Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:43 PM

Default Update on the Edmonton incident

Rather than a dozen pm's
He has been released from emergency with pretty bad injuries. They are saying at least 6 weeks off work. He does not at this point require reconstructive surgery which is a bonus.
Thanks for the messages guys, I passed them on to my son for his friend.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-17-2018, 01:38 PM

Hopefully the perpetrators are jailed for longer than the recovery time but I have my doubts....
Old 01-17-2018, 01:39 PM

Thanks Ken, glad to hear he is out of emergency. Long time to be out of work for a young guy. Hope his healing goes smooth and minimum long term issues result.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Thanks Ken, glad to hear he is out of emergency. Long time to be out of work for a young guy. Hope his healing goes smooth and minimum long term issues result.
X2
Old 01-17-2018, 02:06 PM

If ever there was a need for a crowd funding initiative, this is it.

Where can we make a donation to help a guy get back on his feet after missing 6 weeks of work?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:12 PM

Hopefully he has insurance, also there is a victims of crime compensation fund.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:26 PM

What is the Edmonton incident?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
What is the Edmonton incident?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337417
Old 01-17-2018, 03:44 PM

Thanks guys very kind.

I have asked my son for Lucas's email for e-transfer.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-17-2018, 03:59 PM
AO Sponsor

Not that it is restitution, but if your sons friend is not aware, there is a financial assistance program available in Alberta for the victims of serious crime resulting in injury and/or property loss. Check out the following link. It can help tremendously in these types of horrific situations. Good luck to him!

https://www.alberta.ca/help-for-victims-of-crime.aspx
Old 01-17-2018, 05:22 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Not that it is restitution, but if your sons friend is not aware, there is a financial assistance program available in Alberta for the victims of serious crime resulting in injury and/or property loss. Check out the following link. It can help tremendously in these types of horrific situations. Good luck to him!

https://www.alberta.ca/help-for-victims-of-crime.aspx
Excellent, thank you so much

Old 01-17-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
If ever there was a need for a crowd funding initiative, this is it.

Where can we make a donation to help a guy get back on his feet after missing 6 weeks of work?
Not to mention the extremely costly dental bill. I'd start a crowd fund page if was friends with him. Can't rely on the courts or the scumbags to provide appropriate restitution.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Banned

Ken,

Do you know which Safeway this happened at?
Old 01-17-2018, 06:56 PM

Northgate

Old 01-17-2018, 07:49 PM
Banned

Not sure what happened this time but I wish every single person you know best wishes and a speedy recovery.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Not sure what happened this time but I wish every single person you know best wishes and a speedy recovery.
Thanks Tinda. My son's friend was beaten and left for dead in Edmonton Safeway parking lot by 3 guys, went there to meet 1 guy selling a tv from kijiji. Total setup, he lost 4 teeth, has a concussion, broken jaw and eye socket, 12 stitches in his head. He is off work for 6 weeks likely or so.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:01 AM

My son called me last night, I have a few people waiting for an email address. Lucas has said that he may be able to go on sick leave EI or short term AISH and is not comfortable taking money from us.
I explained to my son that having money handed to you is never comfortable, after doing so many drives being on the giving end is always very rewarding and heartwarming, but I would imagine having that handed to you is a huge lump in the throat. I said to him that Paying it Forward is just that, use the resources available to you while you are incapacitated and when you are able to, give back when needed.
This young man is standing his ground though, and saying that with the help of his parents, with possible support from EI he 'should' be ok, although I am not sure he is really thinking clearly, especially with the possibility of what, $20,000 or more worth of implants having to be installed?
We gave him the link from Tirebob, thank you again, I am sure he will look into that as well.
The dental thing has me furious, why does AHC not cover it???

Hang tight for now guys, if and when he decides he is willing to accept our help I will update again. Of course a young guy like this saying he can make it on his own makes me want to give more. Quite the paradox.

Thank you for the generous offers on here and in PM, you members with the true hearts make the forum. You know who you are.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:57 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My son called me last night, I have a few people waiting for an email address. Lucas has said that he may be able to go on sick leave EI or short term AISH and is not comfortable taking money from us.
I explained to my son that having money handed to you is never comfortable, after doing so many drives being on the giving end is always very rewarding and heartwarming, but I would imagine having that handed to you is a huge lump in the throat. I said to him that Paying it Forward is just that, use the resources available to you while you are incapacitated and when you are able to, give back when needed.
This young man is standing his ground though, and saying that with the help of his parents, with possible support from EI he 'should' be ok, although I am not sure he is really thinking clearly, especially with the possibility of what, $20,000 or more worth of implants having to be installed?
We gave him the link from Tirebob, thank you again, I am sure he will look into that as well.
The dental thing has me furious, why does AHC not cover it???

