Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Banned

Money can't buy happiness .............. Respect your elders
Old 08-11-2011, 06:48 PM

The word "Great" used in a sentence or conversation instead of "thank you or you're welcome".
Old 08-11-2011, 06:53 PM

Man shot in north end! Which body part is the north end?
A shooting in the north end of town resulted in a man being wounded in the (insert body part)!

Drug as in "I drug the deer out of the bush!" It doesn't matter who says it or how many times it is said in that context, IT'S WRONG! The word has always been dragged and will always be dragged!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Thank you very much! No problem!

Whatever happened to "You're welcome"?

When I hear someone saying "No problem" it infers that they are not thankful for my business, help, tip. I find myself thinking that it was a "problem' to serve me, help me, etc.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM

For me it's:

'Like', like when did like this word like become so like popular.
'revisit', we'll need to revisit that later.
and being called 'dude'.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 08-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
Thank you very much! No problem!

Whatever happened to "You're welcome"?

When I hear someone saying "No problem" it infers that they are not thankful for my business, help, tip. I find myself thinking that it was a "problem' to serve me, help me, etc.
I am guilty of this I admit it...sometimes I also say "no worries"....after you point this out I will use the "your welcome" as it is not as common a phrase as it used to be.

LC
Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 PM

everytime i here some idiot on tv utter the phrase oooo ma god, or ooooo....myyyyygod I wanna crawl right in that thing and slap em

I mean like oh my god shut up with that phrase already....gaaaaaaaad.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 PM

thought of a third one: as per
Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 PM

oh ya and when I order a diet Coke the waitress will always say " is diet Pepsi ok?" unless I ask for diet Pepsi then they say" is diet Coke ok?" and if I get really clever and ask for a diet cola product ,that's never good enough either,cuz they need to hear or say that brand name.

Personally i don't care what brand it is your particlar reastaurannt is forced to serve , just bring me a a diet cola of some sort

..... okay I'm done now ....
Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 PM

Not sure if it's just me, but the word "fathom" seems to be coming up a lot lately and I just remembered how much I hate it!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
One I really hate is on my day off the wife stands in front of me,hands on hips and asks(in THAT tone) "So,what are your plans today?"
That really means "Your plans better include working your ass off around here.The list is on the table,get it done and last hour of daylight is all yours"
ya that would happen once , my wife doesn't gives me a list, she already knows that those are jobs that will never ever be done....ever lol
Old 08-11-2011, 09:49 PM

"Momentarily" means "for a moment" not "in a moment". The guy on the radio says he'll will be back on momentarily. Huh?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 PM

Canadian Goose instead of Canada Goose. And prostrate instead of prostate. One means to lie face down, the other, well we all know it's not that.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
What`s wrong with Redneck?My brother in law just spent 4 hours fixing my siezed up brakes on my Rhino for free.His nickname is Redneck,a Medicine Hat farmer boy,with a red neck and a great mechanical ability.Only guys who don`t like the handle are guys who never could be a true redneck.
Maybe we could call them pink necks.
Fisherpeak, I think you may have stumbled on to a new term for the metrosexual crowd of men.

A pink neck could be some guy just had his facial and manicure and stepped out of the steambath at "the club".
Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 PM

If i hear one more person from the eastern maffia in fort mac say " it is what it is". Someones gunna die
Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 PM

The words "We're out of rum" make my nose wrinkle up like a raisin. Favorite new word, "Smatterchew?"
Old 08-11-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter
shedule. The word is schedule, pronounced sKedule. Did you go to shool or school?
The pronunciation thing that gets me is aunt. Unless your aunt happens to have six legs, the word is aunt, pronounces aUnt. Is it currently Agust or august?

The off hand saying that makes me grit my teeth is: You betcha.
Especially when its drawn out, "Youuuu betchaaaa."

Last edited by Miles1996; 08-11-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-11-2011, 11:10 PM

" IT IS WHAT IT IS " I hear this one at work too often!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:47 PM

You never ever knowwwwwwwwww
Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Canadian Goose instead of Canada Goose. And prostrate instead of prostate. One means to lie face down, the other, well we all know it's not that.
I get this confused all the time! When the doc says assume a prostrate pos. I'm going to check your postate, it gets muddy fast. As in confusing, muddy.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 AM

Overly intimate terms from a stranger: bro, buddy, etc.

When younger women/girls say honey; I imagine they think it makes them sound worldly, when they actually sound like a total (rather than partial) prostitute.

Hey you!

Any word improperly used. One that seems to coming back is salient; meaning concise, easy to understand. During a disagreement an arguee is telling the other that his points are salient. Obviously not, and maybe a little insulting.

Minute of deer, paper plate, coyote, barn door, etc. I've heard them all, and whatever the variation is that you have just thought up, I've heard it. I've been a gun nut for close to a quarter century now and after the first 5000 times it's not original anymore. Pick a new one already!

And that brings me to minute of angle, or MOA. A measure of rotational change, like a degree. Don't act like you know what it is, if you don't. Hint: a 2 inch group at 200 yards is not 2 minutes!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
shedule. The word is schedule, pronounced sKedule. Did you go to shool or school?

It is what it is!
off topic:
The Vowel "E" after a Consonant cluster (I.E SCH in schedule) creates an elongation of the consonants sound.

In your example of school the Vowel "O" does the opposite and shortens the consonants sound, therefore the correct pronunciations are:

school = skool

schedule = shed-yule

on topic:
My hated word is "Epic" - I swear the next 16-25 year old Hipster doofus in tight black jeans and blue streaked hair, with a half shaved head and facial peircings with his earlobes streched out that says "epic" anywhere near me is going to get hurt.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Any word improperly used. One that seems to coming back is salient; meaning concise, easy to understand. During a disagreement an arguee is telling the other that his points are salient. Obviously not, and maybe a little insulting.
I've never heard anyone say (nor seen in any dictionary) that "salient" meant concise, easy to understand. Not sure where you are getting that one from. It usually means that something is prominent, striking, conspicuous. Some sources also define it as pertinent or relevant. So an "arguee" could indeed claim that a point is salient to his argument.

Quote:
And that brings me to minute of angle, or MOA. A measure of rotational change, like a degree. Don't act like you know what it is, if you don't. Hint: a 2 inch group at 200 yards is not 2 minutes!
And you believe that is is 1 minute? Come on, do the math. LOL

Just yanking your chain man.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Drive safe.

How about drive safely?

Isn't drive a verb?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:34 PM

24/7. I hate that. As if someone really WANTS you to call them at 3:15 on a Sunday morning.
Closure. What the h*** did people do before someone came up with that???
And this really gets my proverbial goat. Newscasters, especially, who insist on abbreviating everything. Traffic gal says Crow instead of Crowchild Trail and the sports guy says "sched" instead of "schedule". In fact, just listen to some of those high-paid talking heads on the morning show stumble over their lines and use poor grammar...I won't name names but maybe they should get a pair of GLASSES so they can read the bloody TELEPROMPTER!!!
OK...I think I am done for now.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Banned

I usually use the phrase "cheers mate"..I'm not being facetious, just trying to be friendly!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've never heard anyone say (nor seen in any dictionary) that "salient" meant concise, easy to understand. Not sure where you are getting that one from. It usually means that something is prominent, striking, conspicuous. Some sources also define it as pertinent or relevant. So an "arguee" could indeed claim that a point is salient to his argument.
Yes you are right in the definition. I think I kind of messed it up a little, but it could be argued that something obvious is easily defined.

Quote:
And you believe that is is 1 minute? Come on, do the math. LOL

Just yanking your chain man.
[QUOTE]

Not exactly!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 PM

How about "suspect" or better yet "alleged suspect" when about 3000 people witnessed it and caught the "suspect" on the scene!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Overly intimate terms from a stranger: bro, buddy, etc.
"Buddy","Pal" etc. coming from a male stranger was once a sarcastic challenge or warning that things may soon turn ugly. I still anticipate violence when someone I don't know uses these terms with me.

Last edited by uglyelk; 08-12-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 PM

"Vanishing habitat". The term is most often used by those living on the vanished turf. BTW it did not vanish it changed. It changed becauses you now live on it.

Last edited by uglyelk; 08-12-2011 at 08:37 PM.