Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You conveniently and intentionally glazed over the part about calling the RCMP and members in the watch.

Let me get that for you

If the cameras alert me to someone in my garage and I am not horribly outnumbered after I call the RCMP and the guys in the community watch I am going in swinging

Have you considered that if they are brazen enough to go into the garage they are stupid enough to go into the house? Insurance does not replace you, your spouse and offspring. Cameras may give me the upper hand if I know about them without them knowing about me.
My point stands.

Cameras don't give you ninja skills./

Personally, I'd wait for the heavies, rather than pretend I can take on multiple thieves stealing my insured belongings.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
My point stands.

Personally, I'd wait for the heavies, rather than pretend I can take on multiple thieves stealing my insured belongings.
Well there you go. Don't fill your boots. When I get old and unable to handle myself I may feel that way.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
My point stands.

Just because YOU don't have the skills or desire to defend yourself/ property doesn't mean everyone is in that same boat. Some people are very capable of handling themselves and are willing to assume the risks involved. Others prefer to bend over.
I choose to train so that someday IF my family ever needed me to defend them with force I would have a better than average chance of doing that. Some would just prefer to lie down. I fully support your right to do that as well.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Just because YOU don't have the skills or desire to defend yourself/ property doesn't mean everyone is in that same boat. Some people are very capable of handling themselves and are willing to assume the risks involved. Others prefer to bend over.
I choose to train so that someday IF my family ever needed me to defend them with force I would have a better than average chance of doing that. Some would just prefer to lie down. I fully support your right to do that as well.
X2
Old 01-14-2018, 05:16 PM

Default Get Real

Its not a right... its responsibility..... weighted with sound judgement.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I choose to train so that someday IF my family ever needed me to defend them with force I would have a better than average chance of doing that. Some would just prefer to lie down.
x3

well said

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-14-2018, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Happened SE of Bonnyville in dec 2016....landowner shot at armed thieves and was NOT charged.
Oh just one example in the last 2 years? With all the theft and all the big talk we are reading here you would think people are constantly being shot.

Heck we have a guy here training for the day to kill a thief and banding together with his neighbors to do the same yet nothing's come from it.

I can appreciate people's desire to protect their property but those who talk a big talk are typically the last ones who would actually do anything.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:52 PM

Redneck alarm

Day/night motion sensor light-one or two bulb. One bulb alarm only , two bulb alarm and light 110 V ac or Solar that can attach 12 V DC adapter to or is 12 v for alarm
I used 110 V AC and 12 V DC adapter
Most disarm themselves in daylight so just tape over daytime sensor so its always armed 24/7

Light base screw in adaptor for plug in

12 V DC adapter from many tools and toys.

12 V auto back up alarm or siren

Only a small two pair wire is required so alarm can be placed/mounted anywhere.

Get creative where you place sensor ...whether you want to light them up or just set off alarm is up to you.

I made couple for farmer friends...solar powered.
Its nice to watch a strange vehicle enter a 1/4 mile long driveway only to turn around a leave after only 50 feet cause they set off an alarm that can be heard half mile away in the country.

I have 110 v ac on my back deck . sensitivity set at max. Fence 50 feet from deck , vehicles on other side /outside fence. Anyone walking down the alley that steps off alley onto driveway sets off alarm. Has stopped vandalism and gas theft since installed.

Its hillbilly redneck but it works and its cheap.

Not able to upload pic but its pretty simple

The siren also get the coyotes going...more fun.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy21 View Post
Oh just one example in the last 2 years? With all the theft and all the big talk we are reading here you would think people are constantly being shot.

Heck we have a guy here training for the day to kill a thief and banding together with his neighbors to do the same yet nothing's come from it.

I can appreciate people's desire to protect their property but those who talk a big talk are typically the last ones who would actually do anything.
Lol I'm not specifically training to kill thieves......( you might want to work on your reading skills before you join in on an adult conversation) I have stated that I am pro castle doctrine. I am also of the mindset that a man should be able to handle himself even in the event of a dangerous situation and have put effort into making sure that I can.

As for being the type to talk big yet do nothing if you knew me you would realize that I'm the first guy to jump to aid. Even in life and death situations and have proven myself on more than a few occasions.

I support your freedom to choose to hide under the covers. I hope you never are in a situation that would force you to stand on your own with the police 3 hours away
Old 01-14-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Lol I'm not specifically training to kill thieves......( you might want to work on your reading skills before you join in on an adult conversation) I have stated that I am pro castle doctrine. I am also of the mindset that a man should be able to handle himself even in the event of a dangerous situation and have put effort into making sure that I can.

As for being the type to talk big yet do nothing if you knew me you would realize that I'm the first guy to jump to aid. Even in life and death situations and have proven myself on more than a few occasions.

I support your freedom to choose to hide under the covers. I hope you never are in a situation that would force you to stand on your own with the police 3 hours away

Don't you just love watching people hiding behind drawn curtains watching you when the tones go off? People whine and bitch because civic employees and volunteers aren't there fast enough for them. That gets under my skin.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Don't you just love watching people hiding behind drawn curtains watching you when the tones go off? People whine and bitch because civic employees and volunteers aren't there fast enough for them. That gets under my skin.
Well fortunately my close neighbors are of the same mind as we are, and our efforts have resulted in 4 thieves, 2 scum bags in 2 separate incidents being caught by the police for crimes committed not just in our area but the town close by. In both those incidents the cops arrived no less than 3 hours from time of call. In both instances firearms were used as a means of protecting ourselves. In both cases the RCMP said the use of firearms was the best thing we could have done. In neither incident was a shot fired by us. One incident resulted in the RCMP firing shots at the perps while apprehending them. In all 4 cases the scum bags pled out for lesser sentences and two of the guys had priors for violence. I was present in court for each scum bag. Hiding under the covers has never been my thing. Neither is bending over.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:47 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well fortunately my close neighbors are of the same mind as we are, and our efforts have resulted in 4 thieves, 2 scum bags in 2 separate incidents being caught by the police for crimes committed not just in our area but the town close by. In both those incidents the cops arrived no less than 3 hours from time of call. In both instances firearms were used as a means of protecting ourselves. In both cases the RCMP said the use of firearms was the best thing we could have done. In neither incident was a shot fired by us. One incident resulted in the RCMP firing shots at the perps while apprehending them. In all 4 cases the scum bags pled out for lesser sentences and two of the guys had priors for violence. I was present in court for each scum bag. Hiding under the covers has never been my thing. Neither is bending over.
Good catch!!! I have handguns because I love target shooting, but well you know.
I would really like to buy you a steak and a beer some day.
I haven't been to GP in years, but was in Valleyview a couple weeks ago. Maybe 1 day.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:04 PM
Banned

From reading all of the above and the suggestions given , I think we can all agree that all the blustering and whining wont solve the problem.upside
down harrows , guns etc .Given the laws as they are and the fact the police are also stretched to patrol the municipalities ,Thievery is a fact of life , it has always existed and it wont stop soon! We can blame it on the economy , or the way kids are raised , the drugs and alcohol , its here to stay , and the touchy feel governments can and wont do anything to suppress it . Heck go to the middle east and even whacking off limbs does not stop it !
Old 01-14-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
From reading all of the above and the suggestions given , I think we can all agree that all the blustering and whining wont solve the problem.upside
down harrows , guns etc .Given the laws as they are and the fact the police are also stretched to patrol the municipalities ,Thievery is a fact of life , it has always existed and it wont stop soon! We can blame it on the economy , or the way kids are raised , the drugs and alcohol , its here to stay , and the touchy feel governments can and wont do anything to suppress it . Heck go to the middle east and even whacking off limbs does not stop it !
Yup
Old 01-14-2018, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well all I can say to that is two offenses and left with no arms or no hands, he won't be stealing much... Just sayin..
Old 01-14-2018, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Heck go to the middle east and even whacking off limbs does not stop it !
But I'm willing to bet that they don't have repeat offenders.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:38 PM

Not sure where you live, if cats or dogs will be tripping motion sensors, but if that's not an issue, put some flashing red lights and a siren on a motion sensor! Better than a camera, because a camera will only get you a look at what he's taking, the red lights and siren will draw attention and send him scurrying like a cockroach when a light is turned on!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Not sure where you live, if cats or dogs will be tripping motion sensors, but if that's not an issue, put some flashing red lights and a siren on a motion sensor! Better than a camera, because a camera will only get you a look at what he's taking, the red lights and siren will draw attention and send him scurrying like a cockroach when a light is turned on!
Seems excessive when you can sneak up on the 4 goons in your garage and execute them silently John Rambo style.

