Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 11:49 AM

Exclamation OFF or ON grid solar packages

I found a company in Lloydminster today that is installing ON-grid systems. No batteries, just a micro-invertor that converts solar to useable electricity. They base the system on your annual usage, for me it would be 10,000Kwh average for the house and shop. They said they can only go to ~125% of your current usage, but you can 'fudge' the system a little by saying you are going to be adding a shop of equipment and need higher output. The Government is offering a 30% rebate.
The salesman said that for normal use it should pay for itself in 5-6 years, but doing the math I found it to be nearly 4x that. On a current bill of $200 only $61 of that was actual power used for the house.
He said that some people are calling ATCO and telling them to charge 2x the current rate for power, so roughly $12c/Kwh and when there is 0 usage from the house all of that goes back to Atco and they pay you. The trouble I have is for the 4 months of less sun and 4 months of zero sun the colar panels are going to be doing nothing, which going by the math means the panels won't be paid for until nearly 30 years have passed, and they only guarantee them for 25.
This may work very well further south, I am wondering if anyone in this part of the world on AO has done this?

I just deleted the power meter at the garage and tied the garage into the main box at the house. That alone will save me $1512.00 in 'transmission charge, distribution charge, rate riders and local access fee charges' at $125.97 per month.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-13-2018, 12:16 PM

If you do a little research, you can piece together a solar system from online sellers. Install yourself, maybe have an Electrician tie it into you're panel. The Packages are expensive and Installers even more so. Guy's on KIJIJI are selling large solar panels cheap, brought in by the sea-can from China. I plan on a DIY solar setup when I build my new garage next year, will have a large south facing roof to cover with solar.