Hang tight for now guys, if and when he decides he is willing to accept our help I will update again. Of course a young guy like this saying he can make it on his own makes me want to give more. Quite the paradox.

Thank you for the generous offers on here and in PM, you members with the true hearts make the forum. You know who you are.
i will stress it again the tirebob link its great loink and resource, the paperwork is bit of work but its worth it in the end. i think the victim is eligible upwards of $50k depending on the crime /injurys , think of it as paying it forward.. the money is funded by Alberta law enforcement throught the proceed of crime confiscation .

hope he get a speedy recovery !!
Old 01-18-2018, 12:24 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
i will stress it again the tirebob link its great loink and resource, the paperwork is bit of work but its worth it in the end. i think the victim is eligible upwards of $50k depending on the crime /injurys , think of it as paying it forward.. the money is funded by Alberta law enforcement throught the proceed of crime confiscation .

hope he get a speedy recovery !!
Forwarded again! TYVM

Old 01-18-2018, 08:42 PM

Scary freakin’ stuff. Hope everything works out for him in the future. If anything else, staunch reminder about dealing with people off of Kijiji (or being in Northside Edmonton in general). You always think of Canadian cities being safe, but I’ve been taking the LRT from the northside Edmonton stops while my truck is broken down, and there are seriously people who look like they’d have no issue stabbing me for bus fare. Can’t let your guard down or be too careful.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:09 PM

Makes a guy think. We might have to have the buddy system when selling something now a days.Real shame the way society has gone. To many people out on the streets that think they can do what ever they want,

Ken I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Pin
Old 01-25-2018, 10:44 AM

This is in the headline today made me think of this
Quote:
Homicide detectives are investigating a suspicious death following a robbery in north Edmonton.

An injured male was found after Northwest Division officers responded to a report of a robbery near 118 Avenue and 82 Street, in Edmonton’s Eastwood neighbourhood, shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday.

The male died after being taken to hospital by emergency crews.

Police had earlier taped off a portion of 118 Avenue, but there was no sign of an investigation around 7 a.m. Thursday. Police did not say whether they were responding to a robbery at a business or a personal robbery.

The scene is outside Catholic Social Services’ immigration and settlement office. Michael Di Massa, who works for the organization, said the incident happened after the office closed. The office was operating normally Thursday.

The male was found a little over a block from a community police station, located on the other side of 82 Street near a Safeway.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:16 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
This is in the headline today made me think of this
That is horrifying- I felt that little heart 'twinge' thinking about my son and this thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:52 PM

has anyone seen a write up on this . I have not been able to find any information about it.

mack
Old 01-25-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
has anyone seen a write up on this . I have not been able to find any information about it.

mack
Phone Edmonton Police services. See what they give you.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Phone Edmonton Police services. See what they give you.

according to Edmonton police services the last assault at northgate was in April.
unless it is still under investigation and they can't release any info.?

mack
Old 01-26-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
according to Edmonton police services the last assault at northgate was in April.
unless it is still under investigation and they can't release any info.?

mack
Got some point you are trying to make?

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 01-26-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Got some point you are trying to make?
you told me to contact Edmonton police services and see what they would give me. This is what they gave me. I live and work a block from the safeway you say this happened at I have a family i am concerned. But no one has heard anything which i find unusual. thats

mack
Old 01-26-2018, 07:52 PM

I don't know what you find unusual.
If you are not involved in an active investigation, you likely are not privy to the information.
Police services are not required to release information to civilians.
I hope everyone remains safe.

edit- I should add, I did not get any information from Police services either, I got it from the victim.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 01-26-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I don't know what you find unusual.
If you are not involved in an active investigation, you likely are not privy to the information.
Police services are not required to release information to civilians.
I hope everyone remains safe.

edit- I should add, I did not get any information from Police services either, I got it from the victim.
as i said I live and work a block from there and have for over 10 years I deal with peoe from that area everyday what i find fun is that no one has heard about this. For it to happen in a parking lot on a main road in the early evening and know one heard about it just seams very strange to me but then maybe i'm just skeptical.....

mack