Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Banned

Arrow Sow bear attacks man twice in one day; he escapes, drives himself to Ennis hospital

*WARNING GRAPHIC* Man Attacked by Grizzly Bear in the woods records himself after walking 3 miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssRU5QnuOGs

http://helenair.com/news/state-and-r...088e1d425.html

Grizzly 10/1/16
Hello everyone.
Thought I should share yesterday morning's Grizzly incident.
I took an early morning hike in the Madison valley to scout for elk. Knowing that bears are common throughout southwest Montana, I hollered out "hey bear" about every 30 seconds so as to not surprise any bears along the trail.
About three miles in, I stepped out into an open meadow and hollered again. A few more steps and I spotted a sow Grizzly bear with cubs on the trail at the upper end of the meadow. The sow saw me right away and they ran a short distance up the trail. But suddenly she turned and charged straight my way. I yelled a number of times so she knew I was human and would hopefully turn back. No such luck. Within a couple seconds, she was nearly on me. I gave her a full charge of bear spray at about 25 feet. Her momentum carried her right through the orange mist and on me.
I went to my face in the dirt and wrapped my arms around the back of my neck for protection. She was on top of me biting my arms, shoulders and backpack. The force of each bite was like a sledge hammer with teeth. She would stop for a few seconds and then bite again. Over and over. After a couple minutes, but what seemed an eternity, she disappeared.
Stunned, I carefully picked myself up. I was alive and able to walk so I headed back down the trail towards the truck 3 miles below. As I half hiked and jogged down the trail, I glanced at my injuries. I had numerous bleeding puncture wounds on my arms and shoulder but I knew I would survive and thanked god for getting me through this. I hoped the bleeding wasn't too significant. I really didn't want to stop to dress the wounds. I wanted to keep moving and put distance between us.
About five or ten minutes down the trail, I heard a sound and turned to find the Griz bearing down at 30 feet. She either followed me back down the trail or cut through the trees and randomly came out on the trail right behind me. Whatever the case, she was instantly on me again. I couldn't believe this was happening a second time! Why me? I was so lucky the first attack, but now I questioned if I would survive the second.
Again I protected the back of my neck with my arms, and kept tight against the ground to protect my face and eyes. She slammed down on top of me and bit my shoulder and arms again. One bite on my forearm went through to the bone and I heard a crunch. My hand instantly went numb and wrist and fingers were limp and unusable. The sudden pain made me flinch and gasp for breath. The sound triggered a frenzy of bites to my shoulder and upper back. I knew I couldn't move or make a sound again so I huddled motionless. Another couple bites to my head and a gash opened above my ear, nearly scalping me. The blood gushed over my face and into my eyes. I didn't move. I thought this was the end. She would eventually hit an artery in my neck and I would bleed out in the trail... But I knew that moving would trigger more bites so a laid motionless hoping it would end.
She suddenly stopped and just stood on top of me. I will never forgot that brief moment. Dead silence except for the sound of her heavy breathing and sniffing. I could feel and her breath on the back of my neck, just inches away. I could feel her front claws digging into my lower back below my backpack where she stood. I could smell the terrible pungent odor she emitted. For thirty seconds she stood there crushing me. My chest was smashed into the ground and forehead in the dirt. When would the next onslaught of biting began. I didn't move.
And then she was gone.
I tried to peek out without moving but my eyes were full of blood and I couldn't see. I thought that if she came back a third time I would be dead, so I had to do something. Staying in position on the ground, I slowly reached under my chest to grab at the pistol I was unable to get to earlier. I felt I needed something to save my life. The pistol wasn't there. I groped around again but nothing. I wiped the blood from one eye and looked around.
No bear.
The pistol and holster were lying five feet to my left. The bear's ferocious bites and pulling had ripped the straps from the pack and the holster attached to it. Now trashed, that backpack may have helped prevent many more serious bites on my back and spine.
I picked everything up and moved down the trail again. I couldn't believe I had survived two attacks. Double lucky!
Blood was still dripping off my head and both elbows and my shirt was soaked to the waist and into my pants. But a quick assessment told me I could make it another 45 minutes to the truck without losing too much blood.
I continued the jog just wanting to put more distance between that sow and I.
At the trailhead was one other vehicle. I really hoped that person didn't run into the same bear.
I snapped a couple quick photos and a video of my wounds, laid some jackets over the truck seat and headed for town. I stopped a rancher along the way and asked him to make a call to the hospital. When I got into cell service, I made a quick call to my girlfriend to ask how her morning was going, before freaking her out and asking her to bring me a change of clean clothes to the hospital.
Another call to 911 and I gave the operator a quick run down of my injuries and asked her to call the hospital and give them a heads up that I was ten minutes out.
Moments later I was met at the front door by the doctor, nurse and an officer. I had to ask the officer to open the door, put my truck in park, and unbuckle my seat belt. My left arm was useless. He was impressed I had taken the effort to buckle.
Once inside, the x-rays revealed only a chip out of the ulna bone in my forearm. Following was eight hours of stitching to put me back together. Most were arm and shoulder punctures and tears. A 5" gash along the side of my head will leave a nasty scar, but I'm hoping my balding doesn't come on too quickly and leave that one exposed.
And finally, this morning, numerous deep bruises and scrapes are showing up from the bites that didn't quite break the skin. Dark bruising in the shape of claws, line across my lower back and butt where the bear stood on me. Also a few more chest bruises and facial abrasions from being smashed and slammed into the ground.
Not my best day, but I'm alive.
So thankful I'm here to share with all of you.
In a couple weeks I will have to clean out the truck a little better. My girlfriend says it looks like I had gutted an elk in the drivers seat.
Todd Orr. Skyblade Knives.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:34 PM

