Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 08:03 PM

Default 20 vartarg input

So here's the idea, take a CZ 527 action, spin off the 223 barrel, spin on a 20 cal barrel, cut it to a 20 vartarg. My questions are, who shoots one and how do you like it? Who has the reamer and did your job? Anyone ever built a 221/17 fireball or 20 vartarg on a 527 action? Any feeding issues? What barrel/twist rare did you run? I'm just going to guess that a standard 1:12 is what's it should be at.... any input would help!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:14 PM

My 20 vartarg is a factory Cooper, with a 1 in 12" rate of twist. While it doesn't have as large of a case capacity as other 20 caliber cartridges, it performs quite well, and the barrel heats up slower than the larger capacity cartridges.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigorgohome View Post
So here's the idea, take a CZ 527 action, spin off the 223 barrel, spin on a 20 cal barrel, cut it to a 20 vartarg. My questions are, who shoots one and how do you like it? Who has the reamer and did your job? Anyone ever built a 221/17 fireball or 20 vartarg on a 527 action? Any feeding issues? What barrel/twist rare did you run? I'm just going to guess that a standard 1:12 is what's it should be at.... any input would help!
My advice - stay away from CZ527. I've got one in 17 Hornet. The bolt's sticky, raspy, sloppy, awful. The 2 stage trigger doesn't 2 stage, and about 1 in 10 doesn't even fire. The clip slices slivers of brass off the ammo when you put the max # of rounds in it. Ejection is great as long as you hold the gun upside down to eject. Since you'll be putting your own barrel on, the poor accuracy is of no regard to you. And this is after it comes back from warranty, and the warranty depot says it's within spec. Bottom line - I paid $966 for a $250 third world gun. Don't do it. I'd give you the name of the dealer I bought it from, but I'm not finished with them yet. Hopefully they treat me better than CZ has, but its not looking good.

Get a Tikka.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 AM

Default Cz527

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
My advice - stay away from CZ527. I've got one in 17 Hornet. The bolt's sticky, raspy, sloppy, awful. The 2 stage trigger doesn't 2 stage, and about 1 in 10 doesn't even fire. The clip slices slivers of brass off the ammo when you put the max # of rounds in it. Ejection is great as long as you hold the gun upside down to eject. Since you'll be putting your own barrel on, the poor accuracy is of no regard to you. And this is after it comes back from warranty, and the warranty depot says it's within spec. Bottom line - I paid $966 for a $250 third world gun. Don't do it. I'd give you the name of the dealer I bought it from, but I'm not finished with them yet. Hopefully they treat me better than CZ has, but its not looking good.

Get a Tikka.
I currently own two CZ527 Varmints, 17REM and 204Ruger
They don't mirror any of the problems described above...very accurate out of the box, excellent 2 stage adjustable trigger... never had any feeding or ejection problems...smooth bolt... magazine feeds with no issues...
Old 02-22-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post

Get a Tikka.
I had two CZ 527 rifles, one on 223rem, and one in 17 Hornet, and I had no such issues with either rifle. Both triggers had a tiny bit of creep that was easily adjusted out. By the way, the triggers are set triggers, they are not two stage triggers
Old 02-22-2017, 07:44 AM

I don't get it. The main reason I bought this gun was because they had such great reviews - everywhere. And now there's 2 members on the forum that have good success with them as well. The owner of the shop I bought it at said my gun was definitely not up to par. And then it came back from warranty and the trigger still not working properly, trigger not even firing on occasion. Never mind that the set part of it doesn't work at all. (Thanks for the correction, Elk.)

I believe I could set most of these issues straight, provided there's an aftermarket trigger available, but a $966 gun shouldn't need that.

Sorry for the derail.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:12 AM

I don't get it. The main reason I bought this gun was because they had such great reviews - everywhere. And now there's 2 members on the forum that have good success with them as well. The owner of the shop I bought it at said my gun was definitely not up to par. And then it came back from warranty and the trigger still not working properly, trigger not even firing on occasion. Never mind that the set part of it doesn't work at all. (Thanks for the correction, Elk.)

I believe I could set most of these issues straight, provided there's an aftermarket trigger available, but a $966 gun shouldn't need that.

Sorry for the derail.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:40 AM

I am looking at doing the same thing, bought a CZ .221 to modifie, to 20 vartarg, I already have a 20 Vartarg, in a single shoot Cooper, very impressed with it. Super accurate,
Was going to take the barrel of my CZ .204, but think I will spend a bit more, and get action smoothed up, and a higher quality barrel installed. Likley std 1-12 twist, would go to a 1-10 for 20 tac/practical or .204,but don't see the point in heavy bullet is 20 vartarg, but would be nice to shoot the 39-40 gr if it's windy.

I have had five CZ 527 rifles, two shot great,one fantastic, and one .17 hornet, I bought had defective bedding job, and I got it at a greatly reduced price, half off, i bedded it and polished action, now my most accurate CZ, under inch easy, and plenty of groups a lot better.
My latest 527 in .221 I am not so impressed with, trigger isn't great and it doesn't feed very reliability, from the mag, and binds up, brass isn't sliding up under the claw, I think, am going to have to get it looked at.
While I hold CZ in high regard, they aren't a Sako, or Cooper, and are a price point built rifle, that every once in a while, isn't so good. Some may require a bit of work, to adjust trigger, bed and smooth up.
Don't think a tikka action would work very well, with a .221 case,

Last edited by southernman; 02-22-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Stupid auto correct
Old 02-22-2017, 09:45 AM

I have CZ 527 in 17 HH, 22 Hornet and 221 FB. All are box xtock from the factory. Alll shoot great and have none of the issues you do. Only thing I have done is open up the Barrel channel to get more free float relief on oen of them.

To the OP. If you can locate a CZ in 221 FB it will make a great base for a 20 Vartag conversion. Prophet River can order one in for you. If you don't start with a FB, 17 or 221 action you are likely to have both feeding and ejection issues. Not always but about 60% of the time. If I were you I would seriously consider ordering a Cooper. By the time you buy the CZ and convert it the cost will be VERY close and the Cooper will feed and function flawlessly.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:32 AM

Just so you know, there is a complete and well done 20 Practical on CGN for $1,300. (223 necked down to 20 Caliber).
Old 02-22-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have CZ 527 in 17 HH, 22 Hornet and 221 FB. All are box xtock from the factory. Alll shoot great and have none of the issues you do. Only thing I have done is open up the Barrel channel to get more free float relief on oen of them.

To the OP. If you can locate a CZ in 221 FB it will make a great base for a 20 Vartag conversion. Prophet River can order one in for you. If you don't start with a FB, 17 or 221 action you are likely to have both feeding and ejection issues. Not always but about 60% of the time. If I were you I would seriously consider ordering a Cooper. By the time you buy the CZ and convert it the cost will be VERY close and the Cooper will feed and function flawlessly.
I think gobig, is a lefty, makes his choices, much more limited,
But you are bag on, with advice for a normal human. Lol.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
I think gobig, is a lefty, makes his choices, much more limited,
But you are bag on, with advice for a normal human. Lol.
I know, I am a lefty too. Good thing is Cooper makes Lefties.

CZ only makes the 223 and 204 in LH, neither of which is a great starting block for a 20 a Vartag, though the the 223 would make a great 20 Practical.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigorgohome View Post
I currently have 3 CZ 527's Varmints that started out as 223R and just had a CZ 527 Varmint, 204R with 25 5/8" barrel, shortened to 24" and rechambered for a friend. Over the years I have had access to many CZ 527"s and only saw one in a 223 American that the stock needed bedding on. One in 17 HH that required polishing of the claw extractor so the round would feed up, under, smoothly. The triggers are easy to adjust to under 2.5#, with no creep, and the single set trigger can be set to run at 6 OZ. although it is a bit tricky. My 19 Badger had the main trigger set to 12 oz. by the master gunsmith at James Calhoun who built it for me. I do prefer the controlled round feed on this mini Mauser over any other action in a varmint rifle, and I have had Sako's and Coopers. A big plus, over Remington SA, Savage and Tikka actions is that a 24" barrel rifle is the same length as one of these in 22".

I mostly run them with a single shot follower, by Calhoun, so the not so great magazine is not a problem. However the 527's do have a clip and the 20 VT will feed, even upside down, and eject in any position in from my 223R clip. I would however suggest that my 20 EXTREME is a much better alternative as it was designed to feed from 222 and 223 (2.26" OAL) magazines and run the 39/40 grain bullets which the VT does not do too well, especially in a 12" twist barrel. If you do a build I would suggest an 11" twist or even a 9" twist, 24" barrel barrel and then you can run all 204 bullets including the 55 Berger.
This picture shows a 20 EXTREME and a 20 VT round in CZ 527 223 Magazines: