Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 07:45 PM

Default How much to rebarrel a Winchester featherweight?

I currently own a new Winchester featherweight in 270win with a 22 inch barrel. I’m wanting to get a longer barrel (24 inch) with a slightly heavier barrel contour. What are some options and how much would such a project cost? I live in southern Alberta and would need good gun smith’s Name to start the process.

If anyone has experience with swapping out barrels on featherweights I would be interested in learning from you what worked and what didn’t.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2018, 07:52 PM

Default ....

Pends on the barrel brand and who is doing the work
Old 08-19-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewaldS View Post
I currently own a new Winchester featherweight in 270win with a 22 inch barrel. I’m wanting to get a longer barrel (24 inch) with a slightly heavier barrel contour. What are some options and how much would such a project cost? I live in southern Alberta and would need good gun smith’s Name to start the process.

If anyone has experience with swapping out barrels on featherweights I would be interested in learning from you what worked and what didn’t.

Thanks
It depends on your barrel but it's around $450-500 (KS arms, Benchmark, Krieger, Hawkhill etc)
The chamber job depends on your gun Smith, Henry Remple is close to Calgary. KS arms and EM precision do awesome work. Insite arms builds tac drivers but a little more expensive than the above three.
Chambering is usually around $350-400 I wouldn't cheap out on a good gun smith tho.

So budget around $800-900 is what I usually do when I need to rechamber my match rifle.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:57 AM

You would possibly be better off selling the barely used gun and buying the setup you want. Sounds like you wish you had the model 70 sporter which comes with a heavier than featherweight 24 inch barrel.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:13 AM

How much heavier barrel? #3 or #4 contour? Be prepared to also do some stock work. Most custom barrels have a heavier shank plus you are getting a heavier contour.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:26 AM

Count on $1000
The stock is the limiting factor on how heavy the barrel
Can be
Old 08-20-2018, 08:32 AM

When you are getting custom gunsmithing work done, you should not be worried what part of the province the gunsmith is in. That gun is going to cost no more than $30 for shipping each way regardless of where you live in the province. I know what I would be doing if I were in your shoes. I'd be picking up the phone and talking with KS Arms in Edmonton, telling them what I want, and then listening attentively as they give me their suggestion. There are others that are also good, and some have been mentioned. David Henry out of Bentley is another I would recommend equally. I've been on this board for a while. I have read basically every word on gunsmiths since I have joined. I have had stellar work done by some, and others not so much. I have listened to many, many reviews from friends who have used these two people also. No offence, but re-barreling a model 70 is child's play for a real gunsmith. However, there are lots who call themselves such, but should not be doing so. The two I have mentioned will do flawless work, and will have your gun back to you when they say they will. And, in the event something was not quite kosher, they will not jerk you around, but will make it right. That is worth a helluva lot more than the price of shipping. Consider yourself warned. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:38 AM

I highly recommend a Stainless Steel Benchmark Barrel, a #2 contour is probably what your looking for or a #3 contour but no heavier than a 3, barrel will cost $600 shipped to your door from Gary&Ebony Eakin of Bighorn sales, add $125 for fluting,

labour costs will be about $500, give or take a little, I would recommend having your action/bolt face trued and squared while you have it apart.

I just built a 6mm Creedmoor on a Winchester 70 action and a #1 contour 24" SS Benchmark barrel,

Being from BC I've had rifles built by Mitch Kendal(Kamloops,BC) and Gary Flach (Langley,BC), both gunsmiths are excellent, only difference in the two is Garys turn around time may be a little quicker.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:03 PM

I have thought of that but I like the fit and look of the gun enough to rather keep it and invest some work. But you are 100% right I kinda wish I had just bought a sporter.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 PM

Thanks guys for all the comments and names. I’m gonna make some calls and get the ball rolling.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:58 AM

The guys at ks do awesome work, and make their own barrels, think they’re $800 supply and install but I may be mistakenly.

I’ve got a 270 wby they did for me on a 700 action that shoots lights out and a 264 win in getting done up right now with them