Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2018, 02:09 PM

Default How many hours per year to justify keeping your boat?

Just wondering what the minimum number of hours per year you'd have to put on your boat to justify keeping it?

We have a Bayliner 175 that we used quite a bit when we first got it 7 or 8 years ago. So far we've put about 240 hours total on it, but only 2 hours this year, it didn't even leave the garage last year, and the year before that was only 12 hours.

I have free storage right now, but if I had to pay for storage... when do you decide to pull the plug?
Old 09-10-2018, 02:33 PM

When you stop enjoying it.

But I guess it's more of a question, WHY didn't you use it?

Too busy? Kids not interested? etc.? If it doesn't look like you're going to use it moving forward because of the reason, why keep it.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:35 PM

Only time I would ever sell is to get something better for my purpose. Boats were never a real huge purchase in the past, 10g or so a couple times. The big new boat is a completely different realm. I will only sell this one to buy bigger. Mine was in the ocean 24 days this year so let's call it 300 hours.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-10-2018, 02:59 PM

I didn't use mine much this year
When I went fishing somebody had a boat already, the fishing near Lloyd has not been good for the last a few years I usually go somewhere else for fishing the boat stays home. Its paid for and doesn't cost me anything to store I guess would be the reason I keep it, used 3 days about16 hours all summer.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:50 PM

We had the same issue with our 18' Four Winns. It would, go out 4-5 times a year when we bought it, but a couple years later we got quads, and splitting up the time between them, we ended up selling the boat. It sat in the yard for a full year not used.
Funny, we now refer to my dad's 14' Springbok as 'the big boat' .
I bought a little 12'er to haul around with the quad, and that has been fine. I do want to upsize it eventually.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:15 PM

My drift boat hasn't seen the water in 2 years... If I sell it I am pretty sure I'll never replace it.... I'm choosing to ride out the dry dock.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Its paid for and doesn't cost me anything to store
That's about it right there. It's paid for and doesn't cost us anything other than fuel/maintenance/insurance, it's in excellent condition, and if I tried to sell it I'm sure its worth more to me than to anyone else.

My wife and I still enjoy getting out on the water with the big boat but we also have a couple kayaks and have been enjoying them a fair bit this year. Our kids are older now and haven't asked to go tubing/wake boarding in a few years. We asked if they wanted to go back to the Shuswap again this summer like we did a few years ago and they weren't too interested.

And then when I look at the weather we've been having the past few years I think we'd be better off with a sail boat
Old 09-10-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I didn't use mine much this year
When I went fishing somebody had a boat already, the fishing near Lloyd has not been good for the last a few years I usually go somewhere else for fishing the boat stays home. Its paid for and doesn't cost me anything to store I guess would be the reason I keep it, used 3 days about16 hours all summer.
Where are you going fishing at, i have had real good luck around Lloyd.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:11 PM

I had a beautiful Lund 16' boat, three guys could fish out of it wonderfully and my family and I enjoyed many fine days in it. When the kids turned around 12 and 7 they expressed an interest in golfing. Golfing soon became a thing for all of us, sooo sold the boat. Now the kids are gone and I had to quite golf for health reasons. How I pine after that boat. Now I bought a little 14 ft utility and am looking for a 20hp motor for it.

I guess I am trying to say if it's paid for and storage is not a problem, hang onto it. The twists and turns of life have a way of pushing us in directions we cannot see from where we are at. Now I am waiting for the day my little Grandson can accompany me fishing.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-10-2018, 05:26 PM

There are some good points on here.

I am choosing to ride out the dry dock.

doesn't cost me anything to store.

The real question is do you still want to fish? Do you have friends that will take you?

Can you do what you want to do...fish...with or with out your boat?
Old 09-10-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I had a beautiful Lund 16' boat, three guys could fish out of it wonderfully and my family and I enjoyed many fine days in it. When the kids turned around 12 and 7 they expressed an interest in golfing. Golfing soon became a thing for all of us, sooo sold the boat. Now the kids are gone and I had to quite golf for health reasons. How I pine after that boat. Now I bought a little 14 ft utility and am looking for a 20hp motor for it.

