Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-10-2018, 12:13 PM

Default how many stands do you have up ?

Curious as to how many stands people have up around the country? Private land, or crown ?
Old 09-10-2018, 12:16 PM

4 on private land 2 on the ground and to in the air
Old 09-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Two ladder stands on private land ,8 ladder stands on Crown, 1 ground blind on Crown.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM

I have 0 up this year. 😞 I got a new job and haven't had a chance to set some up. I will have to rely on my climber this year.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 09-10-2018, 01:17 PM

One hang on stand.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:38 PM

1 store bought stand hopefully. Used to be 2 as one was stolen, although, I haven't check this one lately.

8 wood built ones.

All on crown land.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:26 PM

Currently 11 on private. Will be one more going in on some grazing lease soon. Took the chainsaw and cut myself some nests in brush piles for the ground game.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:48 PM

0 stands, haven’t hunted a stand since 2011, I like to hunt on foot! Mainly because I don’t want them stolen.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:17 AM

We have 6 between me and my dad. 4 of them on private land. We lock ours up to the tree.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:39 PM

What height do you guys put em at and what species? Do you use blinds up in the trees and when you hear or see a deer when do you start to prep the bow?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlatvian View Post
What height do you guys put em at and what species? Do you use blinds up in the trees and when you hear or see a deer when do you start to prep the bow?
You can never have your bow in hand to soon. Less movement done on your part, all the better.

I’ve had stands as low as 10’ and as high as 36’. Average these days would be around the 20’ area. If there’s good enough cover/back drop, I prefer the lower sets for better shot angles. No blinds in the tree for this cat. Pick a good back drop and stay still. If you’re 25 yards away from the trail you expect game on it’s no big deal being up high but if an animal gets in tighter than anticipated you best be well acquainted with a serious bend at the hips to shoot or maybe not shoot at all. A good harness system can pay dividends in such a scenario and is something I practice for. Doing so tied off at ground level will give you a feel for it before moving to an elevated platform should you choose. Biggest thing for an accurate shot from height is consistent form. Maintaining your T like in practice regardless of stand height/shot angle. Don’t drop your bow arm to the target. Bend at the hips and keep your form.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
You can never have your bow in hand to soon. Less movement done on your part, all the better.

I’ve had stands as low as 10’ and as high as 36’. Average these days would be around the 20’ area. If there’s good enough cover/back drop, I prefer the lower sets for better shot angles. No blinds in the tree for this cat. Pick a good back drop and stay still. If you’re 25 yards away from the trail you expect game on it’s no big deal being up high but if an animal gets in tighter than anticipated you best be well acquainted with a serious bend at the hips to shoot or maybe not shoot at all. A good harness system can pay dividends in such a scenario and is something I practice for. Doing so tied off at ground level will give you a feel for it before moving to an elevated platform should you choose. Biggest thing for an accurate shot from height is consistent form. Maintaining your T like in practice regardless of stand height/shot angle. Don’t drop your bow arm to the target. Bend at the hips and keep your form.
great reply, last question, at what yardage do normally draw your bow? I saw lot of does at under 15 yards in my first tree stand last friday but I felt they could hear me draw sub 20 yards.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlatvian View Post
great reply, last question, at what yardage do normally draw your bow? I saw lot of does at under 15 yards in my first tree stand last friday but I felt they could hear me draw sub 20 yards.
Can’t offer a one does all answer for you as every situation can and will vary. Actually having deer to practice drawing on is a great tool if you can perform it without compromising yourself. Whether you feel they can hear you or not, if you’re getting to full draw and don’t have heads snapping up and sets of eyes staring bullet holes through you then you’re getting it done. Drawing early isn’t a bad thing if you can potentially hold at draw for as long as you want but it’s a roll of the dice if you can’t. They can hold up for no apparent reason for longer than you’d ever think necessary and for whatever reason they please. There’s no one answer. The more you hunt, you’ll develop a better feel of the animals and situations you’re facing.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Currently 11 on private. Will be one more going in on some grazing lease soon. Took the chainsaw and cut myself some nests in brush piles for the ground game.
I stumbled onto something like this couple years ago. Big brush pile by a dugout. thought it would be a good spot to hide, climbed to the top and found a great spot someone had carved out. plywood floor, shelves cut out etc. Used it a couple times, but never saw a thing.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:37 PM

Right now 8

LC
Old 09-13-2018, 10:30 PM

This year only have 12 hang ons and 4 ladders. (But it is still early in the season) . Last year 17 hangers and 4 ladders ... it sucks bringing them all in during the first few weekends in December, But I like to have morning and evening sets in good locations for most wind directions .. I reset them every season, in new scouted locations so I don’t get complacent , and just hunt an area because I have a stand there!!

Lots of work/fun but usually it pays off. Most times I try to get over 16-17 feet where I can, but sometimes I have to go lower if the trees aren’t as sturdy
Old 09-14-2018, 06:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

4 unless one took a walk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-14-2018, 07:34 AM

9. 2 ground sets. Been using a lot more ladder stand sets now. However, we have a couple of portable lone wolf stands that can be hung in less than ideal trees.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:28 PM

Right now I have 7 tree stands out. Sometimes feel like I could have twice as many out, but still mostly use a couple stands the majority of the time.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk