Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Default Police shoots at two retreivers?

Anybody know more about this?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...485/story.html
For sure the owner shouldn't let his dogs run "at large' , but holy moly!
The dog CHARGED the officer who shot three rounds in defence for his life- and MISSED??!!
What defence of life - because he didn't have a stick to throw for the danged dogs??!!
Cat
Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM

What I heard on the radio this morning was the the officer shot to scare the dogs off as he felt they were about to attack him. Seems reasonable, rather than shooting them, though I bet he now has a TON of paperwork to fill out.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Not too familliar with the particulars of this one, but I would imagine that the dogs were presenting a fair threat at the time.

And the police forgot their issue tennis ball at the station!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 AM

Big surprise here. Calgary Police Academy back at it. Surprised they didn’t try to tazer the dog while it was restrained. They should take this cowards service weapon away from him and give him a rape whistle.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 AM

Yup that's a facepalm, but this is a tough one, if I saw a dog that was a danger to a kid, I would intervine myself. But on the surface it does seem in this case there was an over reaction.

And now the guy has a gunshy retiever to boot.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
What I heard on the radio this morning was the the officer shot to scare the dogs off as he felt they were about to attack him. Seems reasonable, rather than shooting them, though I bet he now has a TON of paperwork to fill out.
I for one don't shoot to scare an animal that is threatening me!!
And oh yeah, a TON, for sure!!
I can see the inquiery now
Q: let me get this straight, a flat coated retriever and a lab cross were threatening you?
A: Oh yes! One was drooling and shaking its tail violently, and the other was barking at me and jumping up and down- he was going to bite me as soon as he dropped the stick in his mouth , i could tell!"!:
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-16-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 AM

.....where did his mis-fired shots go???

Never shoot to warn....you will startle the dogs and they will run towards you

LC
Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Cat that made my day, good one
Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 AM

What a TOOL that cop is. Apparently the kids weren't harmed after being chased by the dogs for, how long? The cop however was threatened and had to fire at a dog, in a school yard full of kids?

Either the guy is a pu$$y or an idiot or both. Good thing they had by-law officers there to capture these dogs that were hiding in a yard and under a deck.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Anybody know more about this?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...485/story.html
For sure the owner shouldn't let his dogs run "at large' , but holy moly!
The dog CHARGED the officer who shot three rounds in defence for his life- and MISSED??!!
What defence of life - because he didn't have a stick to throw for the danged dogs??!!
Cat
They were agressive and charging yet one was hiding under a deck??? Wow is about the best I can come up with.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
They were agressive and charging yet one was hiding under a deck??? Wow is about the best I can come up with.
It really does sound more than a bit strange , doesn't it?
Cat
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Having all the details would help.

If any dogs off leash charged me or my family/friends, the owners would have more to fear. Keep your friggin' dogs under control.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
how is using a deadly weapon in a playground to scare a dog off reasonable ?

there is a lot of back peddling going on with the white and blue over this .

oh - the dogs have been released back to the owners . if it was cujo running around surely he would not be back at home .
Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
Having all the details would help.

If any dogs off leash charged me or my family/friends, the owners would have more to fear. Keep your friggin' dogs under control.
the details are conveniently sketchy .
Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 PM

Scared that the dogs would lick him to death I suppose. Like someone previously posted, calgary police at their finest. Pathetic excuse for a police force.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Banned

Good Lord. My dog chases my nephews and nieces around all the time. You can practically see the dog smiling as the kids are laughing and giggling too.

I am absolutely baffled at how one could possibly make it to the age where you are old enough to be a police officer WITH a loaded gun, and think that a couple retrievers chasing kids around was anything but playing. The fact that this knob actually discharged his weapon in a residential/school area at a couple dogs playing, is beyond moronic. If he is allowed to do anything but ride parking meters for the rest of his career, there is a serious problem.

AND what's more...the first thing any parent should teach their kids is to never run from a dog. A crazed police officer with a gun...yes by all means run for your life, but never a dog.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:26 PM

I don't quite know what to make of the story.If the officer honestly believed that he was in danger and fired to protect himself, I don't have an issue with that,but him missing the dog repeatedly concerns me. If the officer only intended to scare away the dogs,and missed on purpose, I question his decision to discharge a firearm so close to a school full of children.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Nevermind the school full of children, there's a fluffy dog coming right for me!!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM

The article says that 911 was called several times for the dogs chasing the kids. Doesn't sound like a friendly game was going on.
Those of you that think that the breed of the dog should have anything to do with this, are completely out to lunch. Any dog, of any breed, can attack and can be trained to attack.
Recently I was out walking with my very young family and our dog was on leash when a yellow lab viciously attacked my dog. That's right ol' yeller attacked. Any other time I have been bitten or faced an aggressive dog it is never a bull breed or one of the other "dangerous" breeds as the media and public lable them. The owners are ultimately responsible for the dogs actions.

It's also interesting to see how many of you are quick to judge the officer's actions. You are all big and brave men sitting comfortably behind your computer screen.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 PM

If one of us done this we would be spending the next 10-15 in the clink sharing a bunk with bubba. Ian Thomson is getting wrung through the wringer for firing warning shots at fire bombers, and this guy is shooting at a dog with kids around. Willing to bet the cop won't get the same treatment. Self defence is only allowed if you wear a badge
Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
It's also interesting to see how many of you are quick to judge the officer's actions. You are all big and brave men sitting comfortably behind your computer screen.
Have you ever faced a threatening dog? Did you shoot at the dog? I have faced several threatening dogs over the years, a few times while I have had a firearm in my hands, yet I never found it necessary to fire the firearm.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
If one of us done this we would be spending the next 10-15 in the clink sharing a bunk with bubba. Ian Thomson is getting wrung through the wringer for firing warning shots at fire bombers, and this guy is shooting at a dog with kids around. Willing to bet the cop won't get the same treatment. Self defence is only allowed if you wear a badge
Exactly..and all the thousands spent on training this coward of a police officer..

I two have dealt with aggresive dogs. Havent been mauled to death, and never used a firearm. I guess I'm well enough trained to be a cop, what do you think canadiantire, I mean Canadian hunter
Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMisler View Post
Exactly..and all the thousands spent on training this coward of a police officer..

I two have dealt with aggresive dogs. Havent been mauled to death, and never used a firearm. I guess I'm well enough trained to be a cop, what do you think canadiantire, I mean Canadian hunter
Cute. You're really going there?

Dogs kill people. Let's not pretend dogs are fluffy bunnies.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM

Dogs do kill people..so do police. And like I have said before. They are trained in the usage of their; pepper spray, tazer, batton.. Knife even..gun should be last resort. Especially in a school yard near kids.

You know fish and wildlife officers use bear spray on bears, yet a cop uses a gun on a dog..something doesn't sound right to me.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Have you ever faced a threatening dog? Did you shoot at the dog? I have faced several threatening dogs over the years, a few times while I have had a firearm in my hands, yet I never found it necessary to fire the firearm.
I caught two stray dogs feeding on one of my bantam hens. They did not like the idea of me interupting their dinner. I did not like the idea of them stealing my chicken.

A warning shot got them on the run.

The nieghbor shot them both when he caught them chasing his cattle.

We figured they may have been city drop offs.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Dogs do kill people..so do police. And like I have said before. They are trained in the usage of their; pepper spray, tazer, batton.. Knife even..gun should be last resort. Especially in a school yard near kids.

You know fish and wildlife officers use bear spray on bears, yet a cop uses a gun on a dog..something doesn't sound right to me.
Less stupidity and negligence by the dog owners could've avoided all of this. If these dogs truly charged the officer, he should've popped one in each of their skulls to avoid any confusion.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:33 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I for one don't shoot to scare an animal that is threatening me!!
And oh yeah, a TON, for sure!!
I can see the inquiery now
Q: let me get this straight, a flat coated retriever and a lab cross were threatening you?
A: Oh yes! One was drooling and shaking its tail violently, and the other was barking at me and jumping up and down- he was going to bite me as soon as he dropped the stick in his mouth , i could tell!"!:
Cat
That's hilarious
Old 03-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
Less stupidity and negligence by the dog owners could've avoided all of this. If these dogs truly charged the officer, he should've popped one in each of their skulls to avoid any confusion.
This is true. Dogs owners responsibility.

The officer was aiming for their heads..he missed, and claimed they were warning shots
Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
This is true. Dogs owners responsibility.

The officer was aiming for their heads..he missed, and claimed they were warning shots
This article doesn't describe where the officer was aiming. Are there other articles?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Twas' just a joke.. Im sure that officer is a star