Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Outfitter found deceased

Not sure if anybody was following story, but guide has been found

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/this_...ign=user-share
Old 09-16-2018, 03:17 PM

Yep have so.
RIP Mark. Not to disrespect, must of been a hell of a fight.
But......

Hunter throws gun and runs???
Old 09-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Banned

How unfortunate. He was a father of five as well...
Quite the display of pusillanimity by the Yankee.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:42 PM

Default outfitter dead

Have to let the facts come out. But from the sounds of it, two grizzly bears attacked them while they were working on the elk. Let's wait for the other side of the story before making judgement.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Sad, I feel for the man's family.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-16-2018, 09:33 PM

Couple coworkers are out working this case. They e caught and killed 2 grizzlies they believed were involved. Sad state of affairs! I’m afraid this sort of thing will only come more common place as time progresses. Be safe out there everyone!

https://apnews.com/a0994406ed314154ad85b318674196e3
Old 09-16-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Couple coworkers are out working this case. They e caught and killed 2 grizzlies they believed were involved. Sad state of affairs! I’m afraid this sort of thing will only come more common place as time progresses. Be safe out there everyone!

https://apnews.com/a0994406ed314154ad85b318674196e3
Glad to hear the bears were caught and dispatched. That wouldn't happen here, just close the area for a year or two.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Yep have so.
RIP Mark. Not to disrespect, must of been a hell of a fight.
But......

Hunter throws gun and runs???
Like was said, the actual events are unclear at this point... but I'm finding the scenario implied by the article very hard to believe. I'm willing to bet that either no gun was tossed before the hunter fled, or possibly the hunter was following instructions given by the man being attacked.

In a world where a bus full of people will cower while a man armed with a pen knife eats another person's face its somewhat surprising this isn't a more common story.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-17-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Like was said, the actual events are unclear at this point... but I'm finding the scenario implied by the article very hard to believe. I'm willing to bet that either no gun was tossed before the hunter fled, or possibly the hunter was following instructions given by the man being attacked.

In a world where a bus full of people will cower while a man armed with a pen knife eats another person's face its somewhat surprising this isn't a more common story.
Yep for sure.

Like ford said, it's under investigation.
Only one side of the story now though, and two bears that are dead ain't talkin.

I know one thing, and I'm not a hero, and never will be.
But I will never leave another human being behind.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:16 PM

Happens fast guys. We had a bear come at a run from over a mile away to a sheep carcass. Lucky my son looked up and saw her. Managed to turn her at 200 yds with a couple shots. Or have turned bad fast if my son hadn’t spotted her also lucky it was open terrain. Keep your heads up and good luck this season
Old 09-18-2018, 08:52 AM

I just read an update yesterday. They found an empty bear spray canister at the scene and when they examined the bears there was bear spray on them. So much for relying on bear spray. The only spray that works is one that shoots lead.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:55 AM

I find it hard to believe that hunter had a gun in his hand and did not use it to protect the guide being mauled??
Old 09-18-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I find it hard to believe that hunter had a gun in his hand and did not use it to protect the guide being mauled??
Threw it to him as he ran. Nice.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Threw it to him as he ran. Nice.
Slow down guys.

Keep in mind that reader comprehension and reporting of these incident is usually flawed... so I am not claiming You or I are right.

Reports suggest that the firearm was initially packed away, and unloaded.

The hunter was being mauled by the sow when he was in possession of the unloaded gun. He threw the gun to the guide, who was NOT being attacked at that time.

This scenario makes sense.
It's probably pretty tough to load a gun while a Grizzly is treating you like a ham sandwich.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Reported by the guy that ran away and lived but yet barely has any injuries. I watched his TV interview and saw his injuries, ya something dont add up to me. But who knows I wasn't there and hes the only witness.

Last edited by kingrat; 09-18-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:25 PM

Sad state of affairs for sure, feel bad for the family and kids !

