Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2019, 06:59 PM

Default Northern Alberta Bull Moose Success

A good buddy wanted to get his first bull moose this year and he had the priority points so when the draws came out he entered for an area I suggested to him. Fast forward to last Thursday morning we had the quads and all our camping gear loaded up including a 12’ inflatable of mine for a 6 day hunt. We got to the spot on a local river to find a couple other gents already camping there with their jet boat. They had no issue with us offloading the rubber raft and tying it up out in front of their camp. They planned on running up river so we planned on heading the other way as not to bother them, although they would be out of our range within 45 minutes of running. We found another spot to camp about 3/4’s of a mile away inland that was a better camping spot, although not as convenient.

Friday morning found us floating down the river and then running back up with a small Outboard. We stopped and called in dozens of spots but never so much as heard a response. It didn’t help that there was quite a bit of jet boat traffic on the river.

Saturday morning into the early afternoon found us doing the same with the same results. When we got back to the launch the two other guys we met previously were loading their jet boat up for the ride out since they got a small bull that morning.

For the afternoon hunt we ran upriver and planned to float back to the launch for dark. We made it as far as we could on the one prop we had and after a short walk around we started our drift back. About an hour before last light we spotted a cow on the river bank. We pulled the raft up and started calling. She knew we were there but didn’t seem bothered by us. With only half an hour of legal light left we decided there wasn’t a bull close by her so we carried on down river. We only made it around the next corner when we spotted another moose up off the river in the willows. I was sure I spotted bone but not 100% positive. We pulled the boat up on the opposite shore and got out. My buddy got set up and a couple short cow calls had the moose move a bit closer to the river where we could see he was a decent bull. The first shot was a positive hit and had the bull run 10 feet before stopping. The second hit had him stand right up on his hind legs and go arse over tea kettle; it was quite the sight. When we got to him the back of his rack was actually sticking straight in the ground.

After a couple hoots and hollers we got to work breaking him down and bagging him up using the gutless method. It was a steep bank and since we were not done until 10:30pm or so we decided to leave him there for the night and come back for first light in the morning. I haven’t had a bull in that raft before so loading him up in the dark also didn’t seem wise.

Here’s a pic from the next morning. My partner took the pic so that’s me in the back of the raft, not my buddy the shooter. Two days and he had his first bull moose on a quite busy section of river. Lucky guy. We both have antlered Muley draws for 118 this November and it’s also his first time hunting them so hopefully his run of good luck isn’t played out.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:10 PM

Awesome story and great moose .. that would be a great adventure and fun way to hunt I’m sure ... how did the boat handle the moose and all the weight??
Old 10-01-2019, 07:21 PM

Great story. thanks for sharing.Good luck on your muley hunt. Nice bull by the way.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
Awesome story and great moose .. that would be a great adventure and fun way to hunt I’m sure ... how did the boat handle the moose and all the weight??
No issues with the bull in the raft. It’s rated for 9 people so weight capacity wasn’t an issue. Amazing how stable it is in the water too.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Banned

Good story! What is the make of the raft?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Good story! What is the make of the raft?
It’s a 12’ Titan. It has an aluminum floor and inflatable V Hull. I bought it used last year and it seems to be of fairly good quality. It’s a pretty good size for these types of hunts but I’d be happier with the flat, non-V hull for in the river. It’s also made for a long (25”) shaft motor and mines a short shaft so as it was it couldn’t go very fast before the motor started cavitating. It’s actually rated for a 25 horse motor so the transom is pretty high.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:28 PM

Awesome story! Sounds like a great adventure. Congrats on the moose!
Old 10-01-2019, 08:56 PM

Congrats to you and your buddy.

BW
Old 10-01-2019, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
It’s a 12’ Titan. It has an aluminum floor and inflatable V Hull. I bought it used last year and it seems to be of fairly good quality. It’s a pretty good size for these types of hunts but I’d be happier with the flat, non-V hull for in the river. It’s also made for a long (25”) shaft motor and mines a short shaft so as it was it couldn’t go very fast before the motor started cavitating. It’s actually rated for a 25 horse motor so the transom is pretty high.
Thank you for the information. I'm looking at a few raft manufacturers such as SOAR and Alpacka as well as Pak Canoes. Basically something that can be transported inside of an aircraft, rather than strapping a hard bodied canoe/boat to the floats. Any experience with the above-mentioned manufacturers?
Old 10-01-2019, 09:39 PM

Congrats bud glad to see you guys got your Bull!!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:15 PM

Way to go , nice hunt congrats
Always wanted to try a river hunt just never happened,
Old 10-01-2019, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the write up Posi. Congrats on a successful hunt. Have never hunted a river but it’s on the bucket list. Me thinks you have plenty of boat for this type of hunt. I’ve got a small story to post up as well from up North but haven’t had the time. Enjoy your backstraps fellas!
Old 10-02-2019, 05:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

A dingy full of meat!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-02-2019, 05:52 AM

Bravo!
Good story line to boot. its always interesting to here the details.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:00 AM

Great work and thanks for sharing! How do you like your inflatable boat for that? How big is the engine?
Old 10-02-2019, 07:22 AM

That is a great adventure and that's what it is all about IMO.

Congrats to your pal on his bull moose and thanks for posting your story!
Old 10-02-2019, 07:28 AM

Congrats, sounds like a good time.

Don't know exactly why but I've seen quite a few moose end up with their rack dug into the ground, the neck all twisted around.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Great work and thanks for sharing! How do you like your inflatable boat for that? How big is the engine?
The raft worked great. Like I said before it was the perfect size but would probably be better without the inflatable V bull. The motor I have is an older 20hp 2-stroke Merc. Both the raft and motor were new to me and I thought the raft would have been a short shaft transom but it was actually made for a long shaft motor. So, my 20 being a short shaft really only pushed us the speed of a 6hp or so before the prop cavitated. My mistake for not checking it closer. I’ll look for a used jet leg for next year and it should be perfect.