Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Banned

Default Barfy Beagle dog/vet advice

So I've been dog sitting my sisters 13 year old Beagle that got a bug last Wednesday a day after getting her distemper shots which coincided with being after a dog having just being treated for severe diarhia (<?). Thursday a little pukey but dog like, Friday Saturday and Sunday nothing and then this afternoon a bit and right now more vomit than normal and just this eve on the day my sister gets back I've been sticking around helping her clean up more puke than I could pass and I'm a bigger fellow.

Quease time; I can deal with blood and crap and guts but not snot and vomit (neither here nor there). The puke was brown and now it's more like thick urine, egg white consistency, her eyes are cloudy or weepy. Her breathing is a bit heavy as expected with a toddler sized body that has passed a gallon of moisture. I grew up with dogs so it's not a new thing dealing with the critters when they get sick but this is A LOT of puke.

Selfish time,,, I've been working all day and fudging about on AO and would prefer not drive DT to the emergency vet. Googling lead me to garbage gut and it recommended Pepto Bismal, she loves banana but she won't eat it with the bismal (a hounds nose I suspect), butter taffy (though she wouldn't know what it is) is not working either, she's puking outside now. She shatt yesterday but I don't know if it was a fluke.

Not sure what to do but feel like puking myself.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Banned

i suspect the thin yellowy puke is just bile and stomach acid.
Doggy dry heaves.

I've given my dogs gravol in the past but the dosage is tricky. I think I found the info I needed online.
Will it take water?
I had to feed one of mine water with a syringe once....poor devil was so sick.

Co-incidentally I have 3 senior mutts that all came down with some bug on the weekend and now I'm juggling between cleaning poop and pricing out carpet cleaners.

I hope this passes soon or I might have to drop by Home Depot for some corks...

Good Luck
Old 08-09-2011, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
i suspect the thin yellowy puke is just bile and stomach acid.
Doggy dry heaves.

I've given my dogs gravol in the past but the dosage is tricky. I think I found the info I needed online.
Will it take water?
I had to feed one of mine water with a syringe once....poor devil was so sick.

Co-incidentally I have 3 senior mutts that all came down with some bug on the weekend and now I'm juggling between cleaning poop and pricing out carpet cleaners.

I hope this passes soon or I might have to drop by Home Depot for some corks...

Good Luck
water aint going in and she hasn't gone to her night bed (odd if you knew her), I think her time is near or she's dry heave-exhausted,, it's going to be a long night.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 AM

Get the dog to a vet. Plain and simple. Dont think anybody on here is going to fix it for you.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

Are you in Edmonton?

There is a 24 hour Vet hospital here.

Here is the link maybe give them a call...they have after hours emergency numbers and it doesn't sound good.

http://www.animalemergency.ca/

or

http://www.edmontonvetemergency.com/

Hope it works out OK...
Old 08-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Banned

Sister just took her down to emergency, as she got suspect and wouldn't get in the car with me and wouldn't let me touch her.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:11 AM

Yep, vet is way to go if it's not getting better.

For pepto use the pills not the liquid and stuff it in some cheese. Our old dog was amazing at eatting the treat and spitting the pill but squeeze it in cheese and it worked.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Banned

Actually lost sleep over this last night...

Hows the pooch doing?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 PM

Is that the only vaccine she was given or did she get all her shots boosted?

I had a cat who could get all her shots at once just fine, then once she got elderly she started having reactions to them and she would have to get either a benadryl shot with them or have her vaccines spaced out and given one at a time.

I personally do not like giving many vaccines all at one time. That is a lot for a dog or even a person to fight off and have their immune system working overtime to sort out.

Could it of had something to do with the dog that was at the vet before her? Maybe, maybe not. Most vets if they suspect something terribly contagious will make you use the back door or come after hours, and should always clean the examination table and hands etc with a disinfectant.

I don't want to to say don't vaccinate the dog any longer but you do need to discuss the possibility that this was a reaction to the vaccines and possibly modify her vaccination schedule down the road. I ended up not vaccinating my cat a couple years after she got so sick the one time, however she is now 19 and strictly an indoor house cat.

Hope the dog is okay.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

She was examined late last night and then spent today at her regular vet getting an IV and some bloodwork done,, she's having standing problems like she just came off a carousel but her overall demeanor is back to being an arrogant hound (I now understand Peanuts cartoon strips with Snoopy better since knowing her). I though our Border Collies were smart doing level 5 Soduko but this Beagle (first one I've got to know) plans stuff,, one day she wated to hop up on her chair which is an old slippery leather one and there was a blanket on it and she pulled the blanket over to the arm then hopped up, which made sense as if she hadn't moved it she would have slipped back and fallen. anyways, an extra night again of watching over her, and we have figured out how to get her medicine in without fighting.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:11 PM

stick meds in a cheese ball
Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
stick meds in a cheese ball
Not a good idea table cheese is not good for dogs to much salt and to much oil
especially if the dog is having stomach or bowel problem
Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 PM

Default oral medications

If the dog is vomiting, you will not be sure that any medication given orally will get absorbed properly. Therefore, they may not be of any benefit.

Good luck, sounds like things are going the right way.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
She was examined late last night and then spent today at her regular vet getting an IV and some bloodwork done,, she's having standing problems like she just came off a carousel but her overall demeanor is back to being an arrogant hound (I now understand Peanuts cartoon strips with Snoopy better since knowing her). I though our Border Collies were smart doing level 5 Soduko but this Beagle (first one I've got to know) plans stuff,, one day she wated to hop up on her chair which is an old slippery leather one and there was a blanket on it and she pulled the blanket over to the arm then hopped up, which made sense as if she hadn't moved it she would have slipped back and fallen. anyways, an extra night again of watching over her, and we have figured out how to get her medicine in without fighting.
I crush my dogs meds into a wee bit of peanut butter. It doesn't take much and every dog I've had... couldn't resist the stuff
Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 AM

Just curious GM, who is your vet?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Just curious GM, who is your vet?
She's not my dog, I'm just surrogate family to her on a now extended dog sitting, not sure who the vet is by name,, she's in having dialysis (<sp?) right now and the phone just rang. Yesterday, her bloodwork showed slow liver and kidney failure.

My position now is to be here for the sit down talk should things not look so good. I did a pretty good pre-talk with my sister. There is a cat also in the home and for the most part, the dog and cat act like enemies in public for public image sake but sleep together at night and for afternoon naps. The cat has been caught pushing leftovers onto the floor for the dog and was once caught pulling pizza out of a closed toaster oven for a mutual snack,, they collude on many food pilferings and have both managed to get the pantry and fridge door open.

When the dog took ill the cat sat and watched her as opposed to wandering off like she normally does, she's close by to her canine sibling. I'm not sure how one consoles a cat, the cat was found in a field as a dumped blind kitten a few days after the dog came home,,, I know that may read odd but I can talk my sister through this but not the feline.

Only just this year did they start spraying pesticide on an adjacent hill where she's walked,,, we're looking for all possible reasons that she's gone from really healthy to violently ill.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Sorry to hear about the beagle. Over the years we've had a few pets both cats and dogs with renal failure. It was never good. After dealing with it if I had an animal with renal failure today I would put it to sleep ASAP.

IMHO a good vet would not prolong the inevitable. We've been there only to wind up with a dog in excruciating pain in the middle of the night with emergency vet a couple hours away from his office.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Banned

She's off to the emergency hospital now,,, the dialysis only incited more vomitting.

My sister makes good money but I'm about to do the sit down of "Money is not buying the dog comfort, only prolonging the pain " and without being nasty "the money is buying you the comfort of not dealing the inevitability of loss of a family member". Just writing it here is helping me deal with the situation.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Im no vet but it sounds like the dog has parvo, if so make sure any other dogs around dont use the same toys ,water bowls etc. Its a nasty disease.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:24 AM

Parvo usually always causes extreme diarrhea in addition to vomiting. Vets are very familiar with Parvo and would of tested her if that is what they thought it was. If you keep your dogs Parvo vaccines up to date the risk of catching it is extremely low.

As for the kidney failure, well the dog is 13 so some loss of function is to be expected, add that to being under the weather as well.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
She's not my dog, I'm just surrogate family to her on a now extended dog sitting, not sure who the vet is by name,, she's in having dialysis (<sp?) right now and the phone just rang. Yesterday, her bloodwork showed slow liver and kidney failure.

My position now is to be here for the sit down talk should things not look so good. I did a pretty good pre-talk with my sister. There is a cat also in the home and for the most part, the dog and cat act like enemies in public for public image sake but sleep together at night and for afternoon naps. The cat has been caught pushing leftovers onto the floor for the dog and was once caught pulling pizza out of a closed toaster oven for a mutual snack,, they collude on many food pilferings and have both managed to get the pantry and fridge door open.

