Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Default Hows WMU XXX?

Ready for the annual threads of people of havent done their homework on their draws, and now that they are drawn, are looking for numbers of animals in zones?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:52 PM

First there will be the threads complaining about how the system messed up, because someone didn't get drawn.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:57 PM

Anyone have any pointers on Bull moose in WMU 999? My 90 year old grandpa just got drawn there, and seeing how this might be his last hunt...

Old 07-11-2018, 02:57 PM

And the annual replies that people who think they are holier than thou chastise fellow hunters for trying to maximize the information they can get on creating a successful and enjoyable hunt. God forbid we put the 'internet mental idiot' mantra aside and just help support hunters doing their thing eh?
Old 07-11-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Ready for the annual threads of people of havent done their homework on their draws, and now that they are drawn, are looking for numbers of animals in zones?
So what are you getting at it sounds like they're trying to do their homework if you dont want to give info don't you want to help somebody greati dont see the big deal
Old 07-11-2018, 03:17 PM

Some people just like to complain... If you don't like the thread, don't read it. I enjoy the one's asking about areas. I contribute where I can, and often I learn a little more about each WMU.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:20 PM

I have helped several hunters over the years, and a few have helped me. As long as a person makes a good effort on their own, I will gladly help out. However, when a person is a few days from their hunt, and has done nothing, and expects someone else to do all of their homework, to save their hunt I am not anxious to help. That being said, I have led people to game after they made a serious effort, but things just Didn't come together for them. I am actually hoping to see posts from a certain member, who I provided information for before the draws, for a pronghorn hunt for his father. I hope he draws, and succeeds at killing a buck.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM

Year of the Bison for me,gotta save some hunting $$ for that in Feb.....999'd all my draws.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Banned

Well I got drawn now I got to do the dishes so I can have permission to shoot a yard elk
Old 07-11-2018, 04:23 PM

If a member who has been on here a while asks for info on an area I’ve hunted before I’ll PM him what I know. I’ve done the same thing before and been successful because another member did the same for me. I won’t give or expect honey holes but enough info to get in the general area so a decent hunt can occur with some effort is always welcomed and appreciated.

A person asks who has only been a member for five minutes or who never posts is usually just ignored.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
And the annual replies that people who think they are holier than thou chastise fellow hunters for trying to maximize the information they can get on creating a successful and enjoyable hunt. God forbid we put the 'internet mental idiot' mantra aside and just help support hunters doing their thing eh?
Lots of them...every year

I’ve asked for some help and got it from some very nice fellow hunters and I’ve provided it to others. Doesn’t hurt to help people out once in awhile.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Lots of them...every year

I’ve asked for some help and got it from some very nice fellow hunters and I’ve provided it to others. Doesn’t hurt to help people out once in awhile.
9/10 times helping someone is beneficial. And it makes you feel better. People are so worried someone is gonna get a bigger rack than them. This is all about friendship, and being happy for next guy. 2018 year of helping ; )
Old 07-11-2018, 05:07 PM

I'll always help guys out on info for hunts like camp wainwright or antelope in the zone I recently hunted. It will be 20 years before I antelope hunt again and giving some pointers to guys won't affect me down the road and may help someone have success on a once or twice in a lifetime hunt.

The above being said, I'm tight lipped about my normal hunting area. Permission is hard enough to attain as is, that giving out locations on the internet could be devastating to anyone already hunting there.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
9/10 times helping someone is beneficial. And it makes you feel better. People are so worried someone is gonna get a bigger rack than them. This is all about friendship, and being happy for next guy. 2018 year of helping ; )
I agree. Pretty much happy to help anyone I've interacted with on here except for a couple of knobs.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:30 PM

As a new hunter, but avid outdoorsman, I myself find many individuals in the hunting community shameful and often disgusting with witnessed hunting practices. That being said, with so much word out and around of hunters numbers in decline, (so they say) I find it amusing that many new into the world of hunting seem to get cold shoulders from the existing hunting community, and the community seems to be more an every man for himself mindset (or buddies only), then one of mentorship, guidance and direction from the more experienced hunters.

Sure I’m sure on the flip side, there are individuals looking for others to walk them directly to an animal, but for the most it seems this is not the case. For those of us who have not traveled the province scouting hunting territories over the last 10-20-40 years, why are we expected to: “why put in for draws in XXX if you don’t know it. Well many of us didnt grow up knowing and therefore most any zone could be considered unknown when it comes to hunting opportunities.
Plus with guys like me just starting out, well is it wrong for me to put in for a zone I don’t know like the back of my hand in hopes to draw a specific tag in a shorter period of time then just putting in where I know, yet may have to wait 15- 20 years to get drawn?

