Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=saskfly;346274]maybe this will help,

Swan generally fishes the best in early spring (just after or before turnover). The group I know that fish it on a regular basis say there is basically a ten day window where the trout/conditions/bugs are just right.

Well i have fished Swan Lake for many years since the eighty's when it had brookies in it and yes it has a window but it isn't 10 days it is more like 21 days....after that you still catch lots of fish and some big ones but not like the 21 days were you never go a whole cigarette with out catching a fish and that time of the year is when to learn how to fish chromies............no matter how we look at it this lake is one of a kind and many fisherman have left with a smile on there face.................cheers
Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=fishman;346371]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskfly View Post
maybe this will help,

Swan generally fishes the best in early spring (just after or before turnover). The group I know that fish it on a regular basis say there is basically a ten day window where the trout/conditions/bugs are just right.

Well i have fished Swan Lake for many years since the eighty's when it had brookies in it and yes it has a window but it isn't 10 days it is more like 21 days....after that you still catch lots of fish and some big ones but not like the 21 days were you never go a whole cigarette with out catching a fish and that time of the year is when to learn how to fish chromies............no matter how we look at it this lake is one of a kind and many fisherman have left with a smile on there face.................cheers
can you tell when those days are please
Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 PM

When I was a kid fishing from shore we used clear casting bubbles. Fling them out with a fly 18" behind and reel them back in slowly. Back then we didn't know what bugs were called and neither did the tackle store, the fish bit on Royal Coachmen and Black Gnats! LOL
The easiest way to catch the biggest fish in Swan or Spring is by trolling leech/damsel fly/ Doc Spratley, patterns on sinking fly lines. Work the edge of the drop just outside the weeds and hold on.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:05 PM

They are diffrent every year it is all dependent on when the ice goes out and water temperature plus air temperature usually i like 2 weeks after the ice goes out or even a little longer depending on the year as this year was later then last year
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
The easiest way to catch the biggest fish in Swan or Spring is by trolling leech/damsel fly/ Doc Spratley, patterns on sinking fly lines. Work the edge of the drop just outside the weeds and hold on.
The first thing that hatchs in Swan lake is chromnoids and is the best time to fish chromies, also spot tail shinners are abundant and they feed heavy on them also backswimmers are active and also the dragons are heading to shallow water before they hatch....fish chromies on floating line with strike indicator and u will be very happy.......also minnow patterns on full sink line casting into the shallows or a dragon pattern and leachs..........by the first of june the dragons have hatched and the shallow water has warmed up and usually the spawning fish have moved into a little deeper water.....now they feed on minnows, caddis nymps, chromies and leachs...........fish a leach early in the am with dark colors and in brighter conditions add a little flashaboo.........the shrimp patterns come into play some what mostly around first of june to 3 week of june........now next thing is travelling sedge hatch usually around 3 week of june.................i have given u a very good bases of the lake and it doesn't mean u are going to catch fish i have just given u what is happening now u have to figure where in the lake, when as far as the part of the day and also how to fish it not just drag a fly around alot more it to then that................good fishin
Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 PM

You come across as more than a little arrogant, but then that could be me just misinterpreting words like
Quote:
also how to fish it not just drag a fly around alot more it to then that
If you think that is all there is too trolling then you might want to think about your own words.
I always found that fishing by the calendar and not by the fish was a good way to be made a fool of. Big fish will always take a big easy meal when it presents itself and I've had just as spectacular days trolling with half the lake covered in ice as I have in June. If you don't like my advice that is alright I was just offering my knowledge on the lake. There are many ways to catch a fish and several ways work just as well as the flyrod.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
You come across as more than a little arrogant, but then that could be me just misinterpreting words like
If you think that is all there is too trolling then you might want to think about your own words.
I always found that fishing by the calendar and not by the fish was a good way to be made a fool of. Big fish will always take a big easy meal when it presents itself and I've had just as spectacular days trolling with half the lake covered in ice as I have in June. If you don't like my advice that is alright I was just offering my knowledge on the lake. There are many ways to catch a fish and several ways work just as well as the flyrod.
One thing about words is you can interrped them any way you want to, as i have passed on to many my knowledge with nothing but good intentions....if you really read my post i am giving out important information, it is called sharing, otherwise i would kept to myself but on the other hand if you spoon feed people they will never learn for them self and one thing about fishing is to be a good fisherman is when the pieces of the puzzle come together from learning from knowledge you have gathered and what you have put together yourself it is all worth it.....happy fishing
Old 07-08-2009, 01:02 AM

I have to retrack my opinions if i offended anybody i am sorry as that was not my sole purpose as i thought this forum was somewhat a education forum, sometimes we get our hair up if somebody attacks our character, as in all my time in this forum i have not tried to attack anyone but give them some help in something we all have in common fishing
Old 07-08-2009, 01:41 AM

Thumbs up

fishman - you write whatever you want, that's a hell of a lot of usefull info especially if your flyrodding
Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Banned

i dont have a fly rod and i dont intend on buying one. I have a bad shoulder so continous movement will hurt. I just want to know what these people are using im talking about the spin casters because i see them land like 7 fish when i only landed 3 that day
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce44 View Post
i dont have a fly rod and i dont intend on buying one. I have a bad shoulder so continous movement will hurt. I just want to know what these people are using im talking about the spin casters because i see them land like 7 fish when i only landed 3 that day
That's unfortunate Bruce, you seem to get great enjoyment from our sport and fly fishing is just another way to enjoy it. For me, it's my favorite way.

