Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingd View Post
Not at a gun counter but it has to count.

"i have the mossberge 4x4 in the 270 and i have sighted at 200 yds but at the range i can hit out too 500 with no compensation aim and shoot no drop shooting ave to check the damage at 6000160g bullet ,i woudnt shoot a animal at that range with it though becouse i dont think it have the impact to drop him with one shot ,the 270 is straight out to 600 and flat havent tried but you have to check the impact couse at 600 it probaly hits like me thrown a grilled cheese at ya might burn but it wont stop"
LMAO ...you beat me to it!

LC
Old 09-16-2013, 10:42 AM

It had to be done lefty. It had to be done.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
It had to be done lefty. It had to be done.
Yes indeed! Good call....

LC
Old 09-16-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Not at a gun counter but it has to count.

"i have the mossberge 4x4 in the 270 and i have sighted at 200 yds but at the range i can hit out too 500 with no compensation aim and shoot no drop shooting ave to check the damage at 6000160g bullet ,i woudnt shoot a animal at that range with it though becouse i dont think it have the impact to drop him with one shot ,the 270 is straight out to 600 and flat havent tried but you have to check the impact couse at 600 it probaly hits like me thrown a grilled cheese at ya might burn but it wont stop"
In the running for #1.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:25 PM

Default .270

My .270 drops about 5 ft @ 500 metres! There must be something wrong with it!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
My .270 drops about 5 ft @ 500 metres! There must be something wrong with it!
Yeah, it must be- most of the 270 owners I know zero at 100 and shoot stuff with hold over right out to 400!
Cat
Old 09-17-2013, 08:08 AM

At a unnammed gun store I saw a older fellow as to see a 17hmr. He asked the guy at the counter a couple questions about it. One of those questions was how it would "do on deer". Guy at the counter said "umm I wouldn't use it on deer". Customer said "Ok.. I'll probably just stick to my 22 mag than". And he wasn't joking.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 AM

Last week while in Cabalas I took a number tag and waited to be seen by the gun counter staff. As I waited, I couldn’t help but eavesdrop on the conversation happening between a customer and a staff member who were right ahead of me. The customer was handling a Remington 700 chambered in a 338 Lapua. The customer asked the staff member ‘What size of bullets can I shoot from this?” I was assuming he meant weight of pills does the rifle prefer, built for etc. Eitherway we never got that figured out. Before the staff member could answer the question an overzealous individual answered in a sarcastic tone. “You’re holding a Lapua, as long as the head stamp says Lapua your good”. I couldn’t help but laugh out loud. The staff member was very professional and tried to correct the individual by explaining that lapua was a company and not a cartridge. The individual wasn’t listening to any of it. The man was now angry and I’m guessing a little embarrassed, he then told the staff member that he should study his firearms before selling them to customers. He then walked away in a fit. The three of us just stood there in silence, I’m sure we were all thinking "what just happened?”

Sometimes I really get a kick out of the comments people make. It just hurts my brain to try and type like he was thinking. The guy was probably there to ask where he could buy 243 Remington Ammunition for his Remington 700 that was chambered in a 243 Winchester, HUH?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:35 AM

"I dropped two deer in a row at 300 yards, open irons with my .30-30.....not sure why anyone needs a short mag...."

.....step away from the counter.....

LC
Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 AM

^^^

I find many guys don't know the difference between feet, and yards...

My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Faux View Post
^^^

I find many guys don't know the difference between feet, and yards...

Based on some of the spelling and grammar that I see, many guys repeated grade 6 and figured 6x2=12......done, that's it, I'm outta here.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:51 PM

The other day I was at the counter pulled my ticket and waited my turn. Just as I'm waiting for that little digital screen to roll over to 'ol 53 a guy down the way storms the counter and demands to know who was runnin' things cause he's been waitin' more that 15 minutes and doesn't have all day. The kid at the counter looks up and shakily asks out loud if anyone had any objections to this fella cuttin line. Surprisingly, no one objects. Well I couldn't hear exactly what the discussion was but it looked like the fella got a couple hundred grams of cappicoli, some smoked ham and went on his way.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:30 PM

To the guy at the gun counter....can I see that Savage 110 BA?....Sure....what caliber is it in?....338 Lapua, What type of shooting are you doing?....I want to use it as a bench rest and safari hunt rifle....Ummm you know it's about 16lbs on its own??? Yah I am not worried about that so much is it bigger than a 375 h&h??.....ummm, I'll let you talk to the guy we have here who is from South Africa....

LC
Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 PM

The first one is mostly hunting/wildlife related.....but I'll post anyways.

WSS south store Nov 5th of this year.

I walk up to the gun counter and a twenty something guy is looking over a savage axis while talking to the counter guys about the deer population in east central AB where I take it he is from: "Yea F and W flew a survey and found x amount of deer north of the hiway and x amount south of the hiway".

Then:

"They (F and W) came around handing out 30-06 shells to us locals to assist in the culling, but us locals told them to stuff it because of them relocating cougars and elk in our back yards without telling us. I know this because we locals have had to pull them out when they get stuck".

He then hands the gun back to the counter guy and says: "Well if I buy one it will be in .223 and not 22-250 as the .223 is a older more established cartridge and easier to find ammo for. The 22-250 is pretty rare and not as good".

What a moron.

Locally 2 weeks ago.

A guy I assumed to be late 30's is telling the counter guy that his son was drawn for moose that year and he bought the kid a .338 win mag and he has not let him practice or shoot it much because he does not want the kid to develop a flinch.

