Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 09:45 AM

Default Elk -Antelope around Suffield

How are the elk hunts going on the outside the base? Went for a recon drive the other day...very dry conditions, access sounds like it may be limited unless we get moisture. People we talked to said that the elk didn't seem to be around this year as compared to other years... One of my buddies has a cow tag and we have Ant tags...
Did see a couple Rattlers...
Old 09-14-2018, 08:35 AM

Spent a couple of days west and south-west of Suffield. A few antelope observed but no elk so far.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:47 PM

Four point bull in my sights pm me if your interested

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 09-14-2018, 04:50 PM

Also spent 3 days to the west and east.. lots of deer and goats. Seen a few elk on the west side but was 10pm when they ran across the hiway.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:44 PM

Hiked 50km in two days seen a cow/calf elk. Zero muledeer and 1 whitetal buck. Lots of speed goats nothing trophy size though.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:27 AM

When we were on the east side only saw a few goats ourselves and no elk. That was 2 weeks ago. The Antelope were not in groups then. We only saw a couple WT does booking it across a field. Something had got them moving good
Keep your eyes peeled.... see you along the trail hopefully
Old 09-15-2018, 08:45 PM

Was out today scouting, drove around the entire Block, up and down most range and township roads. I saw absolutely no elk. I saw 2 Antelope and 2 White tails. Conditions around here are very dry still, landowners are concerned about allowing access. Last years big fire near Hilda is still on many minds. I plan to scout further from the Block next week. They are out there somewhere!
Old 09-15-2018, 09:58 PM

Pretty sure they still take refuge on the block. It was around 10pm on our way to the Hat when we seen the first herd , they were rite at the fence. Was around 20 cows and calves. Few miles later 5 bulls that crossed into the block. 2nd morning we seen 8 cows..you guessed it..in the block. I have a feeling that when the sun sets they come out and the go back in first light.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:16 AM

Problem we had last year was a few things, access was limited because of drought, and then a few days before the season there was some sustenance hunting that chased the elk back into the base. Continue to put in time and don’t always search the border of the base are my recommendations, we’ve always ended up finding the elk.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:26 PM

Default Elk around d the block

Banged out 320 kms today even went south of the number 1 by suffield no elk seen .
Old 09-21-2018, 09:07 AM

Expectations should be lowered....
Elk numbers are down,and not seeing them at all hardly off base.
I know people who have spent weeks searching before getting lucky finally,and Im talking locals.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:16 AM

I had the same happen in 2015, sustenance hunters took almost everything from the east side a month before. Nothing could cross the river due to it not freezing. One thing I found, those darn elk can hide in the wide open. Behind a little rise can be 50. Got mine on the last day of my tags season.

With the numbers being quite a bit down from 2015, I feel for you. Keep putting in the time and the odds should change. Hope you can fill the tag. I just loved my hunt down there.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypee View Post
Banged out 320 kms today even went south of the number 1 by suffield no elk seen .
Get a jet boat and get on the river
Old 09-25-2018, 07:36 PM

Default Suffiel elk

We were out for five days in first half of September and picked up four cows and and a monster bull. Horns were not the biggest but he was absolutely covered with 3 inches of fat over everything. Never saw one that would weigh up like he did. There didn't seem to be many out. we simply got lucky and made the best of our opportunities.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:11 PM

Was archery hunting antelope and saw 500 elk in the base south of the transmission line that runs in the North of the base.

LC