We’ve had 4 cabins destroyed this summer from Grizzly, and my caribou guide saw 12 different bears on one mountain range last week. 2 days ago I had a 7 1/2 foot boar grizzly walk right into the yard at the lodge while we were loading a clients truck at noon. He walked up to 40 yards before I dumped a 300 WSM into his feet. He trotted off into the trees then walked out on my runway 45 seconds later at 100 yards. Did not care about us yelling at him, the second shot got him into the trees at a trot.
Next time he shows up will likely be his last visit, hopefully he’s learned but I have my doubts !
Old 09-18-2018, 10:12 PM

It's a tragedy when anyone dies on the job, regardless of their occupation.

I hate to say it, but it's going to be like the good old days where problem bears will be shot in the guts so they go die a couple of miles away from camp. Maybe once g-bears chew up enough campers and tourists, the government will realize that a hunting season needs to be re-established.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-19-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
It's a tragedy when anyone dies on the job, regardless of their occupation.

I hate to say it, but it's going to be like the good old days where problem bears will be shot in the guts so they go die a couple of miles away from camp. Maybe once g-bears chew up enough campers and tourists, the government will realize that a hunting season needs to be re-established.
Population will be controlled one way or another..
Old 09-19-2018, 08:30 AM

Whole situation is a tragedy. Kids lose a parents...

I'm noticing they have no fear. Yesterday bumped into one. I was in my pickup but she followed along side it and then sniff in the air and walked straight for my truck. Roast beef sandwiches in the cooler in the box I presume. But she had no fear whatsoever.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:10 AM

Default Outfitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Slow down guys.

Keep in mind that reader comprehension and reporting of these incident is usually flawed... so I am not claiming You or I are right.

Reports suggest that the firearm was initially packed away, and unloaded.

The hunter was being mauled by the sow when he was in possession of the unloaded gun. He threw the gun to the guide, who was NOT being attacked at that time.

This scenario makes sense.
It's probably pretty tough to load a gun while a Grizzly is treating you like a ham sandwich.

How does that saying go, " It may be so .. I do not know … But it sounds so very strange."

Packing an unloaded gun while retrieving a dead elk in grizzly country..
Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka2 View Post
I just read an update yesterday. They found an empty bear spray canister at the scene and when they examined the bears there was bear spray on them. So much for relying on bear spray. The only spray that works is one that shoots lead.

Nothing works perfectly 100% of the time. Some animals are going to have less of a reaction than others no different then people and oc spray the police use. Add in what the adrenaline level is and it’s anyone’s guess. Not to mention how do we know that he didn’t get mauled and then stopped the attack by spraying the bear after the damage was already done?? Oh wait you must have been there to know since spray doesn’t work right.....
Old 09-20-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Nothing works perfectly 100% of the time.[I] Some animals are going to have less of a reaction than others no different then people and oc spray the police use.[/I] Add in what the adrenaline level is and it’s anyone’s guess. Not to mention how do we know that he didn’t get mauled and then stopped the attack by spraying the bear after the damage was already done?? Oh wait you must have been there to know since spray doesn’t work right.....

^This^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 09-20-2018, 10:50 PM

No disrespect to anyone there, I wasn't, but why oh why would you be in heavy bear country with an unloaded gun packed away??

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-21-2018, 06:12 AM

My condolences to family and friends, a tragic loss fore sure.

Yes, protection in Grizzly Country, and every where while receiving game. A fully charged unit is the best line of defence. Practice this forward retreating stance at the range,,, it could save you, and others lives. For those that choose to that is.

Black Bears, Cougars, and the most feared Moose have been known to challange humans at anytime. Don't count out the on looking Deer and Wolves as they have their share of attacks on human kind as well.

Learn from other people's mistakes, don't let others persuade you that things are okay.

Keep your guard up as there are no shortage of dangers lurking behind the scenes when game is on the ground.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
No disrespect to anyone there, I wasn't, but why oh why would you be in heavy bear country with an unloaded gun packed away??
True enough recovering a dead elk in grizzly country your allowed to pack pistols minimum you thinking have pistol on your body at all times but I would like to think a person would have a slug gun or 45-70 really close at hand. Easy to judge after but it just seem kind of wrong to me.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
True enough recovering a dead elk in grizzly country your allowed to pack pistols minimum you thinking have pistol on your body at all times but I would like to think a person would have a slug gun or 45-70 really close at hand. Easy to judge after but it just seem kind of wrong to me.
Makes sense to me.
Rules should be changed after this incident