Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 10:29 PM

Default Whitefish and leaches

Guys talk about catching whites on wire worms and snow cones etc. but no one mentions leaches. How come? Doesn't any body use them?
I would think that a small black or purple leach would just kill those fish as the lakes have leaches in them do they not????? I have caught every kind of fish on a leach, yup even whitefish. Try a black marabou leach with a couple of pieces of crystal flash on each side of the tail. Might even try one with a red or orange bead at the head. I use leaches on the fly rod and under a strike indicator or a float. No problem. If you want to get really fancy try a balanced leach pattern. They work like hot dam, especially under a strike indicator or under a float. Make sure you move them slowly. Leaches don't race. A pull or two then stop, then another pull or two then stop---continue---
I would use a standard #8 hook ,like a 94840 mustad, to a maximum of a #8 hook 3x long, like 9672 mustad.
You know--- I bet they would take a "rolled" Muddler Minnoe also as they are very slim. ( look them up on the net they are used for cutthroat on the coast. I use them everywhere in B.C.. One of my go to flies)
If you want a really good strong hook go to togenenterprizes.com and look for his 2x and 3x strong hooks. They are very good.
Thinking and talking about catching whitefish almost makes me want to come back to Alberta, ALMOST.
Bjay