I guess I am trying to say if it's paid for and storage is not a problem, hang onto it. The twists and turns of life have a way of pushing us in directions we cannot see from where we are at. Now I am waiting for the day my little Grandson can accompany me fishing.
Piker I have seen some amazing deals on 20hp outboards, like a 2009 Honda for $1500, ridiculously cheap. If you add me on facebook or pm me your # I can send you the info if I see something great?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-10-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Piker I have seen some amazing deals on 20hp outboards, like a 2009 Honda for $1500, ridiculously cheap. If you add me on facebook or pm me your # I can send you the info if I see something great?
I am on a Kijiji alert list so I get every 20 hp listed in Ab. I am leaning to new as I have studied the break in procedure of the new 4 strokes. It is quite involved and takes about 10 hrs. I am not convinced that most people would follow it. I have seen some smoking deals on new mercury's from the Edmonton area, but am a little short in savings to pull the trigger right now. To bad because they will not be on sale in the spring, but such is life. Thank you for your thought though, I appreciate it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-10-2018, 05:52 PM

I didn't want to see this thread. People with a boat not using it. I have a 15 foot square stern aluminum I have always used for everything but have thought about getting a 16 or 18 foot fishing boat and motor for a long time. Actually gone to a few auctions to bid on Lunds but then bail when prices start climbing above my budget of under $5000 (boat and motor)in case it sits in yard more than being used (something like the 5th wheel). Farmers are not good at using toys for when the weather is nice we are farming and when the weather is nasty who wants to be out on the lake. this year we were at 2 lakes for 3-4 days each while boys looked after farm. Kinbrook had beautiful weather but high winds so no canoe time at all (only have electric motor). No fish caught from shore.
Took a trip up to cold Lake to see the inlaws and BIL booked a guided fishing trip and the lake was really rough but guide had a big suitable boat so took us to sheltered area behind an island. 2 anglers caught 71 lakers in 6 hours.
So I equate boat to catching fish rather than just casting from shore for exercise and fresh air.

BIL says lots of boats for sale in Cold Lake so he is watching for me
Old 09-10-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

Don't rule out a 15 hp. I have a mercury on the back of my 14' princecraft and it is all the power I need and excellent on fuel.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 PM
Banned

If it’s paid for I wouldn’t worry about it. It would cost me $50k+ to replace my boat with a new one, I can’t see myself selling my boat any time soon. Once it’s paid for taking it out just once or twice a year is all I need to justify keeping it.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:21 AM
Banned

Why look at quantity,
Look at Quality.

I got out 3 times so far this year, hoping for one more before I out her to bed.
But Life got busy, I had other projects that I put my fishing funds into this year.

This is the second year with the boat.

And you know the best part, I actually got to back my trailer down the boat ramp, without any help for the first time.

That is going to stand out more than actually how many hours I used her for.

And that was after only 3 hours on the lake.

Next year I get to take my new girlfriend out.
Even If that is only 3 hours it’s going to create one great memory .
Old 09-11-2018, 01:13 AM

Default Keep it!

I agree with a previous post - keep it and “ride out the dry dock”!

Unless its costing you money. Boats seem to only be going up year after year in price. You know its history and if it covers your needs when you go out and its paid for - that sounds like the perfect boat to me!
Old 09-11-2018, 04:55 AM

late night musings:
I own a 18' bayliner with 4.3 mercruiser. Outfitted with 4 downriggers. Ideally I would like a fishing boat, but I still wake board and the kids are starting water sports now too.
1. 11 days this year, 10-12 days average per year. To rent would cost me at least $5000 per year conservatively.
2. Owning a boat is expensive- especially if you're not using it much-Factor in trailer tires, fluids (I change everything yearly), cleaning products, winterizing etc- it's a costly hobby to be sure. But to have a boat at my fingertips, set up the way I want/need it to be is priceless. We've made a ton of memories and it is well worth the time and expense.

I would say if you're using it only once or twice a year- you're way better off renting a boat when you get the itch. Fluids/winterizing alone costs me around $250 per season- and that's doing all the labour myself. DEPRECIATION is a huge factor as well
There are websites now similiar to Air BnB where you can rent boats/RV's privately from people. If my usage was as low as yours- I would go that way for sure.
My $.02
Old 09-11-2018, 02:15 PM

Guess it depends on the boat to an extent. I have two at the moment, a 14ft aluminum w/15hp motor and a 10ft pram with a trolling motor. Each has their uses and advantages and disadvantages. I didn't use either one so far this year, got sidetracked by other things, or the weather sucked. But they cost nothing to store, the pram is a bit pesky, in that it needs to be indoors, they are there if I want to use them. And it is worth keeping them, even for the small amount of use they get these days. That time is worth a lot to me.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:14 PM

Old 09-11-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
That's about it right there. It's paid for and doesn't cost us anything other than fuel/maintenance/insurance, it's in excellent condition, and if I tried to sell it I'm sure its worth more to me than to anyone else.

My wife and I still enjoy getting out on the water with the big boat but we also have a couple kayaks and have been enjoying them a fair bit this year. Our kids are older now and haven't asked to go tubing/wake boarding in a few years. We asked if they wanted to go back to the Shuswap again this summer like we did a few years ago and they weren't too interested.

And then when I look at the weather we've been having the past few years I think we'd be better off with a sail boat
If paid for, you don't need the money, you have a place to store it, it is not falling apart, you see yourself using it in the future, it is not costing an unreasonable amount to store, it is not super annoying inconveniencing you, you know how to use it, then why worry about getting rid of it.

Life tends to deal out change...maybe you hurt the back or an arm and the kayaks become a memory. Going out and rebuying something means risking getting a lemon or having other problems.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewks View Post
X2 and I have two.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:40 AM

I always kick myself for getting rid of "toys". If you got the room and they don't cost you anything keep them.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Gone Hunting

I have two boats. I took one for a test run this spring, it was overheating.
Other then that they haven't been on the water since last summer even though I've been out fishing twice.

For me, the boats will stay until my executor sells them.

For most of my life I didn't own a boat, couldn't afford one. But I did a lot of boating using other peoples boats.
Too often those boats weren't available when I was, plus I hate to borrow.

I'd much rather be a lender, so the boats stay and are available to family and friends any time. That alone is reason enough for me to keep them.

Besides, they are paid for, storage is free and they aren't worth much.
I like it that way.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-12-2018, 10:46 PM

If you use a boat twice a year for a week it’s probably cheaper to rent one when you need it
Old 09-13-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
If you use a boat twice a year for a week it’s probably cheaper to rent one when you need it
Not likely. Maybe one day a year. Last time I checked (this summer), a ski boat (not even a wakeboard boat) was $700/day + gas.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:58 AM

If its paid off and you have free storage then there seems to be no big deal. If you need some cash, then sell it imo.

We are on a boat at least 30 days a year, every year it goes up a day or two it seems.

There was a period where the boat sat unused for about 5 years as no one had time off, babies ect. Would have regretted selling it, as new boats are more than a truck. We use the boat as a family boat, anyone can take it out. Works for us

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2018, 06:11 PM

1 hour of pure enjoyment would be enough for me!!
I really do enjoy it and so does my better half.
Its a win win for us.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 09-13-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Not likely. Maybe one day a year. Last time I checked (this summer), a ski boat (not even a wakeboard boat) was $700/day + gas.
And what is that boat worth to buy? To store, to maintain? How much are your payments and how would those payments look in an investment? There’s lots to consider....
Old 09-13-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
And what is that boat worth to buy? To store, to maintain? How much are your payments and how would those payments look in an investment? There’s lots to consider....

Mine is not a skiboat, had 1 of them for a long time.

Just for chat purposes, to buy mine new now is over $200,000.00 rigged the way it is. Similar boats used right now mid $80,000.00.
Payments are $0.
Storage is $0.
Maintenance- winterize $250.00 Insurance $1000 repairs and upgrades of course extra $

My boat is depreciated as far as it is going to go for likely 10 more years, and actually came up in value the last couple years. Insured value is $140,000.00 and they are telling me to go higher.
My investment in this boat is growing.

Now, let's look at value vs going to a lodge.

Generally 3 days is ~$4000.00.
I went 24 days in 2018. At a Lodge, and I don't mean a 5* heavily catered lodge, that would cost me $32,000.00.
This is my 4th season with my own boat. So $128,000 if I went to a lodge, 24 days x 4 years.
Then I am stuck to their hours, their rules, their habits, and sharing rods and reel time with 3 other guys.
With my boat if I want to go 4 or 16 hours I do it. The port downrigger is mine, every single fish that comes up on my side is mine. Not Robb Bob Kevin Ken, Robb, Bob Kevin Ken.... you know what I mean.

For me owning a boat is the only way. I bought it when I had everything else paid off, and money in the bank. I would never go in debt for something like this though, if there was still a mortgage on the house or business.

My boat investment has been a very good one, and the value increases yearly.