Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 06:16 PM

Default Husky Shot in Central Alberta

Crappy target identification, crappy shot - at least the hunter is cooperating. It's stuff like this that doesn't help us.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3971766/h...stern-alberta/
Old 01-17-2018, 06:30 PM

Happened in BC this season too. Not good at all.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Banned

Just posted same on the hunter forum with a guy wanting to know about hunting wolves.

I hope the guy is on this forum.

Look before you shoot you idiot.

If you’re too much of a hair trigger when you see a spec of fur you don’t deserve to be able to hunt, hold a license, or even be in possession of a rifle.

Guys like you give everyone a bad name.

And if you are on here.
Man the hell up and pay the vet bills.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:42 PM

A wolf is much larger a doesn't have an orange collar

buck up! sell your guns and help pay her bills
Old 01-17-2018, 06:48 PM

The husky in the article does not look like a wolf. Idiots like that give all hunters a bad name.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:57 PM

A guy did that here, in a neighbors yard out in the country. Nice big beautiful GS.
They still don't talk a lot.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-17-2018, 07:06 PM

The guy should at least be man enough to take care of the vet bills caused by his ignorance and stupidity
Old 01-17-2018, 07:16 PM

I can't believe the vet bills need to be covered by a go fund me. There is no reason that the idiot shouldn't be on the hook for every penny.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I can't believe the vet bills need to be covered by a go fund me. There is no reason that the idiot shouldn't be on the hook for every penny.
He should be sued, if he won't pay. This is no different than mistaking someone's horse for a moose, and shooting it.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:31 PM

If he does not cover all costs, he is a total and complete waste of skin. Sued would work.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-17-2018, 07:37 PM
Banned

This sort of stuff happens ever so often , If everything and everyone was perfect It would not ! But I have a question , for the fellows that got broadsided in an accident and said I did not see him! Or what about getting hit by a train ? I did not see it ! Kind of makes you wonder how shooting a dog that has a lot of wolf characteristics is quite possible !
How close was he ? what time of day was it ? so on and so forth .
This was in wolf country , Perhaps a blaze vest is in order on such animals? Would you wear a brown or black parka in a hunting zone in bear season?
so here is the ultimate unbelievable story ? I worked for CNR , maintenance section 1973 Makinak Manitoba, one fellow worker was walking on the tracks wearing full winter gear in a very high wind parka hood on etc., a train came from behind and ran him over ! hard to believe ? It Happened!
so before we go off ranting and raving about this and that and what should have happened , stop and take a breath , Life is sometimes difficult to believe !
Old 01-17-2018, 07:44 PM

Almost happened to our Siberian husky. Neighbour shot a Timber Wolf. He thought it might have been our dog. Brought the wolf over in back of truck (huge). Realized it wasn’t our dog. Was happy. My dog was 1/3 size that wolf. The paws were massive.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:47 PM

Revoke his hunting privileges for life. It's best people like this not be out there with guns.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
This sort of stuff happens ever so often , If everything and everyone was perfect It would not ! But I have a question , for the fellows that got broadsided in an accident and said I did not see him! Or what about getting hit by a train ? I did not see it ! Kind of makes you wonder how shooting a dog that has a lot of wolf characteristics is quite possible !
This was in wolf country , Perhaps a blaze vest is in order on such animals? Would you wear a brown or black parka in a hunting zone in bear season?
so here is the ultimate unbelievable story ? I worked for CNR , maintenance section 1973 Makinak Manitoba, one fellow worker was walking on the tracks wearing full winter gear in a very high wind parka hood on etc., a train came from behind and ran him over ! hard to believe ? It Happened!
so before we go off ranting and raving about this and that and what should have happened , stop and take a breath , Life is sometimes difficult to believe !
No excuses when you are looking down the barrel of a rifle
Old 01-17-2018, 08:09 PM

Thats not to far from where I live. Its a very common area for people to walk and hike with there dogs. They should have published his name
Old 01-17-2018, 08:30 PM

Part of being a responsible hunter is the positive identification of your quarry, use your senses, sight, hearing, and common sense, good grief the dog had an orange collar. On the news article I read on CBC, three women were walking on the trail, said women were talking quite loudly, how could one not hear them?

Accidents do happen, but looks like this shooting was due to lack of common sense and perhaps the hunter watched the movie " The Grey " After their plane crashes in Alaska, six oil workers are led by a skilled huntsman to survival, but a pack of merciless wolves haunts their every step.

As mentioned previous here, a learning take away would be to adorn your dog with a blaze orange vest. Also some blue and red LED rotating flashing lights, for those hunters that cannot tell the difference between wolves and coyotes, and domesticated dogs!

Definetly not good publicity for educated responsible hunters, to say the least.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 PM
Banned

Anyone seen a Hijab that was cut around here??
Old 01-17-2018, 08:35 PM

Yet another blow to the reputation of hunters to the neutral public majority.

LC
Old 01-17-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
My thoughts as well. I bet most hunters would have shot at that dog if they were looking for wolves and were on crown land plain and simple.
Too bad to see this happen and good on the hunter for stopping and not running from it
Old 01-17-2018, 08:40 PM
Banned

A hunter is out hunting wolves, I assume in an area with wolves, and an off leash husky shows up 300m out and people can’t understand that it got shot at?

How different would a wolf and a husky look in the conditions that the fella was hunting in? Was the hunter supposed to have the foresight to second guess that it might be an off leash husky and not a wolf? Who would think of that?

I think that anyone with a reasonable amount of hunting experience, and apparently the RCMP as well, could understand how something like this can happen.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
A hunter is out hunting wolves, I assume in an area with wolves, and an off leash husky shows up 300m out and people can’t understand that it got shot at?

How different would a wolf and a husky look in the conditions that the fella was hunting in? Was the hunter supposed to have the foresight to second guess that it might be an off leash husky and not a wolf? Who would think of that?

I think that anyone with a reasonable amount of hunting experience, and apparently the RCMP as well, could understand how something like this can happen.
He didnt look well if he missed a bright orange collar.

The area this happened is right outside of town and is a super popular hiking area for outdoor enthusiasts, photographers etc.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
He didnt look well if he missed a bright orange collar.

The area this happened is right outside of town and is a super popular hiking area for outdoor enthusiasts, photographers etc.
Probably wouldn’t see the collar 300m away.

If he was hunting where he shouldn’t have been then that’s a whole different story. The main theme of the thread was that the hunter was an idiot for not being able to know the difference between a wolf and an off leash husky and that’s what I was addressing.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM
Banned

Maybe we should set up a go fund me for the “hunter” for a new scope or Lazik surgery, or a decent pair of binoculars.

If you are unclear what you are shooting at,
Or don’t know what something looks like at 300 yards
Don’t pull the dam trigger.

If you see it in one second to think you know what it is
Take another to know for sure.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

According to the go fund me page, it was shot with a 22....
She also says the dog was 30 meters in front of her..

I don't know, something about this whole thing doesn't seem right. Perhaps I am just jaded after that family pushed their little girl to lie about being cut.

I want more info.. Always 3 sides to a story.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
According to the go fund me page, it was shot with a 22....
She also says the dog was 30 meters in front of her..

I don't know, something about this whole thing doesn't seem right. Perhaps I am just jaded after that family pushed their little girl to lie about being cut.

I want more info.. Always 3 sides to a story.
If that is the real story then ya it sounds like something isn't right. I'm sure if the dog was 30 yards form the owner it isn't hard to figure out....
Old 01-17-2018, 09:11 PM

300 yards with a 22?

I don't where the 300 yards came from but if he did take a 5' holdover, hail Mary at a wolf this guy's dumber than I imagined
Old 01-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Banned

X2 Jamie ! The media clamp on to a story like this like a bulldog in a fight ! It gets attention , it matters not who gets burned in the end , just so they get their one day of glory ! I,m not condoning what happened here I,m just saying lets be careful , the old saying let the one with no sin cast the first stone!
Old 01-17-2018, 09:14 PM

Based on how terrible the shot, i would assume it was a few hundred yards away. Whenever i take my dogs on crown land, i put a vest on him. Although he is a golden doodle and looks nothing like a wolf.

He should pay the vet bills still
Old 01-17-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
300 yards with a 22?

I don't where the 300 yards came from but if he did take a 5' holdover, hail Mary at a wolf this guy's dumber than I imagined
Probably mean .22 caliber. Ie 22-250 .223 .222......
Old 01-17-2018, 09:53 PM

If the dog was not in care and control of the person walking it, the person walking the dog should also be charged for allowing the dog out where there is wildlife. I have seen wolves out here that look like German Shepherds, and even one I thought was a Saint Bernard. The area was open for hunting wolves and I think even coyotes. I have a hard time with this having trapped and farmed in this area. Did the guy that shot the dog do something wrong, maybe. Was the dog owner breaking the law, If the dog was that far ahead, there was a good chance they where. Who is at fault?
Closed Thread