WWJRD?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Don't bring a fist to a gun fight nor a fist to a knife fight, train as you wish as hard as you can but remember things are not the same as a training bought, if your loved ones are in immediate danger yes engage do what ever is necessary but if not call 911, isolate, barricade, load the 590 and if any ***** comes through the door well....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-15-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Just to bad the courts would not do their part now.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Just to bad the courts would not do their part now.
Almost seems a waste of my time to show up at court. By the time i went to the station to give a statement the dirt bags were already out and back to breaking laws. 3/4 plead out 20 min before court case almost a year later. The lawyer says they wait until then to see if everyone actually shows up ( if not they usually just get thrown out) then they plead to lesser charges and in all three cases they ended up with probation with time served. I loose a few hours pay, scum bags get less than a scolding.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Seems excessive when you can sneak up on the 4 goons in your garage and execute them silently John Rambo style.

WWJRD?
4? Are you sure it's not 11? Might be 70!!!!

Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Couple dogo's should work

Attachment 141620
wow those dogs look like they mean business
Old 01-16-2018, 07:40 PM

Cattle fence will keep them out and you have it up to keep the coyotes out. All the farms have them. They will touch it once and then leave. With the beware of dog sign. You gots to use physalogical warfair again these scum bags. Would you enter if a guy was using electric fence to keep his big wild ass dog in?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Cattle fence will keep them out and you have it up to keep the coyotes out. All the farms have them. They will touch it once and then leave. With the beware of dog sign. You gots to use physalogical warfair again these scum bags. Would you enter if a guy was using electric fence to keep his big wild ass dog in?
No comment on the rest of your post, but psychological warfare will have the best effect. Birds of a feather flock together, and word in the underworld will spread quick enough if they know rural folks are using punji pits and claymores.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
People always say my stuff isn't worth someone's life......i work hard for everything I have( which isn't much) life is expensive and living on a single income with kids doesn't leave tons of extra money just laying around. Our government, both federal and provincial have made things even tighter on the budget with all the changes in taxes. I'm supposed to just suck it up and shell out more money for"security" and "deterrents" just to hold onto things that I have already spent my hard saved penny's for, on top of that if and when MY stuff does get stolen i get to cough out for deductibles and higher premiums just to replace the stuff I ALREADY saved for once. I agree my stuff isn't worth a life but, if you value your life keep your hands off my stuff. otherwise you better hope I don't catch you.
ALL of these guys have made a conscious choice at some point that puts them in this position wether they are pro criminals or just meth heads trying to score.
Our justice system clearly doesn't work to protect honest folks and blaming the cops is not fair ( the ones i know personally are as upset with the way it works as i am) in our area our rural neighbours have banded together to keep watch over each others places. we have caught more than a few scum bags and so far the courts have released all of them.
I sure wish we had castle law here....and for those who say stuff is not worth a life.....if you value your life soooo much keep your grubby mitts OFF MY STUFF. that's your choice...otherwise it's not I that puts a value on your life but you.

And it’s only you that puts a value on your “Stuff”.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
wow those dogs look like they mean business
They are pretty intimidating all right
Old 01-16-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Wire in a kill switch on your truck, cheap and easy to do. Will help save it.
Good idea, while easily defeated most thieves are opportunistic and if something doesn't work like its supposed to it causes them to move on to something else quickly.

Quote:
They also don't really have due process and are not generally considered first world countries. Those who steal over there aren't doing it to support a drug habit or boredom. They do it for survival. I highly doubt 99% of thieves in Alberta are thieving for survival. My guess is they are entitled junkies who can't handle not making easy money and feel they deserve what they take and society OWES them.

Quote:
Here is an idea : Take away their drivers licence for a year .
WOW, And AO was up in arms over the Province becoming a police state because they can detain you and have your vehicle towed for blowing a .05.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:17 PM

Like those low life’s have a drivers license. Or really care if they could have one. Most of them have warrants for one thing or another. And are on first name which the arresting officers lol. Thank the bleeding hearts for the let’s not get tuff on crime courts. Bring back Ralph Klein “ Shoot. Shovel. Shut up “ a true alberta last hero
Old 01-16-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
And it’s only you that puts a value on your “Stuff”.
We all value our own stuff. If you don't value yours you can pm me for my address and send your "stuff" my way. I was brought up to respect other people's property and to put value on it because they put value on it.