Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Default camp cot or air mattress?

which for camping is more comfy? I have a large air mattress which is ok for tenting, but was wondering if a camp cot is better? me bones are getting old!

thanks for the input in advance!!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

A cot with a foam mattress is more comfy. An air mattress is okay too but if your luck is like mine it'll be flat before 2:00 Am
Old 05-23-2010, 03:21 PM

x2 a cot is much nicer i think but you need to put stuff under your sleeping bag(foam or blankets). You loose insulation buy laying on it and when it's cold at night you'll notice. Alot easier to put your socks on too!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:26 PM

Default Byob

Lately, the wife and I got to using one of those "bring your own bed" systems normally found at Crappy Tire. For about a hundered bucks, it made a real comfortable bed for in the wall tent.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:50 PM

Get a cot but make sure the legs are long enough to sit down comforably. The one I have is comfortable but it's a long drop to the cot and even longer when you get out. If you have a inside stove/heater it will actually warm you up on the bottom. You can get ones now a days that fold up into a nice small bag.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:10 PM

if you go with a cot make sure you get a wide one. I have spent way to many a night on ones that end up throwing your back/hips out because they aren't wide enough. This gives you the sensation that someone is trying to fold you in half by your left and right sides. Anyways you wake up and its very uncomfortable. As mentioned earlier you want to get some insulation between your bag and the cot as all that cold air will come up under you and freeze you out.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:34 PM

Cot and two 3" foamies = dreamland.
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailsheds View Post
Cot and two 3" foamies = dreamland.
yep, that couldnt be more true, I gotta be off the ground, just get one to fit yer body... ( length & width )
Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 AM
Banned

i have a coleman cot that comes with an air mattress. super comfy unit. about 80 buck at crappy tire. it has a system to strap in in place so nothing can shift and has a bunch of pockets to hold all your crap neat and organized. oh, and did i mention comfy?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:01 AM

I bought this one a few years back. You can also buy accesories that fit onto them. Will last a lifetime.

https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pag...2=1250&ID=1288

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 AM

A nice wide cot, and a thermorest mattress. Zzzzzzzzz

Cheers, G.

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
I bought this one a few years back. You can also buy accesories that fit onto them. Will last a lifetime.

https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pag...2=1250&ID=1288
Wow 130$$? THey were selling this one down in Post Falls for 69$ 3 weeks ago. Only thing was they sold out so fast and getting the rein check you had no idea when they were getting more in. But that definately looks like it will fit the ticket. Nice and WIDE!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Wow 130$$? THey were selling this one down in Post Falls for 69$ 3 weeks ago. Only thing was they sold out so fast and getting the rein check you had no idea when they were getting more in. But that definately looks like it will fit the ticket. Nice and WIDE!
Wow thats a dang good price. Think I paid around $89-$99. My brother brought it up from the US. I can see why they sold out fast. hehe Very good unit.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorram View Post
A nice wide cot, and a thermorest mattress. Zzzzzzzzz

Cheers, G.
x2

Lots of great advice in this thread for sure..

Cot all the way but if its late season you have to go with a thermorest underneath unless you are using a -40 bag which I have found to provide enough of a barrier between your back and the cot.

Make sure it is a quality cot like a Cabelas model or a Slumberjack.

I had a lot of cold nights on cots before I got my Thermarest and I am simply amazed at how it traps the warm air and holds it.

I have slept lots on air mattresses on the ground and in the back of my truck on scouting trips and they are far from comfortable.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
A cot with a foam mattress is more comfy. An air mattress is okay too but if your luck is like mine it'll be flat before 2:00 Am
X2 Foamy on a cot= restful sleep (+ or- 12 Keiths)
Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 AM

I like cots myself because it gives you something to sit on and give the old joints a break. Also gives you a bit of storage underneath to help keep the tent a bit more tidy.

If you prefer the air mattress route MEC has a great air mattress that is filled with down. It adds a lot of warmth to your bed. I have seen it at Valhalla Pure as well.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:17 AM

Cot... You can buy them extra wide, extra long, extra sturdy etc. and put a foamy or something on it for comfort & insulation.

I had a buddy use an air mattress once on a Nov. hunting trip. hahahaha. He had about 1/2 an inch of ice between his sleeping bag and air mattress. He never slep a wink. Air mattresses do not breath and froze up on him.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl649 View Post
If you prefer the air mattress route MEC has a great air mattress that is filled with down. It adds a lot of warmth to your bed. I have seen it at Valhalla Pure as well.
Those would be the Exped Downmats.....checked at Valhalla last Thursday....$220.....
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 AM

Default Camp cot ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
which for camping is more comfy? I have a large air mattress which is ok for tenting, but was wondering if a camp cot is better? me bones are getting old!

thanks for the input in advance!!
Do a search on Kamp-Rite Tent Cots.

Bruce.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Gone Hunting

I have used pretty much everything at one time or another. Hate hammocks

The best is foam on a cot. I bought some very good cots from GI Jen's in Lethbridge. They had the best value for dollar. Don't cheap out on size or quality.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-30-2018, 08:10 AM

A cot all the way.

I've been using the Cabelas Guide Cot for years and I sleep so well on it. I have one set up in my basement for nights when its too hot to sleep upstairs (too cheap to buy AC!). I still get my 7-8 hrs just fine.

You will want to add a small mattress to add a bit of cushion on it - again Cabelas make great ones sized for this cot. When its cold I bring a sheet of bubble wrap insulation to direct body heat back into the bag from underneath.

Mattresses are nice but they're a pain to inflate (and keep inflated, since the air shrink sitting on the cold ground).

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Heard View Post
I think Coleman Airbed Cot is for you. This is a very comfortable cot for camping. You can read reviews about very comfortable mattresses for camping. That articles has pluses and minuses of air mattresses, cots.
You realize this is an 8 year old thread.......Im sure OP has made his choice long ago
Old 06-30-2018, 08:43 AM

Agree with others above "cot and foam" by far best. Nice to have very long and wide units but if you are not 6' 3" and 300 lbs stay with smaller cot that fits your size. Tent space is at a premium, do not want one cot blocking all room.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Banned

if you hit any cold weather an air mattress would be my last choice. Cold air will suck the life out of both of you on an air mattress. I'd recommend a cot. Slumberjack is a nice good sized one. Don't know how putting two together and sharing a sleeping bag would work tho. For either solution I'd recommend putting a simple thermarest pad on either to give you a more comfortable sleeping platform. They'll work to provide some insulation if you go air mattress and the same with a cot.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:54 AM

Zombie thread!
Old 07-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Definitely a cot. Air mattresses deflate way too fast. Very rare you get a good one.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:12 PM

5 camp cots in a 10’x14’ Coleman Instant Tent was the best setup we came up with. Worked superbly with small children too.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:50 AM

My wife likes Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam Airbed for camping, we often take this mattress for camping. You can read a review about this mattress http://bestairmattresseshub.com/inte...airbed-review/.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
You realize this is an 8 year old thread.......Im sure OP has made his choice long ago
You're right...and he was probably the last person ever needing advice on how to get a good nights sleep in the outdoors.