Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2017, 12:47 PM

Default Best plug in cooler

Looking for some reviews on plug in coolers. I work on the road lots and am beyond sick of eating junk or in restaurants. Would like to meal prep and freeze food for while I'm away but typically have storage issues. Any plug in cooler I've bought takes 4 hours to get semi cool then doesn't hold any chill longer than an hour after the power is off. Any one have a go to brand? Model? Size?
Old 07-16-2017, 01:04 PM

I have a mobicool, I filled it with some ice and frozen goods without running it, stayed at least partially frozen for a couple days just using as a regular cooler
Old 07-16-2017, 01:14 PM

X 2 Mobicool. Canadian Tire. It has a hard shell 17" high 12" wide
Old 07-16-2017, 02:22 PM

Arb makes a 12v fridge. They have different sizes. It's a proper fridge with a compressor and cooling. So it will keep food the same as a fridge in your house.
http://store.arbusa.com/Fridges-C11.aspx
Old 07-16-2017, 02:38 PM
Banned

https://bensdiscountsupply.com/uniqu...cu-ft-ugp-55l/
Old 07-16-2017, 04:04 PM

An Engel Fridge Freezer
www.underwaterkineticscanada.com
Old 07-16-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superuke View Post
An Engel Fridge Freezer
www.underwaterkineticscanada.com
x2! Buy once, cry once! Awesome for camping or traveling.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 PM

Default Engel unit.

Spent a month driving around South Africa with one of the Engel compressor styles in the back of a steel canopied truck. It was HOT in the canopy and the Engel would actually freeze food if you turned it up to much.
The advice was, if the truck was running you have the fridge on..about an hour before you pull in for the night, turn the temp to colder and then once you arrive and turn truck off, turn off the fridge. Food would stay cold and frozen till morning where you would reset the temp to chill and repeat. During the day, if we stopped and trekked or chilled out, we'd leave it running..more than 4 hours though I might think about not doing that. we were told that leaving it running overnight would kill your battery. Not something I wanted to test in the outback of Africa.

These fridges are used in thousands of truck campers..Engel was preferred for it's reliability and durability. I came home and priced one out..it was about a $1000 CAD and if I was in your shoes, it would be money well spent. It held enough food for the missus and me to stay off grid for 4-5 days and chill beers for the nights bbq.
One of these coupled with a propane or charcoal bbq and your life would be good!

MT35F is the one I think.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:00 AM

Default Koolatron from Costco

Got one from Costco a while back. Plugs in to a 12v cigarette lighter socket and comes with an adapter to plug in to a 110v wall outlet as well. Works pretty good. I usually plug it in the house, give it a bit to get cool, let the wife load it up and away we go. If I need to keep it cool, I'll plug it into one of the 12v sockets in the truck.

https://www.costco.ca/Koolatron%C2%A...100116126.html
Old 07-26-2017, 05:59 AM

Tropical fishing outfits have switched to Yeti.

http://intl.yeti.com/tundra
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-26-2017, 07:52 AM

Depends what you want..

I have one of those mobicool ones, and it does an ok job. although on some of the hot days it sure struggles to keep it cold. You should be noted that most of the coolers are designed to reduce the temperature compared to the atmosphere. Basically if it's 30C air, it will only reduce the temp in the cooler by 20C. Go look at the details, mobicool specifically states that it only cools to a maximum of 20C below ambient temp. While this works most of the times, it just shows the disadvantages of an electric cooler.

If it's in the budget, spend the money and get a proper 12V fridge (like ARB/engel/etc.), or just buy a good quality cooler like yeti or rtic. I know that's what I am doing.