Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 01:15 PM

Default Karlsson traded to Sharks!!

Karlsson traded to San Jose Sharks!! Oiye.
Not good for either Alberta club. That will be one stud of a D core.

BH

Old 09-13-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodHound70 View Post
Karlsson traded to San Jose Sharks!! Oiye.
Not good for either Alberta club. That will be one stud of a D core.

BH
Gonna be a lot of points coming from that back end
Old 09-13-2018, 02:15 PM

Bet he is pleased to be out of the Ottawa dumpster fire....but wish him well. I always thought him a class act.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-13-2018, 02:48 PM

RIP Pacific Division
Old 09-13-2018, 02:54 PM

Sharks have arguably the best defensive d man and now arguably the top 2 best offensive d men in the league. What a d corp.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:33 PM

Life-long Sens fan. Melnyk has absolutely decimated my hockey club. I can't wait for him to be out of there.

They traded considerably more for Matt Duchene than they received for Erik Karlsson... hell... Adam Larsson returned Taylor Hall!

What a disgrace. Trading away a Hall of Fame dman because you can't afford him while already on a shoestring budget with a payroll that will struggle to make it to the floor when everything is said and done. What a shame.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:22 PM

Good lord. Karlsson and Burns. That will be fun to watch.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
RIP Pacific Division
That's funny, they are as likely as the Flames or Oilers to win the cup, they should have 5 by now.

If anyone wants to put money on the Sharks winning the cup this year, I'm your huckleberry.

I'll take that bet all day long.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

For a bucket of hockey pucks......ownership, leadership is out to lunch....was kinda hoping to see him go to Vegas.
Sharks are looking very good this year.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-14-2018, 08:16 AM

I wouldn't call it a bucket of pucks......

Karlsson could have played out the rest of the year and pulled a "Tavares"

They could have tried to move him at the deadline and received far less.

They get 3 NHL ready and experienced young players. The rights to Josh Norris who was 1st rounder and a 6'1" 200 lb center playing at Michigan. A 1st round draft pick in either 2019 or 2020 (not sure who's choice it is) and a second rounder in 2020. Also the 2 conditional picks include another 1st rounder if the Sharks make the cup finals this year.

Karlsson has had foot and ankle issues his whole career and last year was another decline in games played from 77 the year previous to 71. I hope he doesn't turn out like Forsberg.

For a team in a rebuild, this was a fairly good trade. And honestly if Karlsson wanted to stay he would have signed for Ottawa's offer. Karlsson said last year that this contact was going to be his "pay day" and no "hometown discount" would be accepted.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

They get 3 NHL ready and experienced young players. The rights to Josh Norris who was 1st rounder and a 6'1" 200 lb center playing at Michigan. A 1st round draft pick in either 2019 or 2020 (not sure who's choice it is) and a second rounder in 2020. Also the 2 conditional picks include another 1st rounder if the Sharks make the cup finals this year.

Karlsson has had foot and ankle issues his whole career and last year was another decline in games played from 77 the year previous to 71. I hope he doesn't turn out like Forsberg.

For a team in a rebuild, this was a fairly good trade. And honestly if Karlsson wanted to stay he would have signed for Ottawa's offer. Karlsson said last year that this contact was going to be his "pay day" and no "hometown discount" would be accepted.
He had already won a Norris trophy before experiencing any ankle or foot issues, and received a Conn Smythe vote without making the finals (first time in history) on essentially one foot. I don't think it's much of an issue.

It was a brutal return, there's not much more to say about it. Not sure who the third NHL ready player is. Other than Tierney, it's all spare parts unfortunately. Maybe he will re-sign with Ottawa in the summer when Melnyk is forced out
Old 09-14-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
He had already won a Norris trophy before experiencing any ankle or foot issues, and received a Conn Smythe vote without making the finals (first time in history) on essentially one foot. I don't think it's much of an issue.

It was a brutal return, there's not much more to say about it. Not sure who the third NHL ready player is. Other than Tierney, it's all spare parts unfortunately. Maybe he will re-sign with Ottawa in the summer when Melnyk is forced out

Isn't he the owner???? Not quite like firing a coach or GM.

Were you hoping to see a Weber/Subban type deal? What team is going to trade their number 1 d-man for Karlsson when he is UFA next summer. That is 1 hell of a gamble. There is not even a guarantee that Karlsson sign with the Sharks long term. If the Senators could have sign him to a 7 or 8 year deal in July and were now trading, then I see the return being a little more significant. I bet the Islanders wished they had dealt Tavares in the summer of 2017.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
[/B]

Isn't he the owner???? Not quite like firing a coach or GM.

Were you hoping to see a Weber/Subban type deal? What team is going to trade their number 1 d-man for Karlsson when he is UFA next summer. That is 1 hell of a gamble. There is not even a guarantee that Karlsson sign with the Sharks long term. If the Senators could have sign him to a 7 or 8 year deal in July and were now trading, then I see the return being a little more significant. I bet the Islanders wished they had dealt Tavares in the summer of 2017.
If he continues to threaten to move the team on national TV, and continues the rest of this circus show of shedding salary simply because he doesn't have the pockets to own a team, it's not a stretch to see the NHL become involved. Not to mention the massive, massive loss of attendance that they are going to experience. They have less than 4,000 STH. It's going to be a nightmare.

He's a Hall of Fame dman. You have to expect a little more in return. This isn't just me talking as a fan, I haven't seen an "expert" that isn't a little dumbfounded. Weber for Subban deal, no. Legitimate prospects or some non-late round picks (or a higher quantity of picks that makes up for where they'll likely select from at the draft), yes.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 AM

Thornton, Kane, Pavelski, Couture and Burns have all been very welcoming of there new blue line aquisition on social media Pretty cool to see. Man that team has a roster. Have fun Edmonton.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:27 AM

Sometimes you get too many superstars on a team egos get in the way and the team dynamic suffers.

