Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2016, 04:05 PM

Default Advice from those with trialers, campers, boats

Soooo...Hell froze over. I walked in the door a while ago and my wife announced "You need to buy a new truck". If you knew my wife's spending habits (frugal) and vehicle preferences you would fall over too.

Anyway, I'm thinking I would like a new or newer truck, plus a fishing boat as well as some sort of trailer or camper(Second hand both. I'm not nuts). I need you to check out my reasoning and give me some advice.

So if I want a truck and something to sleep in and also be able to pull a boat I THINK my choices are:
  1. a truck and camper and boat, or
  2. a truck and 5th wheel and a boat.

I understand that you can tow a 5th wheel and boat trailer in Alberta and MAYBE a few other jurisdictions, but that it's limited. So my questions are...
  1. Is it a hassle to pull a 5th wheel (not looking for a huge one. maybe 21 ft). Tell me about it, and where I can go.
  2. I'm thinking that whatever I choose, I should be getting a F-350 or GMC/Ram 3500... that a 150/1500 just won't cut carrying and towing such a load. 250/2500's don't seem to have an awful lot more capacity than a 150/1500.

Thoughts? Advice? I'll probably go back to being cheap tomorrow, but right now I'm feeling flush, and my junker truck has about had it.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:09 PM
Banned

Buy at least a 2500 truck, towing capacity for chevy went from 8800lbs (1500) to 13,000lbs (2500). I can't imagine pulling a b-train personally. I'd rather the camper/boat combo.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:09 PM

when you talk boat are you talking fishing putt-putt or something that you can tow inflatables with.

and I'm not sure if you've ventured down a highway lately but the number of trailers and the like for sale parked in farmers fields is starting to grow.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
when you talk boat are you talking fishing putt-putt or something that you can tow inflatables with.

and I'm not sure if you've ventured down a highway lately but the number of trailers and the like for sale parked in farmers fields is starting to grow.
As far as boat goes I'm thinking something along the lines of a 16 ft aluminum with maybe a 50 hp outboard, like a Tracker that Bass Pro would sell.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:24 PM

Well I've owned trucks and I've owned a holiday trailer and owned a camper. The camper was nice if you like going to places where trailers shouldn't go. The holiday trailer is good if you like camping with other people. Maybe I'm a little anti social but when I go camping I want to go to the bush not a campground.
Me personally I'd buy whatever truck you want and for go the camper or trailer and boat. Find a buddy that you can has this and go with him/her. Looked at my trailer for 1000 days and slept in it for 7 days. $25000 dollars pays for a lot of hotel rooms.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:32 PM

Definitely buy a truck that is more then capable of hauling what your gonna hook to it. A 150/1500 will pull a "B" train happily. Getting your vehicle stopped with your family in the truck safely is the issue. Heavy duty trucks have heavy duty brakes. And aside from the safety factor. Just because your truck can pull a max of 10K ( half ton) doesn't mean your should do so for 1000 miles a reasonable camper/ boat combo based on your criteria shouldn't exceed 10-12 thousand lbs. so a 250 or 350 is where ya wanna be?
Old 03-02-2016, 04:38 PM

If you go a camper, you will find you can still easily go over your rear axel weight rating unless you go small and/or light weight. May need to even look at a dually unless you are careful. Same can apply to 5th wheel tandem setup. Length and weight add up quickly. I believe you can still go into Sask. and Manitoba with a B train but not 100% sure. Last I read, only BC and Ontario were a no go.

When looking at weights -GVWR, assume top end, not light and give yourself a good buffer if you can, say 20%. Just because you are just within limits, doesn't make it right or safe in all cases. And, things can change.

I have an F250 diesel and tow a travel trailer (trailer wet and loaded is about 7000 lbs). I have a canopy with roof racks and a 14' aluminum boat goes on the roof. All told, I'm within all weights but travel a bit heavy. This is how I head out to Vancouver Island, I have a secondary trailer stored out there to make life easier.

One suggestion. Consider towing the boat with a second vehicle if it's reasonable or practical. Or, if you are going somewhere close, make two trips. I know it can be a PITA, but can be less expensive.

If you go camper or 5th wheel, find a setup you like first, then look at vehicles, then you have your lengths and weights. May also be worth considering a heavy duty truck, like a F450/550 or even an International chassis or something similar.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Soooo...Hell froze over. I walked in the door a while ago and my wife announced "You need to buy a new truck".
Haha! Good stuff, Okie. Incredigirl said something similar to me when she saw me in my business-casual work clothes one morning, scooping buckets of water out of my car before heading to work. Carpe Diem!

