Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 PM

Question Is this true??

So today I heard a rumor from a pretty trustworthy guy that in the next 1-3 years they will outlawing two-stroke outboards in Alberta, I dont have any details beyond that, but Im just curious if other people have heard the same thing. If people have heard it, has anyone heard it from some sort of official source?? This seems absolutely ridiculous considering the number of people with two stroke motors... the money that citizens would lose having to essentially throw out their old outboards and replacing them with shiny new fourstrokes... not to mention you would have a ton of old outboards that would have to be disposed of... im having a hard time wrapping my head around it...

I dunno.. what do the good people of AO think?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 PM

I believe it will be the new sale of 2 stroke out boards that fail to meet new emmisions standards. Kind of like the new diesels, they will need a bunch of crap to make them meet emissions. I see it as a way of banning them with out actually banning them. Having to add emmisions controls will reduce power and up the price, too i dont know, maybe the price of a 4 stroke, so why even make them anymore if they are the same price
Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I believe it will be the new sale of 2 stroke out boards that fail to meet new emmisions standards. Kind of like the new diesels, they will need a bunch of crap to make them meet emissions. I see it as a way of banning them with out actually banning them. Having to add emmisions controls will reduce power and up the price, too i dont know, maybe the price of a 4 stroke, so why even make them anymore if they are the same price
Can you see them outlawing the use of 2-strokes that people already own?? Im looking at buying a 14ft aluminum right now and an older, used, two stroke fits my price range better than a 4-stroke..

Just curious...
Old 08-12-2011, 09:53 PM

If it is true, it will mean that any new motors will have to exclude 2 stroke. They wouldn't just outlaw 2 strokes although some of the older wore out ones could be outlawed in someway, maybe. If the manufacturers made just 4 strokes the price would drop also, less models cost less to make, something the NA auto industry found out.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Its like cats on a car, back in the day you didnt need them. those vehicals today still are not required to have them because it wasnt factory. They cant ban a classic car because it doesnt have cats on it. But, if you hack the cats off a newer vehical, thats illegal
Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Banned

It would be no great surprise to see the sale of 2 strokes completely stopped; that is the case in the States already.

If you want to read the long version of the regulations, even though they don't appear to specifically say the word "2 stroke", it is clear that if a marine motor does not meet U.S. EPA standards, it won't be allowed to be sold.

The rumor is true.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 PM

I seen this on TV maybe 5 years ago on a fishing show. apperantly 5 years ago mercuray was the only one that could build a 2 stroke that could acctually meet the emissions sandards they were proposing (spelling?, doesnt look right to me lol)
Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 PM

Angry

grand father rules ,,,well remain,,,i hope
Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 PM

I was told this about 8 years ago, that the government was working towards it, but yes, grandfathering the already in- service motors, sort of like trikes.
Cat
Old 08-13-2011, 04:43 AM

They can't ban the using of or selling a used 2 stroke but I can see the ban on new 2 strokes from the manufacture. Better buy a couple of cases of oil now. Ice augers too???? hmmmm.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:39 AM

You can't buy a new 2 stroke motor anymore already ,with the exception of the Evinrude/Johnson Etec motors wich i believe are only available as small as 20hp.Everyone else is only making 4stroke. They haven't banned 2 strokes ,they just set the emission standards very high and made them near impossible to meet so manufacturers are forced to build only 4 stroke.Evinrude/Johnson meets the standards with the Etec motors but they are pricey.
It's the same with sleds,all the manufactures are clamouring to make an efficient 2 stroke that can meet the ever tightening emission standards.or build a 4 stroke that can perform and be light weight at the same time like a 2 stroke.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 AM

Mercury still builds 2 strokes, Optimax motors are 2 strokes.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:05 AM

I stand corrected
Old 08-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Cool

Thanks for the info guys... sounds like I would be safe buying a used two-stroke without having to worry about them outlawing them in the near future...
Old 08-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Default 4 strk...catalitic convertor

Actually 4 strks as you know them will be obsolete .....

In 2014 catalitic convertors will have to be added to

to 4 strls ....a 25 HP Merc 4 strk should weigh in at about 400 lbs...
Old 08-13-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Actually 4 strks as you know them will be obsolete .....

In 2014 catalitic convertors will have to be added to

to 4 strls ....a 25 HP Merc 4 strk should weigh in at about 400 lbs...
OH my gawdddddd. 400lbs?!?!?!?! thats insane..

It makes you wonder...all these new policies meant to protect the enviroment.. how much are they really doing???? a motor that weighs 400lbs is going to take alot more raw material to build, which in theory means more waste/manufacturing emissions...we would probably be better off sticking with 2 strokes....

Does it all add up??? I guess thats food for a whole new thread.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post

It makes you wonder...all these new policies meant to protect the enviroment.. how much are they really doing???? a motor that weighs 400lbs is going to take alot more raw material to build, which in theory means more waste/manufacturing emissions...we would probably be better off sticking with 2 strokes....

I think Winch101 is "stroking" you.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I think Winch101 is "stroking" you.
That would make alot more sense than a 400lb 25hp
Old 08-13-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
They can't ban the using of or selling a used 2 stroke but I can see the ban on new 2 strokes from the manufacture. Better buy a couple of cases of oil now. Ice augers too???? hmmmm.
Or grass trimmers, chainsaws, etc. etc.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:16 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post

Its the new way of stimulating the economy.....make people open up there wallets and buy new disposable junk...for way more money
Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 PM

Considering that the Merc Opti Pro XS has as good better emissions rating than most four strokes it wouldn't make much sense to ban two strokes. The high pressure direct injection two strokes are no where near the same as as the old carburated two strokes.