Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2015, 11:35 AM

Default April 1st

April 1st is fast approaching.

Anyone planning their annual Early April fishing trip?

I wasn't able to go last year but with the lack of snow this year, I think I will be spending the weekend fishing in the mountains!
Old 03-23-2015, 01:06 PM

Oh the central alberta bull trout streams will be a busy i'm sure.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Oh the central alberta bull trout streams will be a busy i'm sure.
Me and a few buds and my pup, every spring

Cheers
Old 03-23-2015, 07:57 PM

Yes I'll b out that weekend with my fishing buddies and the fishin dog. Hopefully there isn't 4' of snow like last year
Old 03-23-2015, 08:10 PM

I used to as well, then gave up on it. Racing people to the bridges gets old.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 PM

I'll probably do as I did last year and make a few trips to the local trout streams, wake up as early as possible and be out by sunrise to beat everyone to the good spots. Sure makes it nice getting the first go at it all, I've been pretty excited for it the past few weeks actually
Old 03-23-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I used to as well, then gave up on it. Racing people to the bridges gets old.
We try and not go to the bridge. Find somewhere a little more remote and start hiking the river. I'm not sure too many folk like my dog around when trying to fly fish, so I try and stay away from the masses.

Cheers
Old 03-26-2015, 09:18 PM

It can't come soon enough! And I agree, last year there was wayy to much snow.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
We try and not go to the bridge. Find somewhere a little more remote and start hiking the river. I'm not sure too many folk like my dog around when trying to fly fish, so I try and stay away from the masses.

Cheers
Not saying I don't go out of the way myself. I just don't go to the mountains to see other people. These year is slated to be busier than others. Waldron is high and muddy and everyone looking for a bull trout fix will be out looking west of red deer opening weekend. That, and not much snow, warm temps + a long weekend. You wont see me out there. Hope those that do go out make sure the fish are treated with respect. They don't eat anything through the winter, and after their long 5 month struggle just to survive, they dont need to be put in the dry gravel or snow. Pretty vulnerable time of year for bulls/browns.

If you have cell service out there, bring your phones. I'm sure there will be the odd guy thinking he caught a really big "brook" trout.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
They don't eat anything through the winter, and after their long 5 month struggle just to survive
Lol...these are fish, they get food. They aren't hibernating in a den like a bear
Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Me and a few buds and my pup, every spring

Cheers
Pictures please.

Especially of "Fisherdog".

Take care you guys.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
They don't eat anything through the winter, .
You should tell that to all the guys that waste their time ice fishing and winter fishing the bow. I can't believe they didn't realize fish don't eat all winter!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Pictures please.

Especially of "Fisherdog".

Take care you guys.
Will do.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 AM

Yup, will fire up the ski doo, and go drill some holes!
Northern AB is still in winter.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Lol...these are fish, they get food. They aren't hibernating in a den like a bear
Doesn't take a bloody scientist to realize these fish are at their skinniest/most vulnerable this time of year. Mostly due to the facts of spawning in October, and then yes actually, in the mountains and foot hills, as the ice comes over these rivers, and temps plummet, the fish actually do almost go comatose. Rarely expending energy to find food, just so they can survive in the bottom of their wintering pools until the days start getting longer and warmer, and temps rise.

The comparison of a river influenced by warm water inflow + mass amounts of nutrients from more than a few areas, is laughable, especially to a river like the Clearwater. Followed by the comparison of a lake, capable of providing a much higher food base at all times of the year compared to an east slope stream. It's ridiculous to think you're making a compelling argument at all.

Uneducated responses like these do absolutely nothing. So typical of this forum. Not a single clue.

Last edited by Bhflyfisher; 03-27-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Doesn't take a bloody scientist to realize these fish are at their skinniest/most vulnerable this time of year. Mostly due to the facts of spawning in October, and then yes actually, in the mountains and foot hills, as the ice comes over these rivers, and temps plummet, the fish actually do almost go comatose. Rarely expending energy to find food, just so they can survive in the bottom of their wintering pools until the days start getting longer and warmer, and temps rise.

The comparison of a river influenced by warm water inflow + mass amounts of nutrients from more than a few areas, is laughable, especially to a river like the Clearwater. Followed by the comparison of a lake, capable of providing a much higher food base at all times of the year compared to an east slope stream. It's ridiculous to think you're making a compelling argument at all.

Uneducated responses like these do absolutely nothing. So typical of this forum. Not a single clue.
You said "They don't eat anything through the winter, and after their long 5 month struggle just to survive".
I do agree that there is not as much food in the winter for bulls, but do you honestly think that the mature bull trout are eating bugs all summer? No, they are eating whitefish/suckers for the most part. In a big wintering pool they would have no problem keeping full for the winter.

As for the uneducated responses...you can't expect me to take you seriously with that flatbilled hat on?
Old 03-28-2015, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
You said "They don't eat anything through the winter, and after their long 5 month struggle just to survive".
I do agree that there is not as much food in the winter for bulls, but do you honestly think that the mature bull trout are eating bugs all summer? No, they are eating whitefish/suckers for the most part. In a big wintering pool they would have no problem keeping full for the winter.

As for the uneducated responses...you can't expect me to take you seriously with that flatbilled hat on?
I do have a question though if they are eating whitefish/suckers all winter. Don't you think that if a fish sees another fish get eaten that they will move on very quickly? You know, that whole fight or flight instinct. Also as to what they are eating in the summer is irrelevant to this argument but I know for a fact that bulltrout, even mature ones, will eat stoneflies and crawns eh jbear

Also, I appreciate a nice flatbilled hat. My university professors don't seem to take my any different because of it. Shoot I even wear it backwards sometimes and it seems irrelevant to them, so why should something like that matter to you?
Old 03-28-2015, 02:44 AM

Not sure how much early season or winter fishing you do. Majority of the fish I catch are all healthy and big. Trust me there is no lack of food in a river over the winter. Remember trout are cold blooded when water temps drop so do there metabolisms. They don't need to eat as much. They expend the least amount of energy for there food.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:

I can only imagine what your response was before you edited it.

And while we are on the topic of laughable, lets once again look at the condescending tone and arrogance in the way you write...

While I enjoy sharing a pool with a fellow fisherman, I can honestly say that if your response is any indication of the kind of person you are, I hope our paths never cross.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I can only imagine what your response was before you edited it.

And while we are on the topic of laughable, lets once again look at the condescending tone and arrogance in the way you write...

While I enjoy sharing a pool with a fellow fisherman, I can honestly say that if your response is any indication of the kind of person you are, I hope our paths never cross.
He can't help it hahaha