Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 PM

Default vizsla dogs

does anyone have a lot of experience training vizslas?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 PM

My friends recently got one, not for hunting, and had to get it out of Toronto or somewhere near there. Do you have the dog yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2018, 08:46 PM

Hunted over a couple of them years ago. Close working . Nice dogs . Short coat.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 PM

My father had a Vizsla, Easy to train , great pointer and retriever but crazy as hell. Super hyper, if you left him alone for 3 minutes he acted like you were gone a month when you came back , running in circles like mad around you. But a great hunting dog.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:50 PM

Mine was very easy to train, easiest I have had to train. But run them 10 km before you start training to increase their attention span. Very gentle dog, no aggression, but busy.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Super hyper, if you left him alone for 3 minutes he acted like you were gone a month when you came back , running in circles like mad around you. But a great hunting dog.
That sounds exactly like my Britt.

I have only seen Viszlas hunt a couple of times, but was impressed both times. You'll want to ensure that it comes from good hunting lines.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-12-2018, 09:27 AM

Default a pleasure to work with

the ones we have had here have been a lot of fun to train and watch. Kind of a classic English pointer spring to their step while working and almost a cat like response when they indicate a hiding bird getting down low and creeping to within 6 to 8 feet of a hiding bird. Love watching them and english pointers work a field. Nice size, lots of energy and cant put a pound of meat on those bones. Get control early or lose them when they learn obedience is optional.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:25 AM

I have trained a couple of Vislas for other people and in my opinion they train the same as other pointing breeds, such as Brittanies, pointers, GSP or GWP. The differences are in the individual dogs. Some pointing dogs are bold and harder headed and some are milder and more tractable. It is important to read the dog to apply suitable pressure. With patience and repetition you can train any dog to your satisfaction.