If I were you, go down to your local shop that sells fly's and pick up a few Doc Spratly's in black, red and green and give them a shot. Can't seem to go wrong with a good old Doc..a few Wooly Buggars in olive and black wouldn't hurt either......happy hunting! (If you're in or around GP, let me know, I'll tie you up a few).

TuffBuff, you didn't just call fly fishing "Flyrodding" did you? You gonna be haunted by all the souls of the dead fly fishers till the end of time........
Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 AM

kwikfish and flatfish on an ultra light rod, mepps and panther martins were hammering fish out at swan on spinning rods last week. also acme kamloopers are also a trout killer at swan.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBC View Post
That's unfortunate Bruce, you seem to get great enjoyment from our sport and fly fishing is just another way to enjoy it. For me, it's my favorite way.

If I were you, go down to your local shop that sells fly's and pick up a few Doc Spratly's in black, red and green and give them a shot. Can't seem to go wrong with a good old Doc..a few Wooly Buggars in olive and black wouldn't hurt either......happy hunting! (If you're in or around GP, let me know, I'll tie you up a few).

TuffBuff, you didn't just call fly fishing "Flyrodding" did you? You gonna be haunted by all the souls of the dead fly fishers till the end of time........
that would be awesome i actually live in grande prairie right behind the superstore. yeah i love fishing its just i have a bad shoulder from a wrestling injury in highschool. Sucks cause im only 20 and i cant do prolonged repetetive movement with my shoulder. Oh well maybe one day ill learn to use my left arm lol
Old 07-08-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
yeah - kind of like spin casting but different! same principal though, maybe I'll start a new trend.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Banned

QBC I bet I could fish those little flys of yours on regular spinning gear. On a 4 lb test leader with two or three split shot 18 inches up, under a slip bobber just barely big enough to keep the whole mess floating the trout would not be able to tell the difference between my fly and yours.

Last edited by Cal; 07-08-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
QBC I bet I could fish those little flys of yours on regular spinning gear. On a 4 lb test leader with two or three split shot 18 inches up, under a slip bobber just barely big enough to keep the whole mess floating the trout would not be able to tell the difference between my fly and yours.
The only issue would be the split shot. If the lake was calm, you probably could fish them and make them look very much like my offering. If it was a wee bit windy and there was a chronomid chop on the water, the split shot would tend to make the fly have a jerky movement. Your bobber would pull the splits up and when it fell, they would drop very quickly. Mine would get pulled up but tend to drift back down and probably wouldn't get all the way back down before it was pulled up again, but this time a very short distance and and not so abrupt. Hard to say though, but I'd try and get rid of the splits if possible.

I would tend to think that if you used one of those weighted bobbers and no split shot, it would act more natural. Just a thought.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Banned

the spitshot would only be an issue if the waves were a foot and a half, in which case you could simply move further away from the fly. A weighted bobber or a casting bubble would work well too, like you said. I have a few weighted bobbers for pike and I think they still float to high, enough can not be said about the need for that bobber to go under as easily as possible.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Hey all, new to fishing and I plan to partake in the Alberta fishing weekend coming up. I've been reading through this thread and was thinking of heading to Swan Lake. Since I don't really get the opportunity to fish to often I just have a basic rod and reel and very little in the way of tackle. I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to break down the posts in this thread for me in "fishing for Dummie's" terms that I'd understand and know what to buy for tackle :P Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time for any replies
Old 07-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Hey all, new to fishing and I plan to partake in the Alberta fishing weekend coming up. I've been reading through this thread and was thinking of heading to Swan Lake. Since I don't really get the opportunity to fish to often I just have a basic rod and reel and very little in the way of tackle. I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to break down the posts in this thread for me in "fishing for Dummie's" terms that I'd understand and know what to buy for tackle :P Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time for any replies
If i were you i would go into grande the nearest tackle store theres alot here in grande prairie and just ask what is good fish with at swan lake. They will flat out tell you what is good at this moment. Apparently chironomids dont work as well cause its too late this time of year he gave me a few lures to try. If i were you i would just by some power bait or a spoon that is about 2-3 inches all with bright colours like bright red. It just rained alot here so the water is colder and the larger fish are surfacing. I tried the lures the guy gave me and they work like a miracle. Best advice for you is type in the types of lures we mentioned into google and you will see a picture
Old 07-11-2009, 07:13 AM

First, go buy and "Ugly Stick".
Second, go find an old red coffee can to put your worms in
Third, Rent and watch the movie "A River Runs Through It" paying particular attention to the scene where the guy shows up still drunk in the morning with the hooker "ready to fish"
After that, it's all good buddy....

Old 07-11-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBC View Post
First, go buy and "Ugly Stick".
Second, go find an old red coffee can to put your worms in
Third, Rent and watch the movie "A River Runs Through It" paying particular attention to the scene where the guy shows up still drunk in the morning with the hooker "ready to fish"
After that, it's all good buddy....

"Buster wants to fish!"

Thanks for the memories, Grant. Seen that movie at least a hundred times.