Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2018, 01:31 PM

Default Bumping deer: scent control issue?

Hi everyone,

It's my second season going out for deer. Didn't connect last season. This morning was my first deer outing of the season. I bumped at least two of them while slow-walking through the bush. I didn't see them, but I could hear them running off and doing that snorting sound they make. This happened once or twice last season as well. My question is this: Do I need to make more effort in scent control? Or is it more likely that I wasn't walking quietly enough? There was basically no wind out there, so good or bad wind wasn't a factor. Is it simply not worth still-hunting on a totally windless day? Or do I need to wash all my clothes in the special detergent, spray myself down, etc.? There are many many products out there for keeping scent under control, and I'm wondering, are they worth it, or are they just gimmicks made to get our money? What do you guys do, or what do you not bother doing, regarding scent control while still-hunting whitetails?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
Hi everyone,

It's my second season going out for deer. Didn't connect last season. This morning was my first deer outing of the season. I bumped at least two of them while slow-walking through the bush. I didn't see them, but I could hear them running off and doing that snorting sound they make. This happened once or twice last season as well. My question is this: Do I need to make more effort in scent control? Or is it more likely that I wasn't walking quietly enough? There was basically no wind out there, so good or bad wind wasn't a factor. Is it simply not worth still-hunting on a totally windless day? Or do I need to wash all my clothes in the special detergent, spray myself down, etc.? There are many many products out there for keeping scent under control, and I'm wondering, are they worth it, or are they just gimmicks made to get our money? What do you guys do, or what do you not bother doing, regarding scent control while still-hunting whitetails?
It could be any number of things. You say there was no wind to you but even the slightest little breeze in their direction they will smell you. You cant fool their noses. It could also be that they heard you or even saw you. Go to Canadian tire and get some "windicator". Use it to determine the wind and hunt into it. If you hunt the wind and are slow/quiet enough you'll be more successful. Also remember this, if you get busted by a deer or two, don't let that stop you from continuing on. Hold tight for a few mins until it calms down again and keep on still hunting. There are more deer around you and they wont all bugger off if a couple others do
Old 09-19-2018, 02:04 PM

If you are bumping deer odds are you are moving too fast. If you know there could be deer in a bush slow down and vary your footsteps. Take an hour to cover 75 yards and watch the ground well ahead. I never use scent control and more than once have snuck into 25 -30 yards before the deer are getting concerned. As long as the breeze is in your face stink don't matter that much.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-19-2018, 02:29 PM

Yup there are wright not give up it not how many deer you get but how to get close with being busted more you do the better hunter you will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2018, 05:00 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

One wor" wind"...in your face....slow methodical approach...wind on your back and you will be busted, walking like a city boy out on a date...busted.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2018, 07:14 PM

They can see and/or hear you 4x as good as you can them. Try to head out on a windy day, I've found that you can get much closer, and catch them off guard.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:50 PM

I intentionally put them up, only way I’m going to see them. If they scent you, your busted. If they don’t, good chances those curious beasts will want to slip around to get that sniff. When I put up a deer, I go straight to the nearest rest, then quietly scan the Bush, looking for a blink. Squirrels, magpies, woodpeckers, all react to deer walking into them, listen. Double check your wind before moving on, anticipating their movement. Most of my whitetail harvests have been in this manner. The rest were silly bucks walking straight into me.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:23 PM

Even when it seems there is no wind there likely is a bit. A steadier wind is often better with less chance of swirling but make sure to keep any wind that exists in your face.
Like a lot of the other guys have said, more than likely you were just moving too quickly. I find myself doing this at the start of the year or if I only have a day to hunt. Don't rush. Take your time and really slow down. So slow it seems ridiculous.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 09-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Grab a bottle of wind indicator and use it every 20-30 steps on a 'windless' day - there's thermals and small breezes that can surprise you.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Buy a wind indicator puffer bottle and use it. Tape a small feather to your barrel or bow stabilizer.

Buy a pack of tictacs. Empty it out except for three. Put it in an external pocket. If you hear rattling you are moving too fast.

The best way to hunt whitetails is to hike until you find lots of fresh sign, move down wind of that spot, then sit still and be quiet. Regardless of how good anyone thinks they are at still hunting, ambush hunting will always be more effective.

The scent control stuff minimizes the scent you leave behind, which is important if you are sitting in the same stand or blind frequently. There is no way to hide the scent directly coming from a human.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:54 PM

Thanks a lot for the responses. Very interesting. Definitely sounds like I'm walking too fast, and also underestimating the importance of very light wind.