Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 04:49 PM

Default Driving in a hailstorm.

So I just got caught in a severe hailstorm around Dunstable and ended up with a bunch of dimpling on the hood and roof of my truck.
Not a huge deal as the truck is 8 years old and already has some paint issues. GMC, I know. I did not stop along the highway as a lot of others seem to do now at the first sign of hail so I was wondering something.
I was always told to keep moving to try to avoid the hail hitting the vehicle with a direct blow versus moving and having the hail hit with a glancing type blow.
I know that in Barrhead I saw another car that had stopped for the same storm and it looked like it had more damage than my truck had for dimples on the hood and roof.

What does everyone think, better to stop or keep driving (as long as it can be done in a safe manner)?

Please keep the discussion civil with nobody trying to tell someone else how to drive or whatever, Thanks.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:53 PM

I’d think your chances of taking out or getting the spider web app on your windshield would be far greater if travelling in a hail storm.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-20-2018, 05:46 PM

If it's denting the panels while stopped, driving may make it worse due to your speed. But, you could drive out of the storm in seconds and prevent more damages. Could be sitting in one spot while the storm swirls round and round hammering the vehicle even worse before it moves off.

I will keep driving if visibility is good and the wipers can keep up. If not, over I go, as far as possible and hazards & lights on.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:08 PM

There's no right answer...
Old 07-20-2018, 08:49 PM

I'll take my chances with the hail versus getting rear ended on the side of the highway.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-20-2018, 09:08 PM

I've been through some wicked hailstorms. I have been on the road with hail larger than toonies and it was nearly impossible to stay on the road. I have never stopped in a storm, even if it is slow going it is better to stay moving in my experience. One storm I drove through many others stopped, and a few of them came out with dents and smashed windows. So far the only dents I have picked up were when the truck was stopped (parked when working, not on the side of the road) out this way we get some intense storms that have come up so fast and hard you have to dig out earplugs or your ears will ring for hours.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:54 PM

Interesting thread. Being new to the area with hail storms seemingly more common, I was curious what was the better tactic.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:08 AM
Banned

I’m not a physicist but I’m thinking that hail is going to hit the vehicle harder when it’s traveling than if it’s sitting still. I think that i’d Rather have someone drop a golf ball size of hail at terminal velocity on my windshield than having them throw it at it at 80 mph + terminal velocity.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:59 AM

Are you driving with the wind or into it?
Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 AM

If I can find cover or an overpass, I will stop as long as I can get well off the driving lane. No cover, I slow down, run lights and flasher, and keep moving so I get out of the hail sooner. Been in some tremendous hail storms, so far only vehicle damaged was a rental, but the hail was baseball sized and even being under cover the bouncing stones dented the sides of the vehicle as they bounced back up off the pavement. That hail killed cows and horses in the field about 200 yards from us.