of the season a feisty 42 incher. The river is almost the lowest Ive seen it around here, watching pelicans waddle most of the way across isnt a pretty sight, I hope they are filling up on the prussians! found a whole tooth and a few more fossils, tooth was pretty much laying under the tip of my rod! Also got to see a ton of mulies and my first sighting of new antelope fawns this spring, they might not be big but boy can they burn up the prairie when they run!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220522_135720.jpg (33.0 KB, 708 views)
File Type: jpg 20220522_120829.jpg (37.6 KB, 715 views)
File Type: jpg 20220522_134830.jpg (49.4 KB, 758 views)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-23-2022, 12:43 PM

looks like a good day
Old 05-23-2022, 04:27 PM

Awesome looking day! That tooth is too cool, man I’d be putting that in a glass display case on the mantle if I found it!
Old 05-26-2022, 05:48 PM

Default May 26

I hit my favourite dino hole today, had a 43 incher in the first 15 minutes then it slowed way down. I saw 4 or 5 more jump, but they werent interested in my offerings so I just suntanned and watched nature go by. still a great day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220526_111132.jpg (35.2 KB, 351 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-26-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I hit my favourite dino hole today, had a 43 incher in the first 15 minutes then it slowed way down. I saw 4 or 5 more jump, but they werent interested in my offerings so I just suntanned and watched nature go by. still a great day
>>
Look at that guy! Awesome to see...Good for you WC!
Old 05-28-2022, 05:46 PM
Banned

Good days are easy to know. Looks like one already
Old 06-01-2022, 08:03 AM

Default May 30 update

I may as well use this thread to keep track, hopefully I have a great season this year and manage to hit my goal of 700. Sad seeing a line of pelicans shore to shore most barely knee deep in the Bow!
I hit my favourite spot yesterday, clear blue skies, pretty much no more wind than a gophers fart. the fishing was slow. took an hour or more for my first bite but it was a good fish! I ended up catching a sucker and 3 sturgeon, 49.25, 47 and 42 inches. its even more of a pleasure catching them in clear water and seeing them fight, I hope runoff starts soon so they can start to do some travelling and make some babies for my grandkids to catch!
I even found another handfull of "fossils" including another piece of a big tooth. I love this country!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220531_100233.jpg (74.9 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 20220531_120244.jpg (41.8 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 20220531_132919.jpg (25.8 KB, 224 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-16-2022, 07:53 PM

Default June 16, I love chocolate milk!

Rivers big and dirty, 5 pounds of weeds a cast, long walk to my spot, and only 4 bites all day. Fortunately all dinosaurs! 45 , 33, 43, and 53 inches. Getting closer to my goal.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-17-2022, 06:56 AM

Wayne, don’t ever leave this forum. Your threads are top shelf. Thank you, sir.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:48 AM

yeah, some amazing specimens. Good thread!

That shot back on 26-May is perfection. You sure handle them well, it shows.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Wayne, don’t ever leave this forum. Your threads are top shelf. Thank you, sir.
X2! So great to have you share your experiences on this forum.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:18 AM

That’s an awesome catch! Are you allowed to keep any of them? They are super tasty….
Old 06-17-2022, 10:24 PM

Thumbs up Qa6h67

Your posts have kept me lurking here for many years, great stuff
Old 06-18-2022, 07:01 AM

Default June 17

Super slow day catching, took me 4 hours to catch 1 sucker, and another 4 hours later Id had enough sun on my skull. I had everything packed for my walk out, turned to grab my rod and reel in, and it started bouncing of course. Set the hook and got to play thread the needle through the flooded willows to land and release a 44 incher.
Id say well worth it. I got to see the weirdest beetle gathering Ive ever seen, found a beaver skull, watched a blackbird do some pretty fancy aerial maneuvers when it flew into my line full speed, as well as a lot of lake sturgeon breaking water. I knew there were big fish in Alberta, Ive been told of 1 giant caught on the Sask side in the river that sounded incredible, and is my personal individual fish goal. The fish I saw breaking water, as in plural) as well as a lot of huge heads peeking out of the chocolate milk told me there are more giants waiting to be met and I will say straight up, 30 pound test line on a persons sturgeon gear is going to leave you drinking your tears if you ever are lucky enough to stick your hook in one!
damn I thought I was addicted before
:s Ha_shakeshout:
as for eating one, if they ever bring back a season for them Id rather eat my own arm, these fish are the best and craziest thing swimming in the province and I couldnt bring myself to eat one. Besides theres plenty of rattlers to chew on down here
I was also reminded quite beautifully , of the dangers of sitting on the grass in southern Alberta, the pincushions can hide anywhere but this week when the sun comes up so do the gorgeous blooms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bvr.jpg (74.4 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 20220616_125629[1].jpg (67.4 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 20220617_163153[1].jpg (28.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 20220616_145744.jpg (140.4 KB, 142 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-18-2022, 07:38 AM

Very nice Wayne! Can you please show us a photo or drawing of your rig-up for Dino's. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
Very nice Wayne! Can you please show us a photo or drawing of your rig-up for Dino's. Thanks.
I can show you in video simple and easy. breakaway weights are very important especially during runoff when everything is flooded with my rigs, personally I dont use slider rigs although they do work.
Certainly not "EPIC" but my system had caught a lot of fish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t42WNGjmI

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-25-2022, 08:15 AM

Thanks Wayne!
Old 06-25-2022, 08:21 AM

glad to help. I only have 1 good eye so the simpler the rig the better I like it.
apologies for the link. I speek not for too good to self explain

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-25-2022, 05:49 PM

Awesome stuff you are the sturgeon master.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:57 PM

Heckuva thread Wayne. Appreciate it!!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-26-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I can show you in video simple and easy. breakaway weights are very important especially during runoff when everything is flooded with my rigs, personally I dont use slider rigs although they do work.
Certainly not "EPIC" but my system had caught a lot of fish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t42WNGjmI
Great post, I gotta get myself out away from work to have some fun at the river one of these days, hopefully soon.

Also thanks for that vid, I am going to use your set up instead since it is so much simpler then mine and a hell of a lot quicker setting up.

Hope you have at least another dozen or more of those beautiful days with your line in the water.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Awesome stuff you are the sturgeon master.
ha I wish, just have a lot of rod hours I doubt I catch more than anyone else. Just have more fun doing it!!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-26-2022, 09:54 PM

Default Sunny Sunday June 26

I planned on being a responsible adult and getting yardwork done today. Til I looked out the window and saw the sky.
It wasnt breakneck action, but it was a great day all the same. I got set up and first thing i saw was a 3 foot-ish sturgeon come straight up out of the river, there was a good foot or more of air under its tail. Almost made up for the big mug of coffee sitting on my kitchen counter at home.
I caught a couple suckers, big Silver Redhorse, then fate washed up a chub minnow on the shore at my feet so I hooked it on and flung it out. Had a couple tugs but finally someone picked it up. Turned out to be another bait stealing river walleye, in its runoff colors. Its interesting to see the difference with the lake eyes, so much more striking camo when you dont have chocolate milk to hide in I guess
I got lucky and met a couple pretty teens, not gear busting giants but still amazing healthy fish probably getting around the 20 ish year old mark 1 was 26 inches the second 29 and both covered in razorblades just the way I like them
The odd gust of wind and not a single cloud in the sky the whole day, what a beauty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220626_151643[1].jpg (36.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20220626_125750[1].jpg (39.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 20220626_121751[1].jpg (40.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20220626_160548[1].jpg (133.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20220626_081552[1].jpg (8.8 KB, 88 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-27-2022, 05:22 AM
Banned

Looks like Fun day.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:53 AM
AO Sponsor

Looking like a great summer for you so far sir... Thanks for the thread!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-27-2022, 07:02 PM

Default June 27 Happy Monday

I totally meant to get caught up on what I skipped out on yesterday but since when does southern Alberta get 2 blue sky days in a row, I had to see for myself so I went fishing.