Karlsson may be talented but the team fell apart in Ottawa. Was he part of the problem? Time will tell.

Burns is an imposing personality on the team. IF they butt heads Flames and Oilers are good. IF they mesh...we are hooped.

I still remember that all the superstars in the world have left Edmonton flat footed and golfing some great rounds.

Guessing who will win the Cup this year is a fools game. Teams are so close and hot streaks are king.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-14-2018, 10:36 AM

I do feel sorry for Duchene, he leaves Colorado and they final a good season and playoff run. He comes to Ottawa thinking these guys made it to the Eastern Final and that turns out terrible.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Man that team has a roster. Have fun Edmonton.
And EVERY other team in the league. Not sure why you'd single out strictly Edmonton
Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM

I was hoping Edmonton would put together some future 1st picks and make a run at him. Assuming he would resign there.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I was hoping Edmonton would put together some future 1st picks and make a run at him. Assuming he would resign there.
Edmonton was on his no-trade list.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
If he continues to threaten to move the team on national TV, and continues the rest of this circus show of shedding salary simply because he doesn't have the pockets to own a team, it's not a stretch to see the NHL become involved. Not to mention the massive, massive loss of attendance that they are going to experience. They have less than 4,000 STH. It's going to be a nightmare.

He's a Hall of Fame dman. You have to expect a little more in return. This isn't just me talking as a fan, I haven't seen an "expert" that isn't a little dumbfounded. Weber for Subban deal, no. Legitimate prospects or some non-late round picks (or a higher quantity of picks that makes up for where they'll likely select from at the draft), yes.

I totally agree IF he was signed long term by Ottawa. Last year was definitely not his best year and there is some emotional baggage too. Lost a child, the harassment issue with Hoffman's girlfriend, Anderson speaking out about the "Drama" on the team. Karlsson was the captain, what went wrong? I might be wrong but I doubt the Sharks will give him 12 per year (Weber's salary) and I believe that is where he wants to be. But maybe they will.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
And EVERY other team in the league. Not sure why you'd single out strictly Edmonton
Because Edmonton has a knack of not being able to attract any names ever. Lately the only name that they have been able to attract has been a washed up Lucic. But hey i hear he lost 15 pounds so he will now magically have some hands. LOL
Old 09-14-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
[/B]

I totally agree IF he was signed long term by Ottawa. Last year was definitely not his best year and there is some emotional baggage too. Lost a child, the harassment issue with Hoffman's girlfriend, Anderson speaking out about the "Drama" on the team. Karlsson was the captain, what went wrong? I might be wrong but I doubt the Sharks will give him 12 per year (Weber's salary) and I believe that is where he wants to be. But maybe they will.
I don't think he ends up signing there, period. But we shall see!
Old 09-14-2018, 04:20 PM

"SHOW ME THE MONEY" get over it it's business. Their are teams that do and those that don't have the money.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Ok two buckets of pucks....this is a world class player not a second liner, franchise changer only trades that would make sense was to trade straight across for a top 5 world class player but they got a hockey sock of what if's...maybe's....very little value kinda like trading your Ferrari for a smart car, VW Jetta and a free oil change.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-15-2018, 10:52 AM

Kane-couture-pavelski/Thornton
Burns-karlsson

This PP is gona eat the pacific alive.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Kane-couture-pavelski/Thornton
Burns-karlsson

This PP is gona eat the pacific alive.
Except for the Flames. We got this. They might have a lot of talent on that team, but we have something they don't have...

And eventually we will find out what that is.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Because Edmonton has a knack of not being able to attract any names ever. Lately the only name that they have been able to attract has been a washed up Lucic. But hey i hear he lost 15 pounds so he will now magically have some hands. LOL
Did Lucic ever have "hands"? Not the reason he was signed. Remember game 7 of the boston/toronto series? That's what Lucic does.
Arguably the best player in the world signed with the oilers long term. Must have something going for them
30 other teams would have gave him the same money...or more
Old 09-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Did Lucic ever have "hands"? Not the reason he was signed. Remember game 7 of the boston/toronto series? That's what Lucic does.
Arguably the best player in the world signed with the oilers long term. Must have something going for them
Can't wait to see him in a game 7 this year. Probably on the couch eating chips, because they missed the playoffs again.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Sometimes you get too many superstars on a team egos get in the way and the team dynamic suffers.

Karlsson may be talented but the team fell apart in Ottawa. Was he part of the problem? Time will tell.

Burns is an imposing personality on the team. IF they butt heads Flames and Oilers are good. IF they mesh...we are hooped.

I still remember that all the superstars in the world have left Edmonton flat footed and golfing some great rounds.

Guessing who will win the Cup this year is a fools game. Teams are so close and hot streaks are king.

Oh, something tells me Burns and Karlsson will mesh just fine. If they end up on the same line (they likely will for the PP at least), Karlsson (76% of his career points are assists) is a bit more of a set up man than Burns (68% career assists). I foresee a lot of one-timers from Karlsson to Burns this year. Plus, they both shoot from the right - some very interesting possibilities there as well.

I had the Sharks as the dark horse in the playoffs last year. I'm predicting they will go much deeper this year (says Captain Obvious )
Old 09-15-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Lucic used to have hands enough to take a pass and set up a play. The best player in the world was obtained through the draft. Edmonton can’t ever obtain free agents. Free agents refuse to sign with Edmonton. It’s getting old...