Great advice on this thread. We tow a small (19') trailer, and are trying to figure out a practical way to bring a boat along. Not a huge priority for us at the moment, as we don't spend a lot of time at any one campground and a boat would be a hassle - but there are the odd times that it would be nice to have.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:54 PM

If you want to tow a heavy trailer you need to check the vehicle specs for exactly the truck you buy. Just because you get a one ton truck doesn't mean that you can automatically tow 10K pounds.

We went with a 2012 GMC 3500 crew cab long box 4x4 and it's only rated to tow 9100 pounds. I think my buddy's F150 with the max tow package is close to that if not more.

If you go with a truck camper you need to know that most of the weight ratings on the camper will not include any options. We bought a used 10' camper that was in excellent shape for a decent price. However, It weighs probably 500 pounds more than the tag indicates. With all our camping gear and passengers we're a couple hundred pounds over weight, and that's without the tongue weight of the boat.

I considered going with a 5th wheel but want to be able to tow the boat outside Alberta. Also, parking was an issue for us. I can park on my back driveway with the camper on, but would need to pay for storage if we went with a 5th wheel.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
We went with a 2012 GMC 3500 crew cab long box 4x4 and it's only rated to tow 9100 pounds.
Huh???!!!

2012 GMC 3500 Towing specs:

Quote:
Max. fifth-wheel towing (lb./kg): 23,000 / 10,433

Max. conventional towing (lb./kg): 18,000 / 8,165
Old 03-02-2016, 05:02 PM

Also, forgot to say, DON'T TRUST SALESMEN with information! All too often people are told "ah, your fine!" but really you aren't!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:03 PM

I pull a 25 foot fifth wheel and 16 foot side console aluminum boat with a F250. It is not that much of an issue. Only places I know of where you cannot tow in tandem in Canada is BC but do not profess to be an authority on it.

Trouble with the camper is when you have to launch your boat. Have to pack up or unload it from the truck and go to the boat launch. With the fifth wheel you park it and hook on to your boat. Good to go.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Maybe kg and lbs confused? jpohlic, perhaps your truck is way more capable than you thought!

Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it up!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post

Trouble with the camper is when you have to launch your boat. Have to pack up or unload it from the truck and go to the boat launch. With the fifth wheel you park it and hook on to your boat. Good to go.
ah yes I wondered about backing down the boat ramp with the camper on the back of the truck. Is the issue that you have too much weight to get back out, or that the camper simply gets wet?
Old 03-02-2016, 05:11 PM

Not a b-train, but I met a guy last summer in the Okanagan that had a camper on a 25'? flatdeck with a small boat trailer backed onto the flatdeck. The wife thought it looked beverly hillbillies, but I thought it was an awesome way to go. If I ever get free, that's a setup I just might imitate. His camper had a side door at the back, I'm not sure a back door would be optimum if the boat is loaded.

Last edited by HalfBreed; 03-02-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Truck was a F350 SD
Old 03-02-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
ah yes I wondered about backing down the boat ramp with the camper on the back of the truck. Is the issue that you have too much weight to get back out, or that the camper simply gets wet?
The inconvenience of hauling your sleeping quarters to the boat ramp usually. Lots of people like to set up camp with the intention of not breaking down camp twice a day to launch and then load the boat.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
Not a b-train, but I met a guy last summer in the Okanagan that had a camper on a 25'? flatdeck with a small boat trailer backed onto the flatdeck. The wife thought it looked beverly hillbillies, but I thought it was an awesome way to go. If I ever get free, that's a setup I just might imitate. His camper had a side door at the back, I'm not sure a back door would be optimum if the boat is loaded.
I've always admired those setups as well, with the camper bolted onto a flat gooseneck trailer. Would be awesome for hunting as well, since you would be able to load your quad/sxs/moose in the area behind the camper.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:17 PM

If you do have a truck camper on your truck and you need to launch your boat, it is way easier to put a hitch on the front of your truck and put the boat trailer on the front of your truck to put it into the water

A) you can see where the trailer is
B) the heavy backend stays out of the water
Old 03-02-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I've always admired those setups as well, with the camper bolted onto a flat gooseneck trailer. Would be awesome for hunting as well, since you would be able to load your quad/sxs/moose in the area behind the camper.
X2
Old 03-02-2016, 05:24 PM

Spend the extra and go 1 ton, you wont say gee i wish i had bought the 3/4 ton but you will wish it was the other way around.

