Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 11:51 AM

Default What kind of Wilderness Experience would you want? Off grid Log Cabin

If you were looking for an Off Grid, Log Cabin wilderness retreat to rent,

What would make it the most amazing experience for you?

One you couldn't wait to come back to,

One you'd tell stories of to all your friends.

What would need to be provided for you?

What would bring Value over and above other Cabins for rent?

My wife and I took a 10 day vacation and rented this AMAZING little cabin, It's an original area Homestead cabin built in the early 1900's that they took apart, replaced the bad logs and rebuilt. To think 6 kids were raised in this little gem.

Completely off grid, no running water, no electricity except for one solar panel that runs a few LED lights. If you want Cell service it means getting in the truck and driving 2 miles, and even at that the service is sketchy.

There's even a Sauna!

We saw Elk, Black bear, a Fisher woke us up one morning running around on the porch roof and railing, and a Wolf paid us a visit one night, we didn't see it, but he left us a little (really big) present just off the porch steps and the his tracks were in the dust on the road in the next morning.

The local fishing was amazing, we got a belly full of Walleye every night. The property sits within 15 minutes of 3 stunning lakes.

Here's a few pics, I'd really be interested to know what would make your Off Grid Log Cabin rental an experience you'd never forget. Thanks!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabin1.jpg (28.4 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg cabin2.jpg (20.1 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg entrance.jpg (16.1 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg sauna.jpg (34.7 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg view2.jpg (12.0 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg image1 (1).jpg (32.5 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg image1 (2).jpg (49.8 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg sunset.jpg (18.1 KB, 248 views)
Old 09-13-2018, 12:01 PM

Some more pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walley1.jpg (19.9 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg walley2.jpg (21.0 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (60.6 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg image1 (3).jpg (57.2 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg image1 (4).jpg (47.3 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg image5.jpg (29.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg image1 (5).jpg (66.8 KB, 207 views)
Old 09-13-2018, 02:27 PM

You have to tell us now where is it located....
Old 09-13-2018, 02:34 PM

Very nice!

Yes I remember as a kids playing about in the outdoors and getting a drink from that old style, hand water pump, without a cup in hand.... "pump, listen, pump listen, pu-face wash'!!

Once she was flowing, you'd be okay.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:38 PM

I lived in an off grid cabin for 6 months. Same scenario... hand pump for water, coal oil lamp for light. I was alone so it would have been nice to have a woman with me. I did have a dog and horse for company.

If I was going to rent a place like the OP did it would be nice to have access to a good horse. Nice to have the option go for a ride instead of just fishing the whole time.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-13-2018, 05:12 PM

Not fancy but well maintained and functional, decent river/lake, pretty much what you described.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:20 PM

A wood stove to take off the chill and everything not covered in mice dirt are all I need as long as the price is fair when renting. If I were thinking about creature comforts you would want to supply for renters I'm thinking folding chairs, hammocks, campstove, washbasin, drying rack, kindling, firewood, cots, air mattresses, camp foods, wool blankets, bear mace, flashlights, flourescent lantern, water containers, toilet paper, dishes, pots etc. , binoculars, nature guides outdoors books, portable am/fm/shortwave radio, cribbage board and cards, Bailey's, coffee, candles. I had a cabin out on the land for a few years and I miss it. I would love to rent a place like this for ten days. Nice pics.

Last edited by HighlandHeart; 09-13-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:17 PM

Location, location, location... I would want to be able to hunt from the cabin without driving and hike into the mountains.

As for the cabin itself: clean, close water source, pit toilet, wood stove & cut wood, fire pit/barbeque. Food prep area but no supplies other than maybe a kettle and frying pan. No bedding or mattresses, just bunks.

Would want it simple to keep cost down.

Matt
Old 09-13-2018, 09:16 PM

A view of an ocean within throwing distance. I would rather have water heat and power though.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-14-2018, 09:52 AM

I have cabin like that at Sunshine Coast. There are three log cabins, each with solar power. We have underground water collector and massive storage tanks. Gravity fed running water. Propane tanks for hot water, cooking and powering fridge/freezer, big fireplace for heating.Mine is 1600 square ft, 20ft above the water. Fish, crabs, prawns and oysters. 8 km by boat access.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Would have to be lake or ocean front for me. Boat access only sounds like my prefect retreat!
Old 09-14-2018, 04:54 PM

Cabin on stilts on a hard sand bonefish flat.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-14-2018, 10:27 PM

Write in your google maps Foley head Or Foley Moutain and zoom on East side of it
Old 09-15-2018, 08:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

What more would you want, awesome, back to the basics.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-15-2018, 08:56 AM

Sweet little cabin! For me, location would be everything. Meaning solitude. Away from other people for a break with nature. To be able to shoot, or catch your meals every day, priceless.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
You have to tell us now where is it located....
It's in Manitoba, The Area is called Crawford Park right beside Riding Mountain National Park.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
Very nice!

Yes I remember as a kids playing about in the outdoors and getting a drink from that old style, hand water pump, without a cup in hand.... "pump, listen, pump listen, pu-face wash'!!

Once she was flowing, you'd be okay.
Yes!!! Total truth!!!
Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I lived in an off grid cabin for 6 months. Same scenario... hand pump for water, coal oil lamp for light. I was alone so it would have been nice to have a woman with me. I did have a dog and horse for company.

If I was going to rent a place like the OP did it would be nice to have access to a good horse. Nice to have the option go for a ride instead of just fishing the whole time.
Great point! Perhaps guided horseback tours into the neighboring National Park?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
A wood stove to take off the chill and everything not covered in mice dirt are all I need as long as the price is fair when renting. If I were thinking about creature comforts you would want to supply for renters I'm thinking folding chairs, hammocks, campstove, washbasin, drying rack, kindling, firewood, cots, air mattresses, camp foods, wool blankets, bear mace, flashlights, flourescent lantern, water containers, toilet paper, dishes, pots etc. , binoculars, nature guides outdoors books, portable am/fm/shortwave radio, cribbage board and cards, Bailey's, coffee, candles. I had a cabin out on the land for a few years and I miss it. I would love to rent a place like this for ten days. Nice pics.
Great suggestions HighlandHeart! This cabin has everything on your list except supplied bear spray. That's a great Idea, we automatically take our own but I suppose not everyone would think of it.

I'm curious what you think a fair price would be?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Location, location, location... I would want to be able to hunt from the cabin without driving and hike into the mountains.

As for the cabin itself: clean, close water source, pit toilet, wood stove & cut wood, fire pit/barbeque. Food prep area but no supplies other than maybe a kettle and frying pan. No bedding or mattresses, just bunks.

Would want it simple to keep cost down.

Matt
Last year the owner of the property told me he woke up in the morning, made a pot of coffee, poured one, stepped out onto the porch, leaned his gun on the railing, put his feet up, waited 35 minutes till a bull moose wandered out into the clearing I have pictured (there's a slough through the trees on each side) , one bullet, done.

I'm curious as well, what cost would interest you?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Sweet little cabin! For me, location would be everything. Meaning solitude. Away from other people for a break with nature. To be able to shoot, or catch your meals every day, priceless.
Solitude this has, the access is at the end of a dead end road, then a two track trail in across meadows and through bush for almost 1/2 mile. No cell service, only the sound of the woods.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Thank you everyone for all your replies!!!! I really appreciate it.

I asked because my wife and I loved the property Sooooo much......

WE BOUGHT IT!!!!!

We need to do some work, but we plan on being able to provide others with a unique wilderness experience.

Cheers All!!
Old 09-15-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm_boy View Post
Thank you everyone for all your replies!!!! I really appreciate it.

I asked because my wife and I loved the property Sooooo much......

WE BOUGHT IT!!!!!

We need to do some work, but we plan on being able to provide others with a unique wilderness experience.

Cheers All!!
Congrats on the purchase.

I think you are definitely going to need me to come and do a two week long cabin consultation to ensure the cabin is cozy and not neglected. I won't even charge you for my services.

Providing others a 'wilderness experience' might be challenging. Each person has their own ideals on what wilderness is. Some people just want to unwind and not do anything while others want to be active. I could see someone like an artist coming to paint uninterupted and I can see the adventurer only using the cabin to sleep. You may just have to ensure the place is comfortable and let the guests decide their own activities...within reason.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 09-15-2018 at 12:33 PM.