Moron number 2 for the month.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:39 PM

had a young guy at cabelas tell me 45 70 ammo was no longer made by factory so if i got one ther id have to roll my own ammo LOL
Old 11-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Banned

I overheard this phone conversation at the WSS North customer services counter just before closing last Saturday evening, about 5:50 pm. I could only hear one side of the conversation but the girl that answered the phone was asking another associate for advice:

"Hello, WSS North."
PAUSE.....
"Hey Linda (made up name), this fella shot a mule deer doe and he put his whitetail deer tag on it. He's wondering what he should do."
Linda, "Tell him that he will have to put his mule deer doe tag on it. Then contact F&W and they may reissue him another whitetail tag."
Message relayed followed by a pause......
"He says that he doesn't have a mule deer tag, only the whitetail one."
P-A-U-S-E.....
Linda, "Tell him that he needs to contact F&W."
I'd just finished paying for my goodies and about to leave when I said, with a sh*t eating grin on my face....
"Give him the Report a Poacher (RAP) number."

I wonder if they gave it to him and if he called?
Old 11-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I overheard this phone conversation at the WSS North customer services counter just before closing last Saturday evening, about 5:50 pm. I could only hear one side of the conversation but the girl that answered the phone was asking another associate for advice:

"Hello, WSS North."
PAUSE.....
"Hey Linda (made up name), this fella shot a mule deer doe and he put his whitetail deer tag on it. He's wondering what he should do."
Linda, "Tell him that he will have to put his mule deer doe tag on it. Then contact F&W and they may reissue him another whitetail tag."
Message relayed followed by a pause......
"He says that he doesn't have a mule deer tag, only the whitetail one."
P-A-U-S-E.....
Linda, "Tell him that he needs to contact F&W."
I'd just finished paying for my goodies and about to leave when I said, with a sh*t eating grin on my face....
"Give him the Report a Poacher (RAP) number."

I wonder if they gave it to him and if he called?
You can't fix stupid.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:03 PM

Thumbs down

wow yea thats stupid..
Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 PM

OMG,funny, good one.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You can't fix stupid.
Bet it happens a l,ot.

Who hasn't run into a guy that thinks the ones with the big round white butt are whitetails?

Or a guy that gets elk mixed up with muleys?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Bet it happens a l,ot.

Who hasn't run into a guy that thinks the ones with the big round white butt are whitetails?

Or a guy that gets elk mixed up with muleys?
We came across a young fellow at Camp Wainwright, shouldering his rifle towards a calf moose, then putting it down, then shouldering it again a few times, so I asked if he was deciding to take the calf, or wait for a larger antlerless moose. He replied that he thought that it was a mule deer. We finally convinced him that it was a moose, and he moved his car off of the road, so that we could get by.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We came across a young fellow at Camp Wainwright, shouldering his rifle towards a calf moose, then putting it down, then shouldering it again a few times, so I asked if he was deciding to take the calf, or wait for a larger antlerless moose. He replied that he thought that it was a mule deer. We finally convinced him that it was a moose, and he moved his car off of the road, so that we could get by.
Its more common than folks know.
I hunted with a guy from NB out that way for a couple years and thankfully he had the beans to ask before he squeezed off.
He learned fast enough but had he been a bit less thoughtfull it could have neen a disaster.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:55 AM

So went to wss on saturday and bought a new rifle. When done purchasing I asked if it would be bore sighted atleast so when I go out I can atleast be on a sheet of plywood at 50 yards. The response I got was it comes from the factory already done because they have to test the rifle so should be pretty much sited in already. I finished paying without saying much more lol. Please if I am wrong correct me if I should not have been laughing inside as much as I was
Old 12-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twispi View Post
So went to wss on saturday and bought a new rifle. When done purchasing I asked if it would be bore sighted atleast so when I go out I can atleast be on a sheet of plywood at 50 yards. The response I got was it comes from the factory already done because they have to test the rifle so should be pretty much sited in already. I finished paying without saying much more lol. Please if I am wrong correct me if I should not have been laughing inside as much as I was
Did you buy a package rifle? if you did it may be bore sighted but your choice in ammo will certainly change where it is sighted...if it is actually sighted in. The only person who mounts a scope and bore sights it on my rifles is me

LC
Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 AM

Ya package rifle. But when I looked down the scope the crosshairs were so cockeyed anyways
Old 12-02-2013, 08:31 AM

"Will be $250 to drill out your stripped shotgun bead hole, re-tap and install a new bead, the bead is $60" Should have it done in a couple days.

Won't mention where this was, the guy paid it!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ya package rifle. But when I looked down the scope the crosshairs were so cockeyed anyways
I received a package Axis in the sealed factory box for load development and sighting in. Bases and rings were loose, so it could not have been bore sighted. You simply cannot blame the retailers for this. Mudbug's niece now has this gun and I haven't heard any negative feedback.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
"Will be $250 to drill out your stripped shotgun bead hole, re-tap and install a new bead, the bead is $60" Should have it done in a couple days.

Won't mention where this was, the guy paid it!
coulda bought a nice tap and die set for that LOL
Old 12-03-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
When done purchasing I asked if it would be bore sighted atleast so when I go out I can atleast be on a sheet of plywood at 50 yards. The response I got was it comes from the factory already done because they have to test the rifle so should be pretty much sited in already. I finished paying without saying much more lol. Please if I am wrong correct me if I should not have been laughing inside as much as I was
I just find it funny that you find it so funny, and that you don't know how to boresight the rifle yourself lol.

Was it a Savage? They come from the factory "boresighted", but with those loose junky rings and who knows which boresighter they use, that could mean anything.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:41 AM

who said i didnt know how to bore sight myself? maybe some reading lessons are in order metalmike. If i am buying something might as well think it should be set up right. last rifle i bought there, guy behind counter made sure the scope was leveled and in good place for my eye then re bore sighted it.