Truck and camper and pull the boat is my opinion. My friends do this and have got real good dropping the camper in a stall if they are there for a while and want the truck available for trips etc. New electric jacks are easy peasy. He built a base in the bed so it guides the camper straight in, every time.

So Oki gets a new truck, wonder what wifey is buttering you up for

Get looking fast before she changes her mind
Old 03-02-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4l3k View Post
If you do have a truck camper on your truck and you need to launch your boat, it is way easier to put a hitch on the front of your truck and put the boat trailer on the front of your truck to put it into the water

A) you can see where the trailer is
B) the heavy backend stays out of the water
This too, works great for launching.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:26 PM

Camper/boat, that's what I run. I spend a lot of time in BC and non commercial 3 unit vehicles are illegal there. If you really want a trailer then you will need some kind of rack on the truck to carry a boat or a good option would be a Zodiac type inflatable.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:26 PM

Personally would go with a one ton and camper if I was going to get a 16' boat and 50HP motor.
I have a one ton , 5th wheel, and 18' boat and although I would have no problem if I was going to tow it, it s not something I would prefer as opposed t the truck camper.
Cat
Old 03-02-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Those are the maximum ratings you can get in a specifically equipped truck. When I looked up the specs for my truck I got the following.

Specifications
Specs for Style:
SLE 4x4 Crew Cab 167.7 in. WB SRW

Curb weight 6,734 lbs.
GVWR 11,000 lbs.
Front GAWR 4,800 lbs.
Rear GAWR 7,050 lbs.
Payload 4,266 lbs.
Front axle capacity 4,800 lbs.
Rear axle capacity 7,050 lbs.
Front spring rating 4,800 lbs.
Rear spring rating 7,050 lbs.
Towing capacity 9,100 lbs.
GCWR 16,000 lbs.
5th-wheel towing capacity 9,100 lbs.

That's why you need to check the exact truck that you have.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I've never had any issues launching my boat with the camper on the truck, and I've used some pretty ugly boat launches. Usually goes like this, arrive at lake and find a spot, off load gear that was being hauled in the boat, this saves the spot from someone else scooping it. Then down to the boat launch. Un hook the trailer and set up camp. Start drinking.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:36 PM

hey oki. first off congrats on the wife losing her marbles!! i would jump on it before she changes her mind. grab a 3/4 or 1 ton. brand name of your liking. im guessing your mature? 50's? kids a bit older, out or maybe on the way out of the house. if so get a used truck camper like a fox or something. really comfortable and convenient for you and misses oki. then your dream boat i suppose 16-18ft. easy to haul and back up with some decent mirrors and power plant. your choice in the end. have fun!!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
I've never had any issues launching my boat with the camper on the truck, and I've used some pretty ugly boat launches. Usually goes like this, arrive at lake and find a spot, off load gear that was being hauled in the boat, this saves the spot from someone else scooping it. Then down to the boat launch. Un hook the trailer and set up camp. Start drinking.
Start drinking last, eh? Good to know.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
That's why you need to check the exact truck that you have.
That's a very good illustration. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:49 PM

Didn't read many replies. We pull a 3000# 18' fiberglass boat behind a 27' Fifth Wheel. The B train takes a little getting used to but honestly turns like a dream. I use my 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins).

THE BIG QUESTION:
do you have kids that will be accompanying you? If so, the camper is not the way to go. It beats a tent by a country mile but is in no way comfortable with kids. We decided to go with a used 5th for $8K. early 2000's model, AC and everything was in great shape. Saved a boatload
Old 03-02-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Didn't read many replies. We pull a 3000# 18' fiberglass boat behind a 27' Fifth Wheel. The B train takes a little getting used to but honestly turns like a dream. I use my 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins).

THE BIG QUESTION:
do you have kids that will be accompanying you? If so, the camper is not the way to go. It beats a tent by a country mile but is in no way comfortable with kids. We decided to go with a used 5th for $8K. early 2000's model, AC and everything was in great shape. Saved a boatload
No kids, unless we eventually take grandkids we don't as yet have. Personally I'd be happy with a tent. And I used to love our old tent trailer, but I can't get the wife into "bear country" now without something hard sided, and that has a toilet. LOL So it's a trailer or camper.

Now, on to.... axle ratios.... never been concerned about them before. Higher is better for towing or hauling, but worse on gas? What's good for the duty I've mentioned (though to be fair I'm not going to be hauling stuff every weekend)? Or just basically choose the lowest that still has the capacity I need on the sticker?