I hit the river around 8, different one this time and it was slow as molasses. A couple suckers to wake me up, then finally after about 6 hours I hooked into a very scrappy 48 inch dino. not long after I released it, I was watching my rod tip twitching as the weight skipped along the bottom. This time it didnt stop, the line started peeling off the reel when I lifted the rod tip, and I remembered how much I love fishing . A long battle that started when the sturgeon jumped and ended when I finally got it to shore and watched the fish swim back out into the current. There were several times I was trying to figure out how to run down the shoreline after it when I was ankle deep in the gumbo on the shore! My line was starting to get pretty close to the reel, I saw line today I hadnt seen since I spooled the reel. Fish was 57 inches, almost 5 feet but not quite, still, my biggest of the season so far
Ended off with a 25 incher I originally thought was a walleye when it hit. not a bad day, Id have to call it a beauty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220627_150542[1](1).jpg (28.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20220627_152906[1].jpg (34.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20220627_143640[1].jpg (25.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 20220627_105438[1].jpg (12.9 KB, 68 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-29-2022, 04:19 PM

Default June 29 whitecaps

I was a good boy yesterday, stayed home and did chores. It figures, today we have some wonderful weather coming through, my favourite!
I thought Id hit the river even for a few hours, and it was definitely keep an eye on the sky kinda morning.
I started with a couple suckers, then the wind blew in from the big cell to the north of me and had a light bite I could barely pick out with the rod dancing in the wind. Give it the old heave ho and hooked up with a nice 35 inch dino, the whitecaps really stir up their food on the bottom and I usually have decent luck when its howling hard.
A second light bite, maybe a quarter the yank the suckers were hitting with. Reeled it in and had a nice little guy about 30 inches.
Couple more suckers, lots of goldeye bites, then the wind kicked up again and I dropped my bait just about where my chair usually resides after runoff on the gravel bar. This time it was a bit of a harder bite, still not very exciting, until I set the hook
Had a few long heavy runs, got it to shore and in my hand, and when I went to unhook her she took exception and zipped back out into the current. Im glad I had left my reel bail open , I hate swimming in cold runoff rivers!
Finally got her(it) to shore again and got the hook out. 53 inches of muscle, damn I love fishing! caught my first clam of the season too, they dont give a lot of indication when they bite!
The rain clouds were almost at me and I had a long walk to the truck so I packed up and headed home. another day, even the huge distant storm clouds were beauty today! third pic is a still of my rig, for those who dont watch vids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220629_100909a.jpg (32.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 20220629_111522a.jpg (32.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 20220629_111948a.jpg (78.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 20220629_125046a.jpg (42.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20220629_125117a.jpg (46.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 20220629_133127a.jpg (92.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20220629_143732a.jpg (107.4 KB, 62 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-29-2022, 04:46 PM

Love it Wayne!
Old 07-01-2022, 06:28 AM

Default JUNE 30 oh yah

I managed to force myself to go fishing yesterday, difficult as that was. I did manage to get a few hours of gardening in so its all good.
The weather was great, the wind left with the storms from the day before, the sun was shining, and the dinos were hungry. I tried out my new shade, there are so few trees around the coyotes have to line up for hours to use the 1 pee tree so you have to bring your own. Really happy with it, I will have to see how the strong winds do but 1 good day anyways with it.

I set up and right off the bat a sturgeon rose of course on the far side of the river, and I got all shaky for a couple minutes. My personal best was a big fish, but this one was scary big. Didnt manage to get a hook into her, but I did get to meet a bunch more!. The rod was so still I could see when a sturgeon was whiskering my bait, the quick little wiggles as it found my worm with the barbells then a bit of a twitch and a few little tugs. they were biting like perch yesterday, the only time the rod tip moved more than a couple inches it was damn goldeye robbing my bait yet again.
It was very interesting, usually its a matter of all sorts of other species biting before you get lucky and the fish you are hoping for but yesterday it was the odd goldeye, and sturgeon. 1 sucker landed just before I packed up, the rest of the day it was pretty much all dinos
I did lose 1, doesnt happen often with heavy gear, but this fish didnt feel like it was very big, I think it was just wrapped in the line , then it jumped and threw the hook. It was a lot bigger than Id thought, but maybe I will get another shot at it.
I ended up with 5 landed for the day, 1 lost, and 1 more to dream about There are monsters in those rivers, I know my personal best is no where near the biggest and Im really hoping to get aquainted with more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220630_110311.jpg (87.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 20220630_113707.jpg (20.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20220630_122816.jpg (18.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20220630_141931.jpg (16.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20220630_165636.jpg (35.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20220630_171256.jpg (16.3 KB, 43 views)

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 07-01-2022, 07:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Dam never a dull moment when your out and about.....well done

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...