Man, that is a bad day! Too bad he didn't have a wine bottle to fend the sow off, I have heard they are effective..... Amazing he kept his head through the ordeal, and glad he made it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-02-2016, 07:44 PM

Wow!! God Bless you. Attacked by grizzly 2x, survived. Very good write up. Thank You. Get well soon.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Banned

Wow !!!
Old 10-02-2016, 07:51 PM

I was attacked twice by a skunk back in the day.
Hard thing to get over.

Best to you and hope for a quick recovery or a sequil to the movie.

Yur gonna have to come up with a different name than "Jaws".
Already been done.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:54 PM

wow 2 attacks, outstanding composure all throughout -hope he heals thoroughly and quickly.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Banned

I can't believe that he used bear spray instead of his pistol during the initial attack.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:00 PM

Nester yer an ***** but a mighty good storey teller just the same.
Fess up let the clan know the truth man. It's all just mudd in the water.

Tell 'em man.

Ack er wee go tell the folks aboot Nessi.

Thought this would make for a grand October post and here it is then.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Man, that is a bad day! Too bad he didn't have a wine bottle to fend the sow off, I have heard they are effective..... Amazing he kept his head through the ordeal, and glad he made it.
I don't get it. Wine bottle ??

What ? You gonna get the bear in the mood before hand and have ruff sex instead ?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Havn't laughed this hard in a long time.
Thank you all.
I needed that.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Holy moly thats a scary tale. Wonder why she came back for round 2 with her cubs now safe?

Glad to hear he survived a double attack with the injuries he did. Could have been a lot worse.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
I don't get it. Wine bottle ??

What ? You gonna get the bear in the mood before hand and have ruff sex instead ?
Apparently you missed out on a really good story about the guy north of La Ronge who just wanted to finish his bottle of wine in peace at 4 AM....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...2016-1.3767215

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=299326

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Banned

Just seen that pop up on Facebook, that's messed up. One lucky fellow.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ya he says pepper spray...kinda wished it was followed up with 00 and slugs, one heck of a lucky fella.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-02-2016, 08:32 PM

58thecat

You talkin about Nester ?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post

Nester yer an ***** but a mighty good storey teller just the same.
Fess up let the clan know the truth man. It's all just mudd in the water.

Tell 'em man.

Ack er wee go tell the folks aboot Nessi.

Thought this would make for a grand October post and here it is then.
What on earth are you on about??

As for Todd Orr.....Holy shyte!!! Did you see that gash over his ear?!! To the bone!
I can't believe the guy was talking so calmly so soon after the attack.
To be able to lay so still while that Momma was on top of him!!

God was on that man's side!!
Old 10-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Banned

More pics on his facebook group, side of his head was ripped open. Very lucky man. And to have the calm to make a video...

https://www.facebook.com/todd.orr?fref=ts

oops, same pics at the end of the posted vid.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
What on earth are you on about??

As for Todd Orr.....Holy shyte!!! Did you see that gash over his ear?!! To the bone!
I can't believe the guy was talking so calmly so soon after the attack.
To be able to lay so still while that Momma was on top of him!!

God was on that man's side!!
It's funny how some people think everyone is a lier . It makes me beleive that those who have a hard time believing other people's story's are lier's themselves
Old 10-02-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post
I was attacked twice by a skunk back in the day.
Hard thing to get over.

Best to you and hope for a quick recovery or a sequil to the movie.

Yur gonna have to come up with a different name than "Jaws".
Already been done.
Did you even read Nester's post?!! The story has only been all over the news pretty much world wide by now. Do you live under a rock? Nester is not talking about himself.

Montana man documents moments after grizzly bear attack
Old 10-03-2016, 04:57 AM
Banned

I don't get it. He sprayed the bear with bear spray.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I know. I find that odd too. I am sure that I read somewhere it is more effective than a gun. The guy probably didn't use it correctly. Likely never read the instructions completely...
Old 10-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post

I can't believe that he used bear spray instead of his pistol during the initial attack.
That's why I never bother carrying spray... It will NOT save your life, a firearm will.

"Judged by 12, rather than carried by 6."
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
...You meany spicy mist doesn't = impenetrable wall?

If a determined man can power through getting pepper sprayed, it's laughable to think that a determined grizzly can't do the same

Anyways, glad the guy made it through. Sounds like he did everything right, and did everything he could. Probably alive because of that, regardless of how much of a difference the bear spray made or didn't make.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Default Hey Bear?

I've had a couple people who insist on yelling "Hey Bear" while hiking in Grizzly country.

I don't get it. Of the 500,000 words in the English language why would anyone yell "Bear".
The bears don't understand the word, but if you are hiking with anyone else why would you confuse the issue.
The word "bear" should be reserved for when you actually see a bear or signs of a bear. Then you can warn your fellow hikers to take action to mitigate the threat.

If you are around me and yelling "bear" when none are around, expect a thick ear.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
That's why I never bother carrying spray... It will NOT save your life, a firearm will.

Bear spray is meant to be used short range (victim discharged his long @ 25 ft). The brand/canister i carry states 30 feet as maximum range (minus windage).

Old 10-03-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:

i think your wrong, and it doesn't work all the time-

From his book "Bear Attacks Their Causes And Avoidance" Stephen Herrero (foremost authority bear ecology, behaviour and attacks) states:

"In 94% (15 out of 16) of the close range encounters range encounters with aggressive grizzly bears pepper spray appeared to stop the behaviour that the bear was displaying immediately prior to being sprayed".

Old 10-03-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almer Fudd View Post
I've had a couple people who insist on yelling "Hey Bear" while hiking in Grizzly country.

I don't get it. Of the 500,000 words in the English language why would anyone yell "Bear".
The bears don't understand the word, but if you are hiking with anyone else why would you confuse the issue.
The word "bear" should be reserved for when you actually see a bear or signs of a bear. Then you can warn your fellow hikers to take action to mitigate the threat.

If you are around me and yelling "bear" when none are around, expect a thick ear.
Lol I've always laughed at that whole "Hey Bear" chant. Personally, I just talk loud and make lots of noise. But hearing someone nearby saying "Hey Bear" doesn't confuse me at all. I assume they're fellow hikers.
But when I hear:

"HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, A F***IN BEAR!!!!!!!!"

...then I know it's time to get my ass outta there.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:

i know a lady that survived a grizzly bear mauling, her gun jammed, she played dead-that plus her brave & quick thinking are the sole reasons she is here today.

a guy i know stalked and shot a grizzly, wounded it came back on him, had his/my buddy not finished the job, guy with the tag might not have survived.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almer Fudd View Post

Same here! Drives me nuts.

Of course, last time I said "bear" when I saw one, he decided that I was actually calling him, and... (Stinky reaches for a wine bottle that isn't there...)
Old 10-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Bear spray or firearm.

Bear spray works most of the time. Dead bears stop attacking 100% of the time. You decide.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand