Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 01:00 PM

Default Leica Geovid R Bino's

Does anyone have a pair of these or used a pair that can give me a review on them?
Old 09-16-2018, 02:13 PM

Default not sure what R stands for?

I have the Geovid range finding binoculars and love them. Mine are not the HD version of the newer ones (last 5-6 years) but they sure work. Reliable and accurate just like the Leica rangefinders except I no longer have to carry a pair of binocs and set them down to use rangefinder on a distant animal. Press the button while keeping animal in focus for a reliable distance.
Guess my only beef would be that they are quite heavy for packing on long elk hunts but with the right bino harness they stay put on my chest until needed. Batteries seem to last a long time as I have had mine for 7 or 8 years and only on my second battery. digital displays do not usually work below -20 C but we have hunted at those temperatures and kept them under my coat until needed and they worked flawlessly. In my opinion the Leica glass is in the top 3 for clarity with no distortion.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:39 PM

x2 ^, What warbirds said. I've had an older non HD set for going on 6 years, and they have great optics, and the rangefinder has never failed me out to 1000+ yards. I really like them, see no reason to 'upgrade' ever. Great quality, and great factory warranty. I bought mine used, lost an eye cup in the field (completely my fault), contacted their customer service in NJ and asked for pricing on new set...they sent two new eye cups at no charge. I'm a fan.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-16-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Leica Geovids

I bought my 15x56 Geovids in 2010 so they are not HD
I shoot Montana prairie dogs and they are the toughest animals to range
The beam divergence is the tightest of all rangefinders. My buddies have Bushnell,Swarovski,Zeiss rangefinders and none of them work better for what we do than the Leica. I go thru a battery a year which is ok

I just returned from 3 days of dog shooting this afternoon a buddy had a new pair of Nikon 10x42 rangefinding binocs that did alright but he was still ranging stuff that was not what he wanted. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone

Edge
Old 09-16-2018, 05:09 PM

Default Review

I own a couple pairs of these.The first set I purchased over 13 year ago at the Wild Sheep convention in Salt Lake city. They are NOT the HD version but have worked flawlessly since the day I bought them. I think I have changed the battery once during the time I have owned them. I also own a pair of Ultravids which I love and to be honest are my favorite set of binos. They just seem to focus more easily and are a bit lighter. In 2012 the hunter I was guiding in the Yukon gave me a brand new pair of HD Geovids at the end of the hunt. The difference between the non HD and HD versions is noticeable but in my opinion its not enough to justify the added cost (not sure if they even offer a non HD version anymore). Guiding has afforded me the opportunity to look through all types of glass Swarovski, Leica, Leupold, Zeiss, Vortex.... From my experience I believe that the Leica glass is the best you can buy. I own a Swarovski spotting scope and would trade it in a heartbeat for the Leica spotter. A friend of mine owns the Leica spotter and it just lets in more light in lower light conditions. Both his and mine are the 60mm versions. Anyway for what its worth if you can afford the Leicas then go for it. Happy hunting!
Old 09-16-2018, 06:12 PM

The Swaro fan boys' heads are going to explode when they read that Leica is better...but I agree with you.

I also have a Leica ER 3.5-14 x 42mm scope on my 7mm RM rifle with fine duplex, with target turrets. It is fine glass to be sure. My Kahles scope on the. 300 WM is close, but Leica is brighter.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-17-2018, 02:47 AM

Leica rules in both range finder performance and in glass quality. Just in the process of trading up to the 8x42 HD Geovids with Angle compensation. For walking around, ran a CRF 1200 for 10 years and just upgraded it to the CRF 2000. They fit perfectly in your shirt pocket.

Even with the 7 power and small objective the CRF glass is clearer and brighter than a lot of 10x42 Binoculars from other makers. I often use only the CRF for a Binocular, leaving the Geovids for early and late light. The Geovids are many steps ahead of the CRF for clarity, brightness at dawn/dusk and field of view. I can see no difference in clarity, brightness etc between the Geovid HD and the Ultravid in HD, nor can I see any difference between the Ultravid HD and the Trinovid HD. For my eyes the Leica are the best glass made followed VERY closely by Swarovski.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:42 AM

Default Leica

You can’t go wrong with Anything Leica . I have a pair of geovid r binos, they are a little older but they are awesome. I have no problem ranging further than I can shoot and extremely clear glass. I also have a newer Leica range finder, it does range faster than my binos but I’m sure if I had a new pair of geovoids it would be the same.Leica has some of the best rangefinder products out there. For the price difference of around double from the geoviod r to the geoviod HD it’s not worth double the price.

