Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-14-2020, 04:40 PM

Default Heater Body Suits

Anyone have experience and reviews of the heater body suits? I get cold easily and it sucks. To be some what comfortable in the stand once the snow falls and temps get around zero i need to bundle up so much that using a bow isn't practical anymore. So typically at that point i just switch over to the rifle. However im not done with the bow this year and want to keep going. Ive heard a lot of good reviews on this suit but was hoping to hear some more from anyone here if possible. Good idea to make long archery stand hunts doable or?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2020, 04:44 PM

I don't use the heater suit, but I have the Sitka blizzard coat and pants, - 30 last year with a 40 klm wind, I was toasty warm with my back to the wind, over 3 hours.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:46 PM

I bought one for this season... as luck would have it I arrowed a WT October 2nd. I have to wait till the strathcona season opens up now

LC
Old 10-14-2020, 06:46 PM

The concept works well. I’ve made 2 of my own and they have all the theists that the HBC doesn’t. Straps to hold the bow hands free, sleeves, wrap around scarf built in etc. It’s probably cheaper to buy one but mine is primaloft, the best synthetic insulation.

You’ll like it, you’ll be able to sit longer, you can fiddle with your hands inside the suit, eat snacks....without anything seeing your hands move. You’ll have to carefully plan for what to do when the shot comes. A couple hand warmers strategically placed helps a lot too.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:50 AM

Default Heat body suit

Nice gear, but way expensive.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:43 AM

I bought a handful with my buddies last year and I now call it the sleeper body suit. it's so warm it puts me to sleep easily so I need to fight that sensation.... easy to haul around and when in a blind or stand its a nice reprieve without a propane heater going all the time. best purchase I made last year. plan on taking it elk hunting and finding a good spot and settling in with it. WT stand hunting its ideal. My two cents.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:26 AM

Take a look at Arctic shield body suit half the price.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:46 AM

A good set of insulated coveralls does exactly the same thing, much better mobility and if you get oversized coveralls you can pull your arms in out of the sleeves if you like and have them near your body while sitting but can still use the sleeves to shoot, climb or walk.

I have used the sleeping bag, heater body suit idea but only in ground blinds or sitting on a chair at ground level close to my access point. I would never have one on in a tree stand.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:16 PM

Check out the IWOM. Arms free but legs are enclosed.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-17-2020, 06:59 AM

I am a teck diver, my heated vests for deep cold wreck diving also works well in my tree stand, is not bulky http://thermalution.com
I alos have a light heated jacket i bought at home Depot, Milwaukee heated jacket for 100 bucks, all the spare batteries you want, and they also fit any tools you may want.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:18 PM

Default H Body Suit

My wife, Daughter, an Son in Law all have them, use them, and swear by them to stay warm even in extreme cold! They are dedicated blind hunters, as we all know sitting still in extreme cold is tough to do.
The suit holds body heat very well.
And are very quiet as well!
Sst
Old 10-18-2020, 09:35 AM

I've considered buying a sleeping bag for some cold weather November treestand sits. Often in a ground blind with a buddy heater I'm warm enough with my Raven Wear Jacket and overalls/boots, but the idea of a HBS or a knock-off seems like it would be comfy up in a treestand snugged up around my chest/stomach to keep some extra heat in. Might be a good off season project to make one.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:47 PM

The hardest part is sitting in a stand and waiting lol. Gotta Give you guys credit not easy to do
Old 10-27-2020, 08:22 PM

I use SItka Fanatic have used in -30 toasty warm and windproof and quietest gear will find and not super heavy and has handy built in hand muff. I wear Sitka Shacket as insulating layer - doesn’t restrict movement in arms. I had Sitka incinerator but found a little noisy for bow hunting but was never cold in it.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:24 PM

Tried mine out for the first time this past weekend, in a tree stand with a pretty stiff wind. I don’t think I would have been able to sit there as long otherwise. 2 thumbs up from me!

LC
Old 10-28-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Tried mine out for the first time this past weekend, in a tree stand with a pretty stiff wind. I don’t think I would have been able to sit there as long otherwise. 2 thumbs up from me!

LC
They’re a game changer for sure. I tied mine on my backpack last Sunday’s and went out. I hadn’t planned on using it unless I got cold, well I sat looking at it and though “why Even play around with getting a bit chilly if I don’t have to?” I put it on and was snug as a bug.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:35 PM

Don't really do any tree stand or too much blind hunting. Would they work if you are sitting stationary on a little pack stool? Or just a pain in the *****?
Old 10-28-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Don't really do any tree stand or too much blind hunting. Would they work if you are sitting stationary on a little pack stool? Or just a pain in the *****?
Not that heavy so it’s worth it to stay warm.

LC
Old 10-28-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Not that heavy so it’s worth it to stay warm.

LC
Just thinking too much movement to get into a shooting position? Not being as covered in a blind or more out of sight like in a stand?
Old 10-28-2020, 05:03 PM

Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting one and have used it twice. So far so good. Really nice to be able to wear fewer layers while using the bow. Is definitely nice and cozy and I really like how it keeps the entire body warm, including the feet. I've always had problems keeping feet warm and they typically end up ruining the hunt as a result of getting to cold too fast. Not anymore! The main drawback so far is the zipper noise. Although it is a quiet zipper it is still a zipper and if a animal sneaks in or runs in close to say less than 20 yards ide be concerned that even if unzipping slowly it could still hear it. Need to put it to the test with some close by does before a buck walks in. Also, there is enough movement required to get prepared for a shot, again if a deer sneaks in fast or moves in fast this could be a concern. However, despite the few drawbacks its either deal with and adapt to the small problems or put away the bow for the season, put on a stupid amount of layers, and take the rifle out. All in all, I am happy with it and excited about an extended bow season!
Old 10-28-2020, 05:11 PM

Put some beeswax on the zipper. No more zipper noise.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post

That’s exactly what I do, I rarely climb into trees Anymore.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Take a look at Arctic shield body suit half the price.
Decided to order this one hopefully it does the trick.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Decided to order this one hopefully it does the trick.
Please post your review on that one. I was debating buying one .
Old 11-08-2020, 08:20 AM

Yes let's have an Alberta review

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2020, 09:15 AM

I Sat in a treestand last night in my heater suit. It was warm and cozy, I only had a small puffy jacket on and leather work gloves on my hands. I was toasty and could easily sit in that crazy wind.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:51 PM

Made a suit out of reflective bubble wrap and duct tape a couple years ago from shooting Coyotes in the winter from the tree. Worked well I was warm. But I'd never spend more that 50-60$ on a solution to sitting hunts. If it offered the ability to spot and stock aswell then I'd pull the trigger. I prefer multi purpose for my expensive gear. But that's cause I'm cheap
Old 11-08-2020, 10:04 PM

Bought one for my sask hunt in 2 weeks. Will give review.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:11 PM

Not a heated suit, but I was considering buying new boots and heated gloves before I used those cheap hand warmers in my boots and gloves for the the first time this weekend. I can't believe I've been suffering cold toes all these years! Will definitely be stocking up and using them every time from now on.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezam18 View Post
Not a heated suit, but I was considering buying new boots and heated gloves before I used those cheap hand warmers in my boots and gloves for the the first time this weekend. I can't believe I've been suffering cold toes all these years! Will definitely be stocking up and using them every time from now on.
They’re worth the 2 bucks a pack huh?