Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-20-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_rage View Post
17 Hmr who has dropped a yote with that
Dropped a big male Yote with a .17 Hmr @ 60 yards thru a bunch of trees. It was even a Savage left hand bolt. Was actually chasing a squirrel at the time when the opportunity presented itself. Normally i would use the .204 or .22 mag when targeting Yotes.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 AM

Got out today. Started off my watching one bed down over a mile away. My buddy puts a stalk on it and gets inside 100 yards and makes sure the dog stays asleep!

Lots of dry stands later and it finally calms down to almost no wind.

Calling across this frozen pond produces this guy. Comes into about 150 yards and I drop him.

Off this next weekend for a 3 day hunt in some land that has not been called before. hope to put a few down!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 AM

Default Got #2 & 3

Went out yesterday afternoon. Tried 4 stands and all were dry. But caught these 2 males driving from stand to stand! I think the area we tried calling have been called to death! [IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 AM

Best day personally with 2 in one day. Using 22-250
Old 02-20-2012, 11:38 AM

Went up to my son's place again this morning and we head to some prime coyote territory. We set up 3/4 mile apart watching coyote trails but in hind sight both of us would set up different as the coyotes where using trails that we were unaware of.
The way I was set up I blew the opportunity at 4 different singles that caught my scent. A fifth coyote came down the trail I expected and I managed to roll him. He was on the run and at the report of the 17 Fireball the coyote was sent cartwheeling. Not a good looking coyote!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 PM

Got this one today...pretty windy in my neck of the woods, so I only ended up doing 5 stands, then heading home and didnt even bother hunting the evening cause of the wind...hoping for a bit better weather next weekend.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:13 AM

Booked the day off work and got a bit of coyote hunting in before the wife and I head to the city. I was late getting to the coyote trails and only had two scruffy coyotes come my way. Shot the one @ 168 yards with the .204.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 AM

The snow and wind let up from yesterday and the temp. was -20C this morning. First stand I call in a single male and drop it at 45 yards. Went to take a picture but the camera didn't cooperate so ended up taking a pic. with my phone.

Drive 3 miles, walk in almost a half mile and call in a lone female which I let get to 60 yards. Did one more stand but nothing showed.
Time to put coyote hunting on hold and go home and snow-blow the yard out!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Default Entry #2 (Under Youth 16 Category)

I got this yote at 400 yards with the 22-250 using a Foxpro Spitfire with Lightning Jack sound! He came out within 3 minutes! He weighed in at just under 48lbs!
This is my 2nd entry for the predator contest in the youth UNDER 16 category!

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle

Last edited by trapshooter; 02-26-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:26 PM

Well, the reason I havent been posting much for yote pictures lately is that I have been giving it a full effort to get a wolf, and not really spending any time chasing yotes. Finally, today it payed off!! Forgot my snowpants and snowshoes, so it was a long, cold stalk (and then drag for over a mile to the truck), but worth every second!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Well, the reason I havent been posting much for yote pictures lately is that I have been giving it a full effort to get a wolf, and not really spending any time chasing yotes. Finally, today it payed off!! Forgot my snowpants and snowshoes, so it was a long, cold stalk (and then drag for over a mile to the truck), but worth every second!

congrats!! what a beautiful wolf!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 AM

Nice wolf, 300 Magnum! You have shoot lots of big-big coyotes but this guy dwarfs them
Old 02-27-2012, 03:39 PM

First coyote this year where I also had a camera with me. Called him in, couldn't get a shot, stalked him into a coulee, and busted him out the other side. Ran up to the top of the hill, laid down, and stopped him with a yelp. Just under 200yds, Savage 22-250, 55gr Federal Blue box ammo. Dead dog.

Attachment 47859

Last edited by KegRiver; 04-07-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Congrats, there is nothing like a wolf coming into a call...
Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 AM

Thanks guys!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM

Left work early last friday to try and wack another dog before the snow hit..
Got set up and seen two coyotes in the next quarter coming my way. There was a clump of bush between us at 422 yards. After about a minute and a half this female shows up and turns to see were her boyfriend was, turns broad side at 380 yards and the 22-250 layed her down. I noticed to my right her boyfriend running full tilt to the next quarter.. I have a feeling he will be boom shy for a while..

Old 02-29-2012, 12:34 PM

Default Photo Essay on Winter Hunting

Hi everyone, I've been contracted by Maclean's Magazine to do a photo essay on winter hunting in Canada. It will be for their special edition Winter in Canada issue.

I was wondering if the good people on this board can help me out. I would love to spend a day or two with a small hunting party and just document your day.

I hope it's appropriate to post on this forum. If not, I apologize to the moderators in advance.

I'm in Calgary right now but will also be up in Edmonton.

cheers
Jimmy Jeong
www.jimmyshoots.com

Last edited by JimmyShoots; 02-29-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added location
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyShoots View Post
Hi everyone, I've been contracted by Maclean's Magazine to do a photo essay on winter hunting in Canada. It will be for their special edition Winter in Canada issue.

I was wondering if the good people on this board can help me out. I would love to spend a day or two with a small hunting party and just document your day.

I hope it's appropriate to post on this forum. If not, I apologize to the moderators in advance.

cheers
Jimmy Jeong
www.jimmyshoots.com
What area of Canada are you in? and what area do you have access to?
Specifically Alberta? or were you thinking more Eastern Provinces.....if you want to get out for a day on the Prairies or somewhere North of Edmonton let me know via PM.

LC
Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:

ive been following this thread and i was wondering where you had got to. seemed like snowshoes was taking over. does a wolf count for more than a coyote on the scorecard? that is a beautifull wolf. congratulations.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 PM

Finally managed another today. It only took a month. When I got to him he was missing the fur on the off side rear end. What a bummer. Sorry no picture. Wife has my camera and my phone was in the Jeep. Very disappointed.
Saw lots in pairs but they were usually 2 fields over or in a field where I didn't have permission.
I did see a pile of mule deer bucks with antlers. I saw a pile of mule deer does, and a few whities with antlers. So all in all twas a good day out.

Tullfan
Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM

Default 59 & 60

I thought I was done coyote hunting for this season but talked to a farmer yesterday that thought otherwise. He has been seeing 8 -10 coyotes every morning near the feedlot and was ticked off because coyotes killed a new born calf a couple days ago.
Grabbed the 22-250 this morning and snuck in close as I dare. The wind was the wrong direction to set up where I wanted but I figured sooner or later one would come by within range. I see three head from the feedlot and then a bit later a group of six follow. The nine coyotes are headed to where normally I would set up but the wind screwed that up.
Fifteen minutes latter a scruffy looking coyote comes my way and I drop it at roughly 175 yards. The shot kicks out two more coyotes from a row of bales near the feed lot but they are soon out of sight.

On my 3/4 mile walk back to the truck I hear a group of coyotes howling nearby. They are close and with a little glassing I spot one of the group sitting on top of a dirt pile (dugout). I backtrack a bit and then follow a long washout to hide my approach. When I get near the dugout I see the coyote is no longer on the dirt pile so I set the e-caller 60 yards away and sit down with some buck brush at my back. Didn't take many howls before a big male was back on top the dirt pile. A 125 yard shot tumbles the coyote but it still managed to get just into the bush before piling up. The foxbang kicks in with pup yelps and I see another coyote coming through the trees only to spin around after spotting the one I just shot. The 55 gr Nosler BT's did scatter a fair bit of fur across the snow in both cases.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:23 PM

Default sold my fur today

i sold the 6 prime coyote furs today to a fur buyer today, got 50 dollars a pelt i had 5 heavy and 1 semi-heavy. and he said i would have gotten more if they werent as dark coloured as they were. so for those of you who say there isnt any money in it... i bought a new scope (simmons predatore quest 4.5x18) and shot all the bullets i wanted for free (federal 90gr. PSP), and i paid for it doing something i love, and i have extra bullets for next year. wont have trouble talking my buddies into keeping pelts next eyar, thats for sure.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM

Back to the feedlot this morning and spooked 2 coyotes on my walk in. Glassed the area and seen 2 different coyotes already a half mile away slowly making their way back to the bush. Some more glassing revealed 3 much closer coyotes in the coulee hills. I drop down into the creek channel and work my way towards them. The next time I see the 3 coyotes, they too are working their way back to the bush and it's now or never for a shot. The range finder says 376 yards, zoom the scope up to 20X, compensate a bit on the 350 yard reticle hash mark and send a bullet on it's way. At the report of the 204R the coyote folds, one of the others runs a few yards and stops, another round is chamber but this time I shot over. I look over and see the first coyote now up and trying to make an escape, the coyote goes over a knoll before I can get a shot off. Some quick walking through a draw brings me to where I figured the coyote should be but he was out further than I expected. The range finder reads 349 yards and the next shot puts the coyote down for good.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoes View Post
Back to the feedlot this morning and spooked 2 coyotes on my walk in. Glassed the area and seen 2 different coyotes already a half mile away slowly making their way back to the bush. Some more glassing revealed 3 much closer coyotes in the coulee hills. I drop down into the creek channel and work my way towards them. The next time I see the 3 coyotes, they too are working their way back to the bush and it's now or never for a shot. The range finder says 376 yards, zoom the scope up to 20X, compensate a bit on the 350 yard reticle hash mark and send a bullet on it's way. At the report of the 204R the coyote folds, one of the others runs a few yards and stops, another round is chamber but this time I shot over. I look over and see the first coyote now up and trying to make an escape, the coyote goes over a knoll before I can get a shot off. Some quick walking through a draw brings me to where I figured the coyote should be but he was out further than I expected. The range finder reads 349 yards and the next shot puts the coyote down for good.

Man are you still punching those things......Congrats.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Default Yote#12

Went out today and tried calling, but no luck. The coyotes are getting pretty thin in my area. Decided to go for a walk and spotted this guy heading North and away from me, so I used the sun and wind to my advantage and managed to catch up to him. The wind was blowing fairly brisk so I compensated for about 3"s windage and guessed he was at about 300 yards. Everything ended up spot on because he dropped on the spot. Walked out to it at 310 paces and by the time I reached him the ravens were circling above my head.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:17 AM

Last one of the season, Called this guy to 210 yards and that's when it decided to sit down. I figured the coyote is already sitting and the .204 would just give it a little help laying down.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Default Yotes 13,14 & 15

The first two were in the neighbors field when I headed out today. So I took aim at the furthest one and pulled the trigger and layed the female down. The male took off and ran 100 or so more yards and stopped as soon as coyote distress was started and he came back to see what happened. He never got a chance to figure it out. I walked out and picked them up and it was a workout in the mud, but worth it. The third one was caught a little later in the day and was alot closer and in stubble which made it easier to retrieve.
Not sure why it posting picture upside down.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Here is a better picture of the third yote from the earlier post. Apologize for the upside down pic.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:57 AM

Default First Blood

My wife laid out her first critter the other day with her new rifle, and the first blood for it also.
Ruger M77 ss 260 Rem, this fella didn't like a federal 120gr nosler ballistic tip just inside of 400 yards.
I taught her well

Old 03-17-2012, 09:20 PM

Been crazy busy with work this past year. I've gone through two "meatsickles" but the buggers are only coming in at night except for this one. He showed up right at "day break" this morning so I figured I better take a pic and get on the board. Laid prone on the deck and sent a 35 gr berger ~275 yds into the boiler room and DRT. The 35 gr bergers rarely exit but this time it did with an exit hole about the size of a quarter.

Aim Small Miss Small