Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 04:28 PM

Default Castlegar/Columbia river

Heading to southern b.c. early august does anyone have any info on shore fishing for walleye/trout,locations&teckniques etc.Would also be interested in a guided day trip for above species.Would also pay my way to tag along with a local for a day on the river.Cant wait to try the mighty river as it looks like a great fishery.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Coolumbia River

It is a beautiful river but the fishing is on a down hill slide. There are very few places to wade and cast. The government says there are approx. 32to34 thousand sturgeon in the river with all the stocking that has been going on . They put in approx. 144,000 sturgeon 6 to 8 inches long. That is approx 40 kilometers of river from the dam at Castlegar, to the big lake in the states and 34,000 sturgeon. That's over around 800 sturgeon per kilometer. More sturgeon than trout by a long way. They have raised all hell on the trout spawning. Reproduction , I believe, is way down.
I believe that the spawning reproduction is almost non existent. If it wasn't for the Americans stocking Lake Roosevelt in the states we probably would have very few fish in the river as they come up here to spawn and some stay. I have been fishing it here approx. 28 years. A 20 to 24 inch trout was the norm in the 1990's, now it is 10 to 14 inches with the odd 16 to 18 incher thrown in.
If you really want to catch trout bring your boat or hire a guide for a day or two. They know where the trout pile up and it is only in certain runs or back eddies. The walleye population is also way down from what is was and again I believe it is the sturgeon plus they may be getting netted in the states. Most come up from the states in the late spring.
I'm on the river about 150 days a year both wadding and boating. If I wasn't retired I probably wouldn't fish it at all.
I hate to say but good luck, you will need it.
Bjay
Old 07-19-2018, 12:33 PM

Hmmm. Interesting advice. I heard that the walleye fishing was essentially shooting fish in a barrel. And that the possession limit is 16! No?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Hmmm. Interesting advice. I heard that the walleye fishing was essentially shooting fish in a barrel. And that the possession limit is 16! No?
I think the walleye fishing we hear of is only in particular locales, and is better in Washington.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
It is a beautiful river but the fishing is on a down hill slide. There are very few places to wade and cast. The government says there are approx. 32to34 thousand sturgeon in the river with all the stocking that has been going on . They put in approx. 144,000 sturgeon 6 to 8 inches long. That is approx 40 kilometers of river from the dam at Castlegar, to the big lake in the states and 34,000 sturgeon. That's over around 800 sturgeon per kilometer. More sturgeon than trout by a long way. They have raised all hell on the trout spawning. Reproduction , I believe, is way down.
I believe that the spawning reproduction is almost non existent. If it wasn't for the Americans stocking Lake Roosevelt in the states we probably would have very few fish in the river as they come up here to spawn and some stay. I have been fishing it here approx. 28 years. A 20 to 24 inch trout was the norm in the 1990's, now it is 10 to 14 inches with the odd 16 to 18 incher thrown in.
If you really want to catch trout bring your boat or hire a guide for a day or two. They know where the trout pile up and it is only in certain runs or back eddies. The walleye population is also way down from what is was and again I believe it is the sturgeon plus they may be getting netted in the states. Most come up from the states in the late spring.
I'm on the river about 150 days a year both wadding and boating. If I wasn't retired I probably wouldn't fish it at all.
I hate to say but good luck, you will need it.
Bjay
OP was asking about the Columbia River. Your heading said Coolumbia River so must be a different river?
Old 07-19-2018, 04:05 PM

https://www.nelsonstar.com/news/boun...hern-pike/amp/

Get rich catching pike!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk