Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 01:05 PM

Default Help! Camper Jack question

Ok all you seasoned vets out there who have seen it all and done it all, I really need your help on this one.

I just bought an older camper that has removeable jacks. 1 out of the original 4 is broken so he has provided me with a 2 different jacks that I can use for the back. I like them except for the fact I can't figure them out exactly.

I have attached some pictures for you to look at and try to explain how this mechanism works. I'm thinking it is similar to a jackall or something. I don't have a lever or bar that must be required for it and would make one or buy one if I could understand how it would work. Please give me your best explanation or some ideas one what I can do.

Thanks for the ehlp!

If you lift on the top pole, the lower (inside pole with the teeth) automatically come down. If you push on the triangle with the spring, the top pole will move down.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

I had these jacks on my camper. There is a handle that is required. It has a snap fixture that clips into the top post (horizontal) and then a welded thin arm that fits into the square slots below. As you jack the unit up the arm with the spring (shown in your pic) clics into the slots, and so on up to the height you want.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I had these jacks on my camper. There is a handle that is required. It has a snap fixture that clips into the top post (horizontal) and then a welded thin arm that fits into the square slots below. As you jack the unit up the arm with the spring (shown in your pic) clics into the slots, and so on up to the height you want.
Have you ever seen the handles in a store or shop for sale by chance or are they rare? also, if a guy had access to the basic welders, grinders, and saw do you think a handle could be made.

i pretty much just need a drawing, dimesnions or a prototype. can anyone provide one?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 AM

Anyone out there have any more information?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:02 AM

Looks to be a dangerous mechanical type that went extinct. Becarfull with it after you get it figured out. Bobalong has it right. Maybe he could draw you a picture of the handle. Try doing a google search.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:50 AM

GOOGLE man maybe you can find a manufaturers name on it some where? but google might be able to find you some diagrams or parts or hell some guy on you-tube prob has a video of litfing a house with them lol.

Good luck and have fun with the camper. The wife and I bought 1 in 09 and she/we love it.

Matt
Old 08-13-2011, 12:31 PM

Wow, those things look pretty sketchy, and are antiques for a reason! I've got a 74 vangaurd 10.5 foot weighing in at about 2300 pounds, and get nervous when it's high enough to slide my big old dodge under! Try the buy and sell forums, I usually see used hydrolic jacks on there for sale, but expect to pay between $100 and $150 per jack. for the cost it might be a better alternative than trying to fab something for a jack that may or not work, or may not be safe. Just my 2 cents!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 AM

I hope this works. I think this is the jack you have.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3788604.html
click on the link to view pdf.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 AM

Default junk

get a set up hydraulic jacks. these things are suicide...just as dangerous as a jackall. believe me hahaha

Old 08-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
I hope this works. I think this is the jack you have.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3788604.html
click on the link to view pdf.
wow, impressive find! by the looks of it i may be in the market to find a better jack. i'm not sure if i will be building on of those handles very easily. Plus, it seems the general consenses is that they are pretty dangerous as well. the other 3 which are of a different design work well,it's just the one. thanks for the feedback and help