Last edited by Cpetersen4; 09-17-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Banned

I have both the Leica HD-b’s and the ZEISS rf binos
To be honest the leicas are slower to range and they don’t pick up objects as reliably as the ZEISS. I have to play around with them some more. They may be for sale soon if your looking for a set
Old 09-18-2018, 08:23 PM

I've had the 10x42 geovid r binoculars and they were stellar, exactly what you would expect from a Leica product. I currently have the 10x42 geovid hd-b and love them even more! Needless to say, they are at the very least magnificent! I also have had a pair if trinovids, a crf 600, crf 1600 r and i use a set of ultravid 8x32 hd for 3d archery. All of these products performed as desigbed, flawlessly!

The Leica North America group are simply amazing! Their warranty and service is second to none. The only failure of a product i have had was my bad, where i damaged my crf1600 badly. I sent all the pieces to them along with an explanatory note to see if they could do anything with them, but not expecting anything. Well, today a brand new CRF 2400r showed up at my door, no questions asked! I still cant believe it, but really it doesnt surprise me. Leica is a top shelf outfit, and i would not hesitate for a second to purchase any of their products. The optical quality, service and durability are second to none.

Norm
Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-05-2019, 10:01 AM

Default leica vs zeiss vs swaro

Leica's may be great bino's but they don't have a transferrable warranty ... which both swaro and zeiss have ... so be aware if you're looking to buy Leica on the used market
Old 01-05-2019, 10:16 AM

I have the Leica HD-B 2200 and during the warm weather they function and work amazing. As soon as the temps drop below zero good luck ranging with them. I’ve shipped them back to Leica once already and was replaced with a new pair but same issue works poor in cold weather.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:05 PM

I just purchased a non-HD pair of Geovid 10x42 rangefinding binos and they are a spectacular upgrade to my previous pair. Very impressed with the rangefinder, works well at -10 °C (but says -20 °C is the lower limit) out to 600+ yards so far. Mine sit in Kuiu bino holders and are a tight fit but they work well together.

Wondering why i waited so long for good glass....oh ya... they are pricey.....
Old 01-05-2019, 12:39 PM

Love my Geovids, great in any weather!
Cat
Old 01-05-2019, 12:45 PM

I have the Geovid HDs, and they have worked flawlessly for me.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
I have the Leica HD-B 2200 and during the warm weather they function and work amazing. As soon as the temps drop below zero good luck ranging with them. I’ve shipped them back to Leica once already and was replaced with a new pair but same issue works poor in cold weather.
First I would try a different make of battery, make sure it is a Lithium model, and I would put it on a meter to make sure it has the full voltage. These are pretty small batteries to put out the 3 volts they need to and in cold weather all batteries are less effective. If the battery is not the issue I would send them back again. Their spec limit is -25C and mine work to a whole bunch colder than that, as do the CRF models I have,

Last edited by Dean2; 01-05-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:58 PM

https://www.cabelas.com/product/LEIC...R/2343420.uts#!

Reviews are not that good
Old 01-05-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
A battery change for the week readings and a trip for warranty form the noisy one.
Personally however, would listen more to the guys on the forum who use them and use them hard, we don't sit at home or just hunt when it's nice out!
Personally speaking,mine are always with me whenever I leave the house and are always on me when hunting- I consider them the next most important piece of gear next to my rifle or shotgun.
Cat
Old 01-05-2019, 01:13 PM

I would have a serious read before spending the money on these.http://larsonweb.com/blog/?p=1626
Old 01-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A battery change for the week readings and a trip for warranty form the noisy one.
Personally however, would listen more to the guys on the forum who use them and use them hard, we don't sit at home or just hunt when it's nice out!
Personally speaking,mine are always with me whenever I leave the house and are always on me when hunting- I consider them the next most important piece of gear next to my rifle or shotgun.
Cat
Every Leica I’ve tried has had fantastic optics. It seems from what I’ve read the rangefinder is the weak point. FWIW I don’t own (or can afford) these.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Banned

The r are not as good as the HD-B
I never had any issues with cold weather
And there is a new ballistic calculator by G7 that’s available
Old 01-05-2019, 04:24 PM

I have these for sale if you are looking for a pair.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...30#post3905630