Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2016, 09:41 PM

Default Mule Deer question?

So last year was my first year really chasing Mulies with my bow. Im originally from BC and we really paid no attention to hunting mule deer, we mostly stuck to hunting moose. So that being said I haven't really aquired a great deal of knowledge on their movements and habits aside from what I learned this past hunting season of coarse. I had a chance encounter with an absolute monster last year while driving to a new area that I'd never hunted before. He stepped out in front of us on the highway last year and we had to slam on the brakes to not cream him. He stayed in the headlights for quite awhile (it was 5:30 am) before slowly trotting off over a small hill. All we could do was watch in awe of this majestic beast as he walked out of our life as we had no permission to per sue him on the land he was on. I also wasn't able to go back and search for him as it was about 2 hours from my home and time was in short with a toddler and a pregnant wife at home. This was in bow season mid October, my question or questions are. If by chance this deer that has been haunting my dreams for the past few months made it through rifle season what are the chances of him still being in the area? Do Mulies move much throughout the year or do they stick to their home turf ? (aside from maybe roaming a bit more in the rut of coarse.) What kind of home range are we looking at with mule deer? Sorry if these questions seem dumb but I was always taught a dumb question doesn't exist when trying to gain knowledge. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks fellow outdoorsman!