When the dog took ill the cat sat and watched her as opposed to wandering off like she normally does, she's close by to her canine sibling. I'm not sure how one consoles a cat, the cat was found in a field as a dumped blind kitten a few days after the dog came home,,, I know that may read odd but I can talk my sister through this but not the feline.

Only just this year did they start spraying pesticide on an adjacent hill where she's walked,,, we're looking for all possible reasons that she's gone from really healthy to violently ill.
Quote:

Sorry to hear that she's no better.

It's funny the stuff you pick up over your lifetime.
Not sure this will be useful to you under the circumstances but here goes.

You mention pesticides.
I happen still hold 3 pest control applicator licenses...

When we look at toxicity in chemicals like pesticides we refer to something called the LD50.
This is the minimum lethal dose that is expected to kill 50% of the time.

The testing for many pesticides but primarily insecticides is done on dogs.
And in particular beagles... because they seem to be especially susceptible to harmful effects.

IOW if the dog was exposed to commercial grade insecticides it would likely be biologically more predisposed to experience harmful effects even if other animals and people were not affected.

Do you know what product they were spraying?
The area should have been signed as it is required by law if done in a public space.

Most insecticides are nerve agents and tend to effect nervous function by interupting synapse or communication between nerve cells.

The liver and kidney problems sound more like organ failures related to another serious illness or ingestion of an anticoagulant rodenticide.

Simple herbicides are usually not very toxic to mammals at all.
Especially now that most of the baddies are completely banned.

Best wishes.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned

Just got the call, and she'll probably get put down today.

it's a good thing,,, she can't retain anything and she can't stand.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

Well 5 hour's in the hospital and my sister opted for meds and keeping the ol'gal going despite her dogs absolute misery. I'm no longer welcome in my opinion on the matter,,

so, flame me if you will;

SOME PEOPLE SHOULD NOT ALLOWED TO BE DOG OWNERS,,, the size of their income or neighbourhood or anything of the like should not dictate by any stretch that they are sane owners. A dog can't tell you that it is miserable beyond miserable with illness, her dog can't stand without help so a second opinion from a professional and the dog is going to suffer from here on in until my sister thinks she's strong enough to cope with her dogs inevitable death, and a miserable, miserable death at that. When that time comes, I will do everything in my power to stop her from buying a new Beagle to help her deal with her misery. Am I being insensitive?

Furious

And I love the critters, really do but this is truly torture.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 PM

Sorry to hear it's turning out this way....

I kept my dog for 6 months after she was diagnosed with cancer, but I knew when it was time.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Banned

The 1st stage of grief is denial she'll probably come to terms with it soon enough and finally accept that it is time for a final act of kindness.

We had to put one down a few years ago... and it wasn't easy...especially for my wife and kids.

Pets... they give and teach you all sorts of things... right to the end when in the final lesson they teach you is how to deal with loss and grief.

Wish this had turned out better.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 AM

My input to the issue was the cobination of the vaccination, diarrhea and the dogs age - system overload.
Over vaccination leads to health problems on its own. It makes owners feel good that they are doing the right thing annual check-ups & needles.
Our first dog became very ill after vaccines. A hard lesson learned about vaccines and immune systems. Now, our dogs got their shots for the first year -after that nothing. They are house dogs, fenced yard, walked twice a day and are well socialized.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damowers View Post
My input to the issue was the cobination of the vaccination, diarrhea and the dogs age - system overload.
Over vaccination leads to health problems on its own. It makes owners feel good that they are doing the right thing annual check-ups & needles.
Our first dog became very ill after vaccines. A hard lesson learned about vaccines and immune systems. Now, our dogs got their shots for the first year -after that nothing. They are house dogs, fenced yard, walked twice a day and are well socialized.
Thats all good and fine but for people who need to kennel their dog,doggie day care or even get them groomed need to have their shots up to date and show proof before the dog gets in.
Without up to date shots your are out of luck at alot of these places.....
Old 08-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Thats all good and fine but for people who need to kennel their dog,doggie day care or even get them groomed need to have their shots up to date and show proof before the dog gets in.
Without up to date shots your are out of luck at alot of these places.....
x2

By doing this you are increasing the risk to everyone elses pet while taking advantage of the protection your own dogs get because your neighbours immunize theirs annually. Immunizations work best when the community participates. IOW you are better off not immunized in a community that is... than immunized in a community that is not.

Though I do agree that with older and infirm dogs or people for that matter... the immunizations should be spaced out. Even though they do not give you the actual active disease... they do elicit an immune response that can wear down an animal and make them more susceptible to an opportunistic infection or exacerbate a pre-existing condition.