Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 10:52 PM

Default tire chains

I have a f150 4x4 and a set of chains, witch end of the truck would be best to put them on. thanks for any advice
Old 02-12-2018, 04:35 AM

On a 4x4, unless maybe the rear had a locker, the front will have more traction because of the weight on it. You may have a bit more directional control with them on the front if you are navigating rough terrain.

In an off camber situation however, unless you have a heavier duty truck with a solid front axle, you may lose traction just from a wheel being unweighted.

Keep in mind that there is probably more stuff up front that chains can catch on , and possibly tear off or stop the wheel from spinning. And the front runs out of clearance faster, especially if you run oversized tires.

Most of the time I would just put them on the rear. I actually have 2 sets of heavy duty V-bars, and I have only had them on the back so far. They are a huge traction adder. If I did put them on the front I would need to drive pretty carefully, and not be steering too tightly.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 AM

I agree with what Tac Lever has posted, I would put them on the back as well. The front would have more weight but to me the rear diff is stronger and there is less to go wrong with it. Once you chained up the back and still had chain left over, I would put one on the front. This would give you some steering and traction but if the set up needed some slack, the bare foot tire could give you the slippage.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:41 AM

A good set on v-bars on rear of 4x4 will take you through almost anything. After that you should turn around and go home. However I use to run 4 chains on my international scout but I was going down cutlines with it as though it was a ATV and took it places a moose could not walk.
The PTO winch with 6 different speeds would get me out of those places.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 AM

Yep, v bars on both ends and it is a tank until it gets stuck. Then it is right ****ed!

If running on only one end usually the rear is best, better for climbing hills and less chance of swapping ends coming down them. Also less chance of the chains damaging the truck when on the back only.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:25 PM

Always use them on the rears first. Even with my work truck which I do have a full set for all the way around I don’t use them very often. If I get to where I need them I’m probably somewhere I shouldn’t be and most likely goofing off and not really needing to go tot hat place while on the clock... lol