Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2011, 10:45 AM

Default what licence to buy or wait for harper ???

need to buy a 22 cal. what do i have to get lic.wise...or should i wait for harper"s promise..thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 AM

you need a pal,harpers promise to remove the reg has nothing to do with licensing.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 AM

still need the PAL , Harpers promise is only to get rid of the registry of long guns , not the licensing of people to own them
Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin View Post
you need a pal,harpers promise to remove the reg has nothing to do with licensing.
You need to earn the right through passing an exam and then pay for a non restricted firearms license... at a minimum.
The long gun registry is a side issue.
Granted... it might be easier to get a 22 under the table if it is lifted but I suspect the hunt for unlicensed people with firearms and the sentences if they are caught/convicted will both be upped to discourage that.

Here is a link to help you get started.

http://www.firearmscanada.com/canadi...y_courses.html

Good Luck.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Get an rpal, then you can pick up a restricted when the mood strikes.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-14-2011, 11:51 AM

As everyone else has already noted, the Conservative's promise to repeal the gun registry has nothing whatsoever to do with repealing a license requirement; that will remain. I think it is this common misconception that has so many firearms haters all riled up; what bugs me is that these uninformed people actually go out and vote with their completely wrong perspectives.

You will need a Posession & Acquisition License to legally get a firearm. To sell one to another person privately (and legally) you will have to check that they have a license, but nobody will have to phone the government to notify of the sale. Compare it to selling liquor or cigarettes; you need to check ID to prove proper age, but the sale doesn't need any other government paperwork. Sell smokes or booze to a kid underage and you can be charged, same goes with transferring a firearm to someone unlicensed after the registry is dead.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
As everyone else has already noted, the Conservative's promise to repeal the gun registry has nothing whatsoever to do with repealing a license requirement; that will remain. I think it is this common misconception that has so many firearms haters all riled up; what bugs me is that these uninformed people actually go out and vote with their completely wrong perspectives.

You will need a Posession & Acquisition License to legally get a firearm. To sell one to another person privately (and legally) you will have to check that they have a license, but nobody will have to phone the government to notify of the sale. Compare it to selling liquor or cigarettes; you need to check ID to prove proper age, but the sale doesn't need any other government paperwork. Sell smokes or booze to a kid underage and you can be charged, same goes with transferring a firearm to someone unlicensed after the registry is dead.
thanks very much for all the info..
Old 08-14-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
As everyone else has already noted, the Conservative's promise to repeal the gun registry has nothing whatsoever to do with repealing a license requirement; that will remain. I think it is this common misconception that has so many firearms haters all riled up; what bugs me is that these uninformed people actually go out and vote with their completely wrong perspectives
It's misconceptions like this that make wonder how so many people are getting PALs, without even knowing the difference between the licensing of people, and the registration system. Are these basic concepts not being taught in the courses, or are people just not paying attention.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Are these basic concepts not being taught in the courses, or are people just not paying attention.
They pay attention just long enough to get the licence, then it's all out the window. Same as people pay attention to drivers licence instruction courses and testing as is commonly indicated by the thousands of licenced idiots driving on our highways.