Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2022, 01:52 PM

Default Prince Rupert for the first time

I'll be heading to Prince Rupert the third week of July for a two day charter. I've been on the surface of three oceans and many of their associated seas, but for some reason have never ever dropped a line in, so this will be my first go around. The charter was pre-arranged and I'll be going with three others. Hotel was booked a few months ago.

So other than tidal license/salmon tag, rain gear (jacket/pants/boots/gloves), Gravol, etc what else is recommended?

We'll be getting the fish processed/frozen for transport, so not really sure how many coolers to bring along, as we'll be leaving from and returning to NE BC ~ 12 hour or so drive.

Food snacks to bring along, expected gratuities etc.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:49 PM

Well I would certainly recommend that for fish processing you use Rupert Meats instead of Dollys.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:35 AM

I agree on Dollys. Keep away from that place.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:13 PM

which charter are you fishing with? We have been going every year except this year. Have supper at Dolly's for seafood and definetly do not miss having supper at Breakers Pub, especially their seafood lasagna.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:28 PM

Look into getting and using dry ice. Not sure if they supply it. Keeps everything nicely frozen. Hope you have a great and successful trip. I would really like a 10 to 14 pound COHO to scarf on. Then again price per pound would be . LOL
Cashews, Costco steak bites, pickled eggs, crackers, Costco cheese slice variety packs and whatever your heart desires. Water bottles if not supplied. Have a great trip. Four of us did this about 6 years ago. WOO HOO 50 and 52lb. TYEE

Last edited by barbless; 07-04-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
which charter are you fishing with? We have been going every year except this year. Have supper at Dolly's for seafood and definetly do not miss having supper at Breakers Pub, especially their seafood lasagna.

We're going out for a couple of days with Northwest BC Fishing Charters. It'll be my dad who's 77, a family friend & his 14 yr old son and myself. I'm really starting to look forward to it. I really don't care what we reel into the boat be it salmon, halibut, lingcod, sablefish....it will be really nice to just get out (and to have some fresh fish in the freezer).

I was in Prince Rupert once, in about 1991 while working in Terrace for a couple of weeks, but it was a quick trip there and back but no fishing. I was also able to make it to Kitimat a couple of times and did an overnight trip up to Stewart/Hyder while working out there. Again no fishing though. Beautiful country in every direction from what I remember.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:41 AM

I’ve been organizing a huge group… 66-128 fishing yearly for salmon out of the Queen Charlottes.

I always recommend the 12 hour Gravol… and take it myself.

Like with any medication… best to consult your doc first.

Many people say they will see how they feel. Once you feel it… it’s too late. Only going to shore helps.

Better to be safe than sorry. Take it an hour before departure.

Don’t eat or drink anything acidic like citrus, tomatoes etc. Have a good breakfast. Watch the horizon whenever possible… never stare down at the water. Take a few tums with you.

You should all be fine.

4 hour gravol makes me loopy. Need you take it long before the first pill wears out.

The patches also slow release the Dramamine. People swear by them also.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-05-2022, 09:23 AM

I like the patches. The gravol of any kind makes me sleepy. Some of the best sleeps I've had were when trolling LOL.

It will be interesting to see if the DFO will be changing retention limits throughout the season.

Good luck and have a great trip!!
Old 07-05-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
I like the patches. The gravol of any kind makes me sleepy. Some of the best sleeps I've had were when trolling LOL.

It will be interesting to see if the DFO will be changing retention limits throughout the season.

Good luck and have a great trip!!
I agree that the patches are better, however they have discontinued making those patches, so if you happen to find some, stock up lol
Old 07-05-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
I agree that the patches are better, however they have discontinued making those patches, so if you happen to find some, stock up lol
Found some on Amazon but I don't think they are the same as the old ones. The ones we had before you had to put them on the night before and these say 10 minutes before and are made of natural products. Ordered some anyway.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:52 PM

The patch everyone used is Transderm V. Which is scoplamine. It is discontued but if you check smaller pharmacies away from the ocean they may have them. They are definitely none once you are out here.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:39 PM

Default Awesome

Third week of July is prime time in my opinion…coho should be thick by then. Try Bobs on the Rocks at Rushbrook for fish and chips…awesome. I’d bring a couple big marine coolers forsure. I see a lot of albertans out here with deep freezers in their trucks too, something to think about if you have 120v in your truck. Send me a message if you need help with anything out here…I’m around. I’m sure I’ll be on the water around that time aswell too. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Look into getting and using dry ice. Not sure if they supply it. Keeps everything nicely frozen.

Great tip, it keeps my fish frozen all the way back to SE Alberta (24 hrs plus) It is available by the bucket at Rushbrook Dock, right beside Bob's Fish & Chips.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:49 PM

Thanks for all of the tips, pm's and offers of help, it's been very much appreciated. With all of the information gathered, all that I should need now is a few tanks of fuel and some time to get there and back. I really wish that I had more time, as I really enjoyed the time that I spent out that way 30 years ago.

p.s. I checked Facebook and it looks like Rupert Meats is processing fish this year, so I'll definitely check them out.

I'll be sure to post some pics after we get home.

Last edited by HVA7mm; 07-05-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:24 PM

There were four of us in my crew cab Chevy. We split the driving times at around 3 hours each from Calgary. It is a drive for sure from here. You might get lucky and the no see-um bugs should be gone. Bug spray just in case. Have a blast and a safe memorable trip.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I'll be heading to Prince Rupert the third week of July for a two day charter. I've been on the surface of three oceans and many of their associated seas, but for some reason have never ever dropped a line in, so this will be my first go around. The charter was pre-arranged and I'll be going with three others. Hotel was booked a few months ago.

So other than tidal license/salmon tag, rain gear (jacket/pants/boots/gloves), Gravol, etc what else is recommended?

We'll be getting the fish processed/frozen for transport, so not really sure how many coolers to bring along, as we'll be leaving from and returning to NE BC ~ 12 hour or so drive.

Food snacks to bring along, expected gratuities etc.

Thanks.
Depending on your success I would bring a few coolers if you have the space (pack your rain gear and boots in them for the ride down) also depending on size I would guess that 65 quart should be lots for filleted fish on a two day trip. Not sure what Rupert meats sells for Salt ice but dolly's is crazy expensive ....best price on salt ice I found was bobs on the rocks which is down by the boat launch.
Fair warning don't expect to get your fish back the very next day.

Honestly if it was me and only a two day trip I would keep your fish gutted on salt ice and do it yourself when you get home, but getting nicely packaged and frozen fillets to put in the freezer when you get home is nice too!

Aside from the stuff you mentioned a small bottle of bug spray with deet (if you fish Dundas there are these black flies that bite and have some sort of anticoagulant so all of a sudden you will be bleeding, the bites don't hurt at all but itch like a SOB a few days later) and a small bit of sunscreen if that sun does poke out it might not feel hot but the face will feel it when back on shore.

Good luck.....don't forget its customary to bring your guides a few bananas for a snack!

Mike
Old 07-07-2022, 08:58 PM

I would take a few coolers but they will also provide styrofoam coolers for a fee. Commercial processing isn’t cheap, but they flash freeze and vac pack. Worth it for me when you open a two year old package of salmon filet and no freezer burn. Rupert meats for sure. I’ve overnighted it going home and everything stayed frozen.
I love shellfish and there is no comparison to fresh crab vs reheat at home, so if you like it ask your guide about prepping there. It’s super easy and depending on where you’re staying they may have a crab pot to do yourself one night.
All the restaurants are great eats, but gotta have a milkshake after a fish meal at Smiles and a beer at Breakers Pub on the deck.
Good luck and gave fun! Take lots of pictures.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:14 PM

I have been up there twice in the last 3 years. We packed all our fish in coolers of salt ice and do the 18 hours drive back to Lethbridge. We process as soon as we get home and the cooler is still full of ice. Last year it took 3 of us 4 hours to cut, and vac seal 16 salmon and 4 ling. Processing there is expensive and you never seem to get back as much as you think you will.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:28 PM

Not a veteran at this per se; but these are my tips:
- We always have stayed at Prestige Prince Rupert Hotel; better hotels in Terrace but further away
- Dry Ice > "regular" ice for transport
- fish packers there are really expensive, if you can do it yourself you can save a lot. Last trip we did cost me nearly $500 for packing (about 20 fish)- I paid less for a moose the year before. Cant recall who we used but they did a poor job on top of it all.
- If you have never taken gravol before try it before you go - it makes me really sick. There are other OTC and Rx options
Old 07-08-2022, 11:31 AM

You used to be able to get dry ice at the propane shop on the right just before Rushbrook boat launch. STAY away from taking you fish to Dollys bad bad idea going there. I just got back yesterday very little coho around still plenty of springs and bottom fish.

We bring our fish home filleted and the coho gutted and de headed. Then we cut them up into meal sized portions wrap it in cellophane and vacuum seal it. It will last longer that way and you get a better seal with no slim scales is moisture on the vacuum bags.

Last edited by GMX; 07-08-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
The patch everyone used is Transderm V. Which is scoplamine. It is discontued but if you check smaller pharmacies away from the ocean they may have them. They are definitely none once you are out here.
That’s the same patch I carried out off the west coast. Less side effects compared to Gravol and it worked really good.

Or bring lots of munchies and just have a good barff when needed. It’s what I do when I want to live the life of a runway model…
Old 07-08-2022, 01:02 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I’ve been organizing a huge group… 66-128 fishing yearly for salmon out of the Queen Charlottes.

I always recommend the 12 hour Gravol… and take it myself.

Like with any medication… best to consult your doc first.

Many people say they will see how they feel. Once you feel it… it’s too late. Only going to shore helps.

Better to be safe than sorry. Take it an hour before departure.

Don’t eat or drink anything acidic like citrus, tomatoes etc. Have a good breakfast. Watch the horizon whenever possible… never stare down at the water. Take a few tums with you.

You should all be fine.

4 hour gravol makes me loopy. Need you take it long before the first pill wears out.

The patches also slow release the Dramamine. People swear by them also.
Patches are actually scopolamine. But they have been discontinued unfortunately. From seeing thousands come through they’re the only thing I’d bet money on working. 99% of people worked like a charm!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 07-11-2022, 09:35 AM

Default Rupert

Fished Prince Rupert July 3 and 4th. Like the last time we fished there, Chinooks we’re non-retention and will be closed until July 15. Coho hadn’t shown up yet so had to settle for halibut and ling cod. Rupert Meats is the way to go if you want to process your fish. Still, expensive trip from YEG with gas at $2.18 in BC and no salmon to show for it.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:53 PM
AO Sponsor

Dollies “LOST” all my giant black rockfish last year. I was very unhappy about that. Ill be going elsewhere

Still eat a nice fish and seafood supper there tho!

Tip for fish packing, no matter flash froze or fresh with salt ice, fill in the air space with towels, blankets, even your clean ginch. Back when dollies was a good place for processing, nice dollies lady told me air/space is your demon ina cooler.

DO NOT PACK FROZEN FILLETS IN SALT ICE. Ideally outfit freezes your cooler night before and packs into frozen box, No space, everything froze easy handles 48 hrs in a good cooler, keep out of sun
Old 07-11-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Dollies “LOST” all my giant black rockfish last year. I was very unhappy about that. Ill be going elsewhere

Tip for fish packing, no matter flash froze or fresh with salt ice, fill in the air space with towels, blankets, even your clean ginch. Back when dollies was a good place for processing, nice dollies lady told me air/space is your demon ina cooler.

DO NOT PACK FROZEN FILLETS IN SALT ICE. Ideally outfit freezes your cooler night before and packs into frozen box, No space, everything froze easy handles 48 hrs in a good cooler, keep out of sun
So are you going fishing this year??
Old 07-12-2022, 12:30 AM
AO Sponsor

Gonna try Olis at Winter Harbour. We are going late in hopes to get into the ALBACORE!!!! But sadly that’ll cost me my regular fix of chinook. I did get an invite with some BC friends to Zebellos, but no time, and kiyute prices way down. Hopefully the coho are thick and huge as well and that we get into the big lings, like Davey Summer calibre!

Need to get the HD prescription meds, but dont know what theyre called… powerful prescription anti nauseau meds. I still got 2 scopolamine patches tho expired, but thinking going that far offshore that late she’ll likely get rough and I dont want to take any chances!
Old 07-13-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

Dollys lost some halibut and coho for me last year. Never did get it. They will never get my business again. i agree on no ice.Just fill up the coolers and you will be fine.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:49 PM

Wife and I will be there Aug 10-12, a bit flexible if a day charter is avail.
Had asked a few charters if they had a couple booked who may want to split a trip, but no replies.
Can understand business-wise they’d rather fill two 2-person charters than one 4.

TBark
Old 07-16-2022, 12:12 PM

One more thing to add: do not use regular ice in your cooler if your fish was flash frozen. The ice is way warmer than the fish and will melt the fish fast! Try to fill the cooler full of fish with no empty air space. We drove for 24 hours from Torino to Edmonton and fish was still frozen.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:25 PM

Had a great couple of days in Prince Rupert for my first time salt water fishing. Our guide Haeden did not disappoint, great spots and top notch equipment. Unfortunately the Chinooks were still closed, reeled a couple of nice ones in but had to let them go. Still got some nice Coho, Pinks, Halibut and some dungeness crab. Ended up with around 160 lbs of processed fish between the four of us. Had the fish cut up, vacuum packed and quick frozen at Rupert Meats, so it made transport of the fish a breeze. (cost around $3.25/lb). Not sure what the weights were on the individual fish, but do recall that the halibut I reeled in was 96cm (would have preferred 2x89 cm instead, lol)

I'll definitely be doing it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-1840.jpg (98.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-5103.jpg (83.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-1833.jpg (38.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-5100.jpg (71.5 KB, 107 views)