Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 06:10 PM

Default Lab Retriever training programs

What training programs (videos or books) do the experienced Lab handlers recommend ?

A couple I've seen online are by Bill Hillmann another by Mike Lardy

I'm looking for a step by step program that lays a great foundation.

I'm an experienced dog handler but not retrievers.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2017, 07:19 PM

I used to Field Trial, labs and I had good luck with Richard Wolters WaterDog. Good. Luck with your dog.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Dog handler??? Stock dogs?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-24-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Dog handler??? Stock dogs?
Yes sir, border collies.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:41 PM

Default Join a club

The Red Deer retriever club has been around for a long time and some of the members are experts. If you have trained dogs before there will be a lot that you already know.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Gone Hunting

LOLOL!
The reason I asked is because my brother used to compete with borders. I believe he had top stock dog in B.C. years ago. Amazing dogs. I believe they can be taught to read.

I was living on the coast and he had moved to Alberta. I came out every fall to hunt birds. I trialled a lab and had a few that I hunted. Anyway I had a litter of pups o the ground and coincidentally he had a litter of borders. We had about 30 sheep on the coast and no dog. Kids were in 4 H .

We agreed to swap a pup.

Because of our experience with our own breeds we had a narrow outlook on how to train. We both ended up with dogs much smarter and more patient than we were. Every second day one or the other of us would call to find out what was wrong with the dog. They do not behave at all like each other. and they do not respond to training the same way.

I loved that border and he was like having 3 extra men to move livestock, but it was a challenge to train him, simply because he wasn't a lab.My brother thought the same about the lab he got from me.

He recently got a lab puppy from a litter that my dog sired. Since our original swap 15 years ago I've shown him how to train. Now he tells me this pup s the smartest dog he's seen. He said it goes to the door to get out to pee.
I said big deal. He said yeah but then he writes his name in the snow. He's a black lab of course.

There's lots of info available, but if you can hook up with an experienced handler for a day, you'd shorten the learning curve a lot.

Don't get ahead of the dog. It's easier to go slow and teach than to go back and fix and then teach. You can message me if you have questions I may be able to help.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Yes, they think differently that's for sure.
I've enjoyed this pup and seeing how a different set of instincts present.
I'm looking forward to the learning, and I'm sure I'll learn things that will impact how I train BCs over time.

The reason I ask about the various programs is I know in herding some of the clinicians are serious pros who you should listen to and others not at all.

I'm curious who's info is solid to start building on.

Thanks for the offer Red, I'll have some questions once we get going. Right now I don't know enough to ask a good question !!

Red you'll be pleased to know he's black, coming 6 months.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:49 PM

Smile

Well you named probably the biggest two. I have had the opportunity to train with Bill. He just has a great way about communicating with his dogs. Bill has some great videos on raising a puppy. Like day 1 day 2 right from the first day you bring the pup home. If you have a young pup regardless of what program you choose worth purchasing raising a retriever puppy program. Sure makes an awesome foundation when it comes to the official start training typically at 6 months. Mike Lardy is the pinnacle of retriever training lol. Hard to argue with his results. Great program and does a great job of teaching you how to train a retriever step by step. The challenge with his videos is when u work with an awesome dog that don’t do much wrong. It helps that these gents get to work with the best breedings out there. Bill sold his last pup for $35k US. Freaking awesome dog but wow lol.

The biggest challenge for dog handlers is how to overcome obstacles and challenges and be a strong communicator with your pup to help him work thru it. Retriever training is very pragmatic. I have followed Lardys program and principles forever. But for programs to help handlers there are bettter options. One i would try is Evan Graham. Great set of DVDs step by step and you will see first hand what dogs will throw at you and how he overcomes it. Many experienced dog handlers here and will tell you every dog teaches us new things and keeps us on our toes. That’s the value of experience as u know

I should mention Bill Hillmann is coming out to our edmonton ACHRA club this year and doing a 3 day seminar. Worth the price of admission. P.s there is only one color lab 😛