Absolutely shameful some of the posts and responses. A community group of hunters who’s canned responses are more then typical synical and go figure it out for yourself. Why would you put in there. Don’t ask, just do. Offer little advice and guidance yet quick to offer criticism and chastisement such as found in the orinial post.

Most of us are just trying to figure it out. If we don’t know, we need to ask. How else can we figure it out and we cannot be expected to have the same knowledge and expertise, understanding of the draw systems and of each individual zones as those with greater experience. Myself, draws verse what zones have been a challenge. Not navigating the draw system but choosing with my little knowledge where to even bother putting in for. I drew bull moose this hear on my second year of putting in draws. I know the area well enough but I do not know it well enough that I’m to proud to ask questions about the area and about others wxpwrinaces with the area as well as drawing this soon came as a surprise to me and in my head, I thoight I had more time. That being said, quite possibly where I put in for the tag, may have been a mistake on my part. But hey, I’m just trying to figure it out... and for me hunting is not about limiting myself to my own backdoor and where I get up knowing, it’s about opening up the world (or province) for new experiences and opportunities. Why should I seek to contain myself to where I know that I know I know. Due to work and finainces I may not have th capacity to scout the entire province to determine this, this is where I’m putting in draws. Everywhere is “new” hunting grounds for me right now.

Anyways, for the hunting community to be the supposed hunting community that it is, why on earth are so many hunters a bunch of A holes. We’re all on the same team just trying to enjoy ourselves and make the best of life. Is my successful harvest really an assault upon you or your presence in the hunting world. Is cutting me off or nearly running me off the road only so you can try to get first stab at the buck you seen only because my binoculars were pointed at it really the way you find enjoyment while hunting. Anyways I only posted as I see far to many new or inexperienced hunters being belittled by so many others far to often. To the OP. Sorry dude, every zone is the unknown for me hunting wise. No matter how many hours I have spent in the bush or fishing or camping etc. Keeping track of game staticsits, landowner disposition, properties, crown, cutlines, was nothing required and all unawares to me until I got into hunting just a few short years ago. Nearly every WMU and the game populations is an unknown to me. Should I not submit draws because that is the case? Should I just 999 everything until you give me the go ahead that I have enough familiarization with the specific WMU that I can now put in for draws. So if this is the hunting community, then no wonder it appears every man for himself, that’s what the experienced guys are showing me, learn it alone, go at it alone, make sure I harvest at the expense of the other guy. Etc. Wise wisdom from the best of them.. if all else fails chastise the new guys. Make them want to stay home and out of your neck of the woods...

Granted all that being said, there are many great individuals I know that. These are the ones who keep the community going and hold it together. The rest of ya posting like your just better then everyone else and those who destroy the hunting opportunities within our province by your it’s all me at the expense of everyone else wether hunter, landowner, law or practice. You should be ashamed. My first few years into hunting, the biggest hurdle was having to deal with comignntk see how shameful and discraceful so many of the hunters out there are when it comes to hunting practices and attitudes...
Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 PM

I don’t agree with all the negativity regarding newbies asking for help, i DO understand it...
As much as people say “hunting numbers are going down”, i think most guys who have been around the block for 10+ years will understand that that simply isn’t the case. I know that in my area, it seems like hunter numbers have doubled in the past 5 years or so. A TON of new guys trespassing, road hunting and just generally giving us ALL a bad name. It leads to resentment, and animosity. My zone is about 75% private land, 20% grazing leads and 5% public access land... it’s taken a LOT of work maintaining relationships with landowners, and setting myself apart from the crowd. I used to have sole access to an amazing 20,000 acre ranch with amazing mule deer habitat - but lost it due to “some guys from the city” who were road hunting and shot a young buck almost in his front yard. They don’t allow hunting to anyone anymore.
Having said that, i KNOW that the best thing for our lifestyle is to have new people try it, succeed in it, and promote it to more and more people. It’s the only way out way of life will survive. Without new people hunting, the anti’s WILL successfully lobby the government and we WILL lose that very lifestyle we love so much.
If i hear anyone needing help in the zone(s) i hunt, I’m more than happy to send them a PM giving them a heads up as to areas to go and landowners to talk to. I almost always keep my honey holes locked down, but giving a few pointers doesn’t hurt anyone. - but luckily, not as many people head east.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:23 PM

I agree Sage. We definitely need a way more positive approach to our sport. Especially with all the negativity the anti's give it.
Jesus if we cant even help each other than we are doomed.
Ill start with some positivitey, if anyone has a WMU 256 or 500 elk or mulie draw PM me and ill put you on some elk or mule deer. Most of it on my inlaws farmland.
I do all my elk and mulie hunting in the NW at my cabin. Id be more than happy to help, especially a new hunter or youth.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:43 PM

Ahh see you guys have it figured out for sure.. Without some form of mentorship allot of new hunters would either drop out, or become the next generation of road hunters. Lol.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Anyone have any pointers on Bull moose in WMU 999? My 90 year old grandpa just got drawn there, and seeing how this might be his last hunt...

Lmao
Old 07-12-2018, 11:06 PM

gwad you ppl love to complain! Ignore and carry on or, how refreshing, send a PM of some help to someone who is learning. As a person who only has a couple of years hunting, I am glad one of you d*&^$ isn't my mentor.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:25 AM

I'm all for helping a new guy out getting started. It's the guys who have been at it 6-7'years that still ask me to help them fill their tags. When asked so where have you been scouting the answer is usually similar....well been really busy this year so I haven't gotten out much.... Have you been practicing your calling techniques? Ummm no I haven't had time....the are lots of guys that wast to full third day but have zero desires to put in the work. Then there are the guys who ask me to get then into elk....they just want to see how to find them...once you get them onto some elk they assume that that address is now there new elk hunting area cause they now know where the elk are. I can from a non hunting family stared hunting when I was 25 I learned on my own I had no mentor all my success was because I dedicated my free time to hunting. The hours I have invested and miles I have walked have led to success. It was 7 years before I put my first elk down. If you want an easy hunt pay someone.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:15 AM

Absolutely obsessed. I find myself in the same situation. I have had to learn and figure it all out myself by investing the time and energy into it. I haven’t had the privilege of learning the ropes for anyone. And of coarse anyone interred to learn will do so without needed help.

I myself just feel as though mentorship of some form is not required to get into the sport and someone’s presence in it is going to really some down to what kind of individual the person ultimately is, “road hunters” and “weekend warriors” I believe are somewhat of consequence of allot of guys just not getting taught the ethics and values that should encompass the sport. At least on the large scale. There will always be road hunters and weekend warriors but I believe the huge number in some way is linked to so many not just getting any guidance and direction as to how to compose onself with the sport. One road hunter learns from another road hunter and on and on. This guy wants to hunt, has no clue how to hunt, asked some questions and got generic answers, doesn’t know how wehere or what, so he sees a buck standing in some guys home quarter, just of the highway. Well there he goes. Hunting is easy. He filled his tag. This is how he learned to harvest and this is how he shows he next and so on... never mind the attitude that heavy in the sport of every man for himself. Get the kill yourself st any and all cost otherwise the next guy will...

Maybe it’s just a decline in values across all boards and we see it in the hunting world just as everywhere else. Not sure. But really, as a newer hunter, I believe the hunting community needs a large lesson in values. From what I have witnessed, it’s quite shameful and no wonder ever angle wants to shut us down and out. Not that most are the problem, of coarse the problem is the few are destroying it for the rest. I simply just think we wouldn’t have so many of the few if more time was invested in others ensuring values are instilled and instruction on how to be a successful hunter not just when it comes to the kill.

Last edited by masonjames; 07-13-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
I don’t agree with all the negativity regarding newbies asking for help, i DO understand it...
As much as people say “hunting numbers are going down”, i think most guys who have been around the block for 10+ years will understand that that simply isn’t the case. I know that in my area, it seems like hunter numbers have doubled in the past 5 years or so. A TON of new guys trespassing, road hunting and just generally giving us ALL a bad name. It leads to resentment, and animosity. My zone is about 75% private land, 20% grazing leads and 5% public access land... it’s taken a LOT of work maintaining relationships with landowners, and setting myself apart from the crowd. I used to have sole access to an amazing 20,000 acre ranch with amazing mule deer habitat - but lost it due to “some guys from the city” who were road hunting and shot a young buck almost in his front yard. They don’t allow hunting to anyone anymore.
Having said that, i KNOW that the best thing for our lifestyle is to have new people try it, succeed in it, and promote it to more and more people. It’s the only way out way of life will survive. Without new people hunting, the anti’s WILL successfully lobby the government and we WILL lose that very lifestyle we love so much.
If i hear anyone needing help in the zone(s) i hunt, I’m more than happy to send them a PM giving them a heads up as to areas to go and landowners to talk to. I almost always keep my honey holes locked down, but giving a few pointers doesn’t hurt anyone. - but luckily, not as many people head east.
As a newbie going into my first season, this makes sense to me.

In the Calgary area, when compared to other outdoor pursuits, the resources are just relatively scarce giving demand - this is going to make folks more tight lipped. Mountain biking, kayaking, trail running etc... there is so much opportunity that sharing areas is no risk.

It is frustrating as a newbie figuring out an area that you want to hunt, scouting it, and then finding out you need years of priority to get a tag. That being said, I can appreciate that those that have been through that want to see us newbs make the same effort.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I'm all for helping a new guy out getting started. It's the guys who have been at it 6-7'years that still ask me to help them fill their tags. When asked so where have you been scouting the answer is usually similar....well been really busy this year so I haven't gotten out much.... Have you been practicing your calling techniques? Ummm no I haven't had time....the are lots of guys that wast to full third day but have zero desires to put in the work. Then there are the guys who ask me to get then into elk....they just want to see how to find them...once you get them onto some elk they assume that that address is now there new elk hunting area cause they now know where the elk are. I can from a non hunting family stared hunting when I was 25 I learned on my own I had no mentor all my success was because I dedicated my free time to hunting. The hours I have invested and miles I have walked have led to success. It was 7 years before I put my first elk down. If you want an easy hunt pay someone.
Wow posting on my phone is bad news....sorry for the whacked out sentences
Old 07-13-2018, 10:43 AM

As a retired guide and outfitter for almost 25 years, I love to tell people where to start looking. I have no issue at all. WE all learned from somebody to told us a good spot to look or try. And some to not bother. We all took that snippet of information and went and looked. Sometimes we are successful and sometimes we went home with nothing.
And to anybody that says they "learned it all on my own" I call b.s.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
As a retired guide and outfitter for almost 25 years, I love to tell people where to start looking. I have no issue at all. WE all learned from somebody to told us a good spot to look or try. And some to not bother. We all took that snippet of information and went and looked. Sometimes we are successful and sometimes we went home with nothing.
And to anybody that says they "learned it all on my own" I call b.s.
Call b's all you want. For some of us the only help we have had is listening and paying attention , reading and trying. I have never had someone take me out and show me how hunt, or where good spots are or how to read trail sign. Its not dificult to find out anything you want to kniw about any critter you are hunting. Knowing the animal will help knowing where to start looking for animal. Trial and error and piles of research and tones of miles is the best educator. Listen and pay attention for any scrap of information you can use then get out and put in the time
Old 07-13-2018, 12:40 PM

I also came from a non hunting family started with a pellet gun hunting squirrels and rabbits on my local golf course learning to read sign of the critters around where I lived eventually started hunting geese and deer learning their habits from books mostly back in the day read lots of outdoor life and petersen's hunting ..never really had a mentor at all, after I got divorced because I hunted and fished too much I started as a fishing guide and that eventually led into big game guiding and a 25 year career. Nowadays things have changed everything's on the internet everybody ask for everything I helped out lots of people, but the best way to do it is get out and do it yourself Hunter's nowadays have so many more advantages other than maybe the permission thing but there's tons of Crown Land good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2018, 01:54 PM

Smile Helping others

Hat's off to the folks who offer a helping hand. I PMed a few folks on here last year and was rewarded with a decent trophy antelope. Good insight from others paid off big time. It gave me a general location and the rest was up to me to cover ground and explore scouting.

DaveF
Old 07-13-2018, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Call b's all you want. For some of us the only help we have had is listening and paying attention , reading and trying. I have never had someone take me out and show me how hunt, or where good spots are or how to read trail sign. Its not dificult to find out anything you want to kniw about any critter you are hunting. Knowing the animal will help knowing where to start looking for animal. Trial and error and piles of research and tones of miles is the best educator. Listen and pay attention for any scrap of information you can use then get out and put in the time
I grew up in the country and basically learned hunting on my own as well as I had no uncles or older cousins that hunted and neither did my father. When I first starting hunting a lot of my scouting was done on the bus riding to school all year round.
I can easily understand why some members call "bs" about not getting help as the idea of doing all the work yourself to line up a hunt is something they have no concept of. They go on the internet and ask for info, almost demand info and if someone suggests they maybe put in the effort themselves they are offended and angry.
HOW THE HELL DO YOU THINK EVERYONE FOUND HUNTING SPOTS AND DEVELOPED TECHNIQUES BEFORE THE INTERNET............There were books available but most knowledge was acquired by spending time in the bush. Quit whining and crying because someone won't take you by the hand and show you everything........and try that new concept for you internet hunters where you get out and EARN your game/birds. The laziness portrayed by many of you new hunters is unbelievable.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 PM

I'm all for finding my own spots and I have pairs of worn out boots to prove it.

I have sent pm's to guys looking for help in an area I am familiar with.
I won't send info to someone who has not contributed to the "community" here but if a member I know is looking for a hand I'm there.

Around 08 I had never even seen a black bear. I really wanted to try hunting them.BB356 found out about that. He gave me exact spots to go, came out to check on me one day because there was some deep mud and I was camping alone. He even let me use his freezer so I could continue to hunt after I had gotten a bear.
I had never met him in person before this